Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 May 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3534752)   #1
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2015 - A record-breaking edition?

As if the battle for victory isn't going to be exciting enough at Le Mans - with the speeds of the cars it looks like we could see quite a few records tumble.

There have been a few wild qualifying estimations out there down to around 3:10! I think a few have gone even lower off the back of what we've seen at the Prologue and rounds 1 and 2.

Sam Smith summarises the situation pretty well here - http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/j...-go-at-le-mans

In there it says that current P1 drivers seem to think a 3:14 lap is possible. If that's the case we could see the fastest ever recorded lap at Le Mans on the big circuit, regardless of configuration.

Jackie Oliver's qualifying record in 1971 with no chicanes and a Porsche 917 was 3:13.9. That's quite tantalising. To put it into context, that would be almost 8 seconds quicker than we saw in qualifying last year.

I have no doubt the fastest ever race lap (same car, driver, year) will be beaten. That was a 3:18.4 which we've been fairly close to in the last decade.

The 2010 distance record 397 laps/5,410.713 km by extension also has to be in jeopardy. But there are a lot of variables around that one.

I know there will probably be a prediction thread nearer to the time but I just thought it would be good to have a place where it can all be discussed.

How low can they go?
Where will you be watching qualifying from?
Will it all be spoiled by cautions and raindrops?
Old 6 May 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3534771)   #2
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I could be there. This year's LMP1s will probably be the fastest cars ever to run at Le Mans. And it looks like they're going to be slowed down for next year. But I'm still going to watch every minute of it - from first practice to the finish - on TV.

I'm quite sure that the race lap record it going to be shattered. They found 6 seconds at Spa compared to last year, there is no reason to assume that it will be less at Le Mans.

In qualifying, at least the record for the current track configuration will be broken. The 3:13.9 is about what most drivers expect for the pole, so that one will be close.

For the race distance, I don't think it is unlikely that the 2010 record will be broken. The slow zones will cost less time than a full safety car period, so if we get a dry race, it is possible. Last year, they did 379 laps, but the rain and the turbo changes for the Audis cost some laps.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3534806)   #3
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm quite skeptical of these times that are being bandied about. I'll lay my neck on the block and predict 3:16 - 3:16.5 for Qualy. I could be wrong, and often am.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3534808)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Just checked the 2010 race timing sheets, that race had 1h10m of Safety Car intervention (I swear I can remember more than that...). Can't find readily-available information for how much SC we had last year, but I think I counted 5 full SC periods and 2 or 3 slow zones.

And if the pole time is not under 3:15 this year, I will be VERY surprised and a bit disappointed.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3534811)   #5
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just in time:http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/vin...mance-au-mans/
Old 6 May 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3534836)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were running 3.25's in 2011 in the first year of the R18 and that didn't feel slow. Even if they were to peg them back to around there they will just creep their way back up.

But with that all looming there is the feeling that if these records don't go this year then they might not for a while.

I also don't subscribe to what (I think it was) Hindy said - that this year records will be set that won't be broken. Or something like that. That seems a bit extreme given the manufacturer interest and the hybrid era. Surely they are only scratching the surface of what is possible.
Old 6 May 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3534871)   #7
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the arrival of Porsche last year and the sport getting more popular by the year I think we are in for another record: spectators, good for the sport, not shure if I'm happy with this record.
Old 6 May 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3534884)   #8
BTCC 318d
Rookie

BTCC 318d has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If they do peg them back, they'll still be epic. They'll also be this fast again 5-10 years down the line - it happens in every series,every time as tech develops.

I know we all hate seeing any series slowed, but I'd rather see them 30s slower, than see 2013 again (or worse) - which we surely would have many times over if the rules stayed the same throughout history.
Old 6 May 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3534929)   #9
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
With the arrival of Porsche last year and the sport getting more popular by the year I think we are in for another record: spectators, good for the sport, not shure if I'm happy with this record.
They'd have to top the 300.000 mark to come close. Weren't the biggest crowds at Le Mans in the early seventies?
Old 7 May 2015, 00:00 (Ref:3534955)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
They'd have to top the 300.000 mark to come close. Weren't the biggest crowds at Le Mans in the early seventies?
On pistonheads there was mention of even the 'unlimited' campsite Beausejour being sold out! But then an other poster said there were 40-ish tickets available again. Then it was sold again, and last time I checked (24 hours ago) they were available again. Seems like the ACO dripfeeding ticket availability, due to huge interest.

And for the people who went to Spa, to me it seemed a lot more busy than last year? Anyone else got that perception?
Old 7 May 2015, 05:41 (Ref:3535030)   #11
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC 318d View Post
If they do peg them back, they'll still be epic. They'll also be this fast again 5-10 years down the line - it happens in every series,every time as tech develops.

I know we all hate seeing any series slowed, but I'd rather see them 30s slower, than see 2013 again (or worse) - which we surely would have many times over if the rules stayed the same throughout history.
The only way you can guarantee that 2013 is never repeated again is to ban racing altogether. If you race, you have to accept risk. Sure you can try and reduce it, but one can never eliminate it completely unless you stop the activity.
The discussion is really about how to reduce the risk. There are many ways of doing this. Some more effective than others. I personally think that reducing a lap average from say 250Km/h to 245Km/h is not the first knee jerk reaction one should take when trying to find the best solutions for risk reduction. One can as easily die at 300Km/h on Les Hunaudieres as at 340Km/h.
They choose to slow down the cars because it is the easiest and cheapest way to make them feel like they have done something to address the problem. It relieves the "pressure" of having to do something about a perceived problem. Is it the most effective? Not necessarily.

As I posted before (half jokingly): It is not the speed that kills you, but suddenly becoming still.

P.S. I read somewhere that the ACO/FiA are looking at improving the safety of the cars for 2016 and onward. This is more the route I would like them to take. In car safety has improved in leaps and bounds, but I suspect that there is still a lot that can be done.

Last edited by Spyderman; 7 May 2015 at 05:49.
Old 7 May 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3535039)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think the ACO is drip feeding camping tickets this year, the GS tickets are still available so perhaps numbers are not as big as some people seem to think, and with no major french manufacturers the attendance will be lower than those years for sure
Old 7 May 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3535052)   #13
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Here are all the Le Mans pole positions from 1963 onwards. Interesting to see that the Ford GT 40 MKII did the desired 3:30 lap in 1967! I'll start ironing my bell-bottoms.
http://www.lemans-history.com/poles.php
Old 7 May 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3535086)   #14
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think the ACO is drip feeding camping tickets this year, the GS tickets are still available so perhaps numbers are not as big as some people seem to think, and with no major french manufacturers the attendance will be lower than those years for sure
As far as I can see only GS tickets left are at Tetre Rouge... non?
Old 7 May 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3535132)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The aco seem to be releasing a few at a time but as you know Gav i stroll out of the campsite at about 5 to 3 and watch the start from there
Old 7 May 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3535141)   #16
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt the ACO are drip feeding GS tickets, they can usually sell them easily enough, and for them it's better to have the money!

It's possible that they get blocks of tickets back from the agencies and then release them back for sale on the website.

However, for me another barometer on ticket sales is how quickly Parking Blanc sells out as they are number spaces. At the moment they are still listing them on the website, whereas in recent years they have usually been sold out by now I think.

Still, we will find out how busy it is in a little over 5 weeks time
Old 7 May 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3535152)   #17
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The aco seem to be releasing a few at a time but as you know Gav i stroll out of the campsite at about 5 to 3 and watch the start from there
And I shall raise a bottle your direction at that time from the Ford Chicane and hope/ expect to rejoin you in TR in years to come!