Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Which Grandstand will you be sitting in?
T4. Panorama 1 4.17%
T5. Dunlop 1 4.17%
T11. Wimille 0 0%
T12. Benoist 0 0%
T13. Singher 0 0%
T14. Bernato 0 0%
T15. Chinetti 0 0%
T16. Sommer 0 0%
T17. Durand 3 12.50%
T18. ACO 2 8.33%
T19. Lagache 2 8.33%
T20. Leonard 2 8.33%
T21. Tavano 0 0%
T22. Wolleck 0 0%
T23. Raccordement 5 20.83%
T34. Paddock Stands 2 8.33%
No Grandstand seat for me 4 16.67%
Just Camping Chairs! 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Feb 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3509726)   #1
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
2015 Grandstand Rollcall

As I did last year, I figured I would start this poll so that we could figure out who is in which grandstand, maybe that way once the crowds clear out and the seats empty those who wish to can find fellow tenthers to sit with.

This will be my third Le Mans and every time I have had a different grandstand seat. First year it was Tavano, last year it was Dunlop, this year Raccordement (or as I refer to it, the one at the Ford Chicane). I decided on Ford Chicane because it's where I found myself during qualifying both of the past two times and I love the view there, so sitting there for most of the race sounds good to me.

So where will you be???
Old 27 Feb 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3509737)   #2
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Same seat in the Lagache (Michelin) grandstand for more than 20 years. I won't dare to change and my neighbours are my friends several hours a year. I like raccordement and Dunlop too, but it's difficult to access without the right ticket during the race.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3509742)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
No grandstand for me,
Old 27 Feb 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3509744)   #4
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Same seat in the Lagache (Michelin) grandstand for more than 20 years. I won't dare to change and my neighbours are my friends several hours a year. I like raccordement and Dunlop too, but it's difficult to access without the right ticket during the race.
Question for you. If you are an ACO member and buy your grandstand ticket through them are you able to get the same seat year after year? How else do you get the same seat? Every year I have bought my tickets through either the tour operator (Travel Destinations) or a ticket broker (Tickets-2-u, through Travel Destinations). So each time I get the grandstand that I pay for, but I never know which seat until I see the tickets the day I arrive.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 20:23 (Ref:3509789)   #5
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As its my first time decided to get a grandstand ticket at Leonard opposite the pits. Its expensive but hopefully will be worthwhile
Old 27 Feb 2015, 20:45 (Ref:3509797)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Same seats in Durand for James, Tony and I this year. Front row, opposite the Audi pits.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3509812)   #7
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leonard, always back row, near to the finish and no big screen near so I can focus completely on the track and pits. Love to sit there in the middle of the night.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3509818)   #8
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
I hope that another benefit of this thread is for people who may not have had grandstand seats before or who have considered others. I see great reasons for why people have chosen the seats that they prefer.

My first Le Mans was spent in the Tavano grandstand and while I know that there is appeal for others I didn't quite feel it from that spot. It was great that I could see the lead up to the start and the podium at the end from the comfort of my seat, also cool that it was directly across from the Toyota pits and that it was directly on the start/finish line. My issues though were that there wasn't a very good view of a big screen (that is a critical criteria for me), and after a while just seeing the cars go straight by left me wanting for something else. Plus it gets really, really loud on that main stretch of grandstands.

Dunlop was better for my tastes. I loved having a chicane to focus my attention on, I would have preferred to have the big screen across the way at a different angle, so that I could see the screen as the cars are approaching rather than as they are going away. What I thought was particularly cool about Dunlop is that you are high up on the hill there. Before going up to those seats I never realized the elevation between that spot and where the airport is. It was like a grand vista of sorts. Honestly if I hadn't been lucky enough to get Michelin hospitality and spend most of my time there I would have been happy to have sat at Dunlop for most of the race.

What I like about Raccordement is that it feels as though the cars are heading towards you, the grandstand is pretty close to the track, and you get the excitement of a double chicane. More often than not there is someone who is going to get it wrong there and you'll see something exciting. Plus you get to see the cars as they are entering pit lane. Of course I haven't sat there for more than a couple of hours in the past, so we'll see how I feel after a prolonged stay there.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3509829)   #9
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Question for you. If you are an ACO member and buy your grandstand ticket through them are you able to get the same seat year after year? How else do you get the same seat? Every year I have bought my tickets through either the tour operator (Travel Destinations) or a ticket broker (Tickets-2-u, through Travel Destinations). So each time I get the grandstand that I pay for, but I never know which seat until I see the tickets the day I arrive.
As an ACO member I could get the same places in the grandstand 18 since 2003 because I was booking by mail. But this year I just sent my email at 10am the first booking day but they only acknowledged of receipt at 4.30 pm saying my booking was only available if there were places left !
More and more people to book in Le Mans but no more employees at the ticket office and the ACO sell a lot of places to Tour operators ( except for the Grandstands 17 and 18 I think ), especially camping places. So I think it will be more and more difficult to keep the same places year after year.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3509862)   #10
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In my first year I dabbled with a traditional pit straight one at Lagache - which gave a good view of the pre race festivities, felt nice and close to the action, but ultimately left something to be desired.

