Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3368941)   #251
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have the sky channel and I think aside from Brundle and Kravitz the rest are pretty awful and boring (natalie pinkman is ok tho corrr blimey guv!)

Lazenby is rubbish I hate they way when he tries to be funny he doesnt even finish what he is saying and just starts laughing? leaving everyone standing awkwardly until he composes himself.Humphrey was OK but as someone already mentioned he seemed too smarmy for my liking especially the way he 'dismissed' people after he finished interviewing them.

Get Irvine in for Hill to add a bit of humour and honesty,let Steve Ryder a man who knows the sport and is highly professional to present keep pinkman for eye candy, Ted can stay as can Brundle and although a pipe dream replace Herbert with Ross Brawn
Old 17 Feb 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3369379)   #252
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well at least the Sky crew have basic maths under control.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3369661)   #253
Tony Vandervell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tony Vandervell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can everyone else hear the cogs turning in Kravitz's brain?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3369694)   #254
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's a bit below the belt to throw that question out verbally. If it was written down on the otherhand, I'd be flying.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3369725)   #255
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Allan McNish seems like a good addition to the Beebs pundit crew, I think.

Insightful interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRoKW7LHz8
Old 18 Feb 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3369729)   #256
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

Insightful interview.

He's always been extremely articulate... even as a child ! I used to race against him in karts and he wasn't anyway near as nuts as the rest of us (!)
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3369845)   #257
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

Insightful interview.

This is a really good look at what changes and skills the driver is going to have to bring to the race but I wonder if it isn't making GP racing more like endurance racing, and if the skill set doesn't belong more to long distance racing than a GP...
Old 18 Feb 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3369911)   #258
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
This is a really good look at what changes and skills the driver is going to have to bring to the race but I wonder if it isn't making GP racing more like endurance racing, and if the skill set doesn't belong more to long distance racing than a GP...
Agreed, I always get shouted at when I express the view that a GP should be a maximum attack sprint race, he who goes fastest for longest wins!

I don't want to see an economy run, a reliability trial or a service and tyre changing competition, I want to see 2 hours of cut and thrust racing!
Spot the error, what's wrong with GP racing!?

That is why I want to watch GP racing and not endurance racing, were a couple of good sports car sprint races in the past.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 03:55 (Ref:3369945)   #259
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
F1 has always had a tyre and/or fuel conservation aspect. If you want to dump all that, fine, but if you do that, you've created something entirely new.

F1 is something with everything in it, endurance aspects, sprint aspects, strategy, conservation and flat out.

When you had multiple tyres and indeed more leeway with regs .eg V8,V10,V12 you could vary it abit. Each car had more different potentialities and strengths and so on. Now it's regulated much tighter, cars are more predictable.

Think of the old WRC, fast, tough, required stamina (Safari Rally ) but stuff not on the scale of the rally raids.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3369959)   #260
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
F1 has always had a tyre and/or fuel conservation aspect. If you want to dump all that, fine, but if you do that, you've created something entirely new.

F1 is something with everything in it, endurance aspects, sprint aspects, strategy, conservation and flat out.

When you had multiple tyres and indeed more leeway with regs .eg V8,V10,V12 you could vary it abit. Each car had more different potentialities and strengths and so on. Now it's regulated much tighter, cars are more predictable.

Think of the old WRC, fast, tough, required stamina (Safari Rally ) but stuff not on the scale of the rally raids.
I agree that there has always been a fuel conservation aspect and a tyre redemption issue in looking after your tyres. In fact I'd prefer no pit stops and a set to run for a full GP and be looked after.

This would be easy to set up by only allowing manual spanner tyre changes or do what NASCAR does and limit the number of people over the wall, so tyre changes required much more time and in effect having to change tyres cost you more time than it saved by running the tyre use as if it was a two leg sprint....

But my point was that there is a lot to think about in the issues that McNish brought up and I simply wondered if some of them were not appropriate to GP competition.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3370116)   #261
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Remember 2005? No tyre changes and as a result we had overtaking, even at Monaco. I know it wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I would take it over the stupid number of pitstops we've got.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3371526)   #262
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vandervell View Post
Can everyone else hear the cogs turning in Kravitz's brain?
I watched his notebooks on Youtube from Jerez testing and although you learn some interesting snippets, I think the fact he stands around a load of lorries at the back of the paddock turns a lot of people off. It really is dull for the most part IMO. Then again I don't think much can be made of testing as a TV program as its all guesswork and cars just going round and round. Testing can pretty much be covered by a decent written report listing all the interesting facts IMO.