Then became a devotee of T34, loving being able to have the vista down the pit straight, and to lean over and see some of the drama going on at pit wall, to say nothing of looking straight down on cars on pit lane. I'll still say pit out end of T34 at the start of any one of the sessions is perhaps the best place to be, period.

I switched to Dunlop in 2011 - and liked the sweeping view you get as the cars come up to the corner, combined with a good view of a big screen and a leisurely walk from Tertre Rouge.

This year I'm going for the high point at Panorama, hoping it mixes the ability to see the cars come up to Dunlop and then move and get a high vantage on them heading down to Tertre Rouge, which isn't a perspective I'm massively familiar with. Bit of trepidation that the big screen view won't quite be there, but willing to give it a go, and quite looking forward to seeing what it's all like.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3510052)   #11
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First year for me at Le Mans and I really wasn't sure where to go.
Will have the good lady with me so decided on Dunlop Grandstand as it seemed that to have a reasonable view, wasn't crazy expensive and was in relatively easy walking distance of other points.

Also, I am a very keen photographer and it looked to be a stand where I have a chance of getting above the fence for a few shots.

I intend moving around during the race though, trying to get as many different views as I can and wondered if there was anyone who fancied meeting up and changing grandstands for an hour or so ............. maybe someone at the Ford Chicane but would be happy to consider anywhere for a hour or so.
Just send a PM if anyone is interested
Old 28 Feb 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3510060)   #12
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Been very happy in Raccordement for the last two years. Will be back in there this time too.

You really get a great sense of speed there and it's a challenging piece of track for sure. Seen quite a bit of action too. People going straight on, spinning, ploughing into each other.

I'm interested to see what the new Porsche centre does to alter the experience. I'm guessing it depends where you're sat. Hopefully it won't spoil things too much.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3510076)   #13
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can see I selected to wrong seat in the poll, as I will be sitting with Kpy in Durand again this year.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3510128)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've changed the numbers, but I don't seem able to actually move your name......
Old 28 Feb 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3510130)   #15
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
No grandstand seat this year, to keep it cheap. Will probably buy a camping chair from Carrefour upon arriving on Tuesday.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 13:53 (Ref:3510742)   #16
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
What I like about Raccordement is that it feels as though the cars are heading towards you, the grandstand is pretty close to the track, and you get the excitement of a double chicane. More often than not there is someone who is going to get it wrong there and you'll see something exciting. Plus you get to see the cars as they are entering pit lane. Of course I haven't sat there for more than a couple of hours in the past, so we'll see how I feel after a prolonged stay there.
I love it for that very reason.
We are near the front on the Porsche curves side of the stand just behind the disabled seats.
I also like the fact that you're not watching through catch fencing!
Old 3 Mar 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3511141)   #17
JoshuaLeMans
Rookie

JoshuaLeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoping for Tertre Rouge again for when the tickets go on sale! If they don't or we don't want to probably just gonna have 3 camping chairs.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3511331)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLeMans View Post
Hoping for Tertre Rouge again for when the tickets go on sale! If they don't or we don't want to probably just gonna have 3 camping chairs.
I've added that cheaper option.....
Old 4 Mar 2015, 03:01 (Ref:3511458)   #19
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dunlop Again
Old 4 Mar 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3511617)   #20
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only on Wednesday and Thursday grandstand seats for me, because it's for free then.
On raceday I carry my camping seat and create my own grandstand
Old 12 May 2015, 07:00 (Ref:3536661)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Come on folks only 23 people have filled this in yet, where are you all going to be at 3.00pm on Saturday
Old 12 May 2015, 08:56 (Ref:3536682)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assume we'll be in the ACO stand complex as usual, but I've not seen the physical tickets to confirm....
Old 12 May 2015, 11:05 (Ref:3536708)   #23
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raccordement as per the last few years, can't think of any downsides to it. Great views of the cars, a big screen, and the double chicane catches loads of people out.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:38 (Ref:3536714)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's see if the new Porsche centre blocks out the sun this year.