I might be old fashioned with that view but I stopped watching free practise because I realised it was a huge waste of time and time I am not getting back lol.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3371535)   #263
Tony Vandervell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tony Vandervell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm the same way. For the first couple of seasons after F1 returned to the Beeb, I watched as many of the free practice sessions as I could; by last year I was down to a handful of FP3 runs - just the tracks I particularly enjoy. As you say, a well written report will normally suffice.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3371541)   #264
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i used to watch the bbc free practice sessions because the commentary, conversations and guests were so good that it was actually better viewing than the race itself
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3371545)   #265
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
When I had the time, I tried to watch as much free practice as I could (on the BBC - FREE practice). I felt that it gave me a lot more understanding and a feeling of a deeper involvement in the Grand Prix weekend.
A bit like many years ago, as a group of youngsters we would camp at the British GP, from about Tuesday before the race, even (sady) watch the transporters arrive and the teams set up camp & unload the cars. Thene there would be the unofficial (un-timed) practice sessions and the timed (qualifying) ones, all part of the build-up to the main feature - the Grand Prix itself.
As I say, this was when I was a youngster, and only had myself to worry about, so my time was my own. Now I'm a grown-up, with responsibilities to other family members, I can't always even justify the time to 'selfishly' wath the race, but that's my problem and not the fault of the BBC!
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:53 (Ref:3371547)   #266
henners88
Veteran

Wales
I used to get home from work on a Friday afternoon and watch the practice sessions on the red button or even sneak a look while at work. Crofty was quite good in that role with Ant and I really enjoyed Chandhok when he was a guest a few times. These days its rather dull and I'd much rather have a quick read of what has emerged before quali and watch the main sessions instead.

The truth be told I also can't dedicate that many hours to watching F1 these days and I am lucky to see quali. I usually watch the race delayed as weekends are too precious to be in front of the TV during the day for me. I just need the ability to get the Sky races delayed but in full now. Its a bit of a bummer when you either have to wait for BBC highlights or write off a day to stream Sky's coverage live. I doubt I'll be able to do that this season anyway with a new baby
Old 24 Feb 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3371578)   #267
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vandervell View Post
by last year I was down to a handful of FP3 runs - just the tracks I particularly enjoy.
I agree Tony, testing and practice no longer hold the same interest as in my youth. I didn't bother last year with the practice report programmes either, even though i have Sky F1, but its a bit different this year due to all the new regs and various problems certain teams are having, and its cars NOT going round and round thats interesting, so its been very good this year. Next season i'll probably skip them again though as by then we'll know the status quo. If it were Le Mans however, i wouldn't miss a second of ANY session......
Old 1 Mar 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3373617)   #268
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I just need the ability to get the Sky races delayed but in full now
I'm sure that Sky show full race coverage the evening following the race so you can watch it then on Sky Go ?
Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3374265)   #269
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm sure that Sky show full race coverage the evening following the race so you can watch it then on Sky Go ?
That would be all right if I can avoid the result for in some cases 36 hours. I was thinking more of a Sunday evening a few hours after the race. I don't understand why Sky don't repeat it later in the evening as I'm sure a lot of fans watch delayed. Then again if you pay for Sky you can record it, so its only really for people using Sky go who would benefit.

I've always recorded races and avoided results for a few hours and watched at 5 or 6pm on a Sunday. I can still do this with the BBC races and thankfully I think all my favourites races are on the Beeb this year, but its still nice to be able to follow the season in full if I can. Highlights are ok for one of my least favourite venues like Monaco I can concede. Then again Monaco is popular with some.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3374677)   #270
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know which old Formula One car (or other single seater) is used in the Sky F1 ad? Obviously, much of it is CGI, but I thought some of it was real footage. To me, it looked like a Jaguar...

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 4 Mar 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3374826)   #271
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i used to watch the bbc free practice sessions because the commentary, conversations and guests were so good that it was actually better viewing than the race itself

+1
Old 4 Mar 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3374850)   #272
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting...

I wonder if he will be able to control the smirks when Seb has a reliability induced meltdown at some point this season?
Old 4 Mar 2014, 11:56 (Ref:3374853)   #273
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I wonder if he will be able to control the smirks when Seb has a reliability induced meltdown at some point this season?
He'd be pretty sad if he resorted to that in public...
Old 4 Mar 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3374873)   #274
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Interesting...

Who, Humphrey?

He has trouble controlling smirks at any time.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3374884)   #275
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
He'd be pretty sad if he resorted to that in public...
The outrage would be delicious.

Tags
pinks