Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2018, 04:26 (Ref:3849530)   #126
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Can the camera (beside the air box) that isn't covered see the steering wheel?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3849820)   #127
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Before our resident paddock insider breaks the story..

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...poare/3175763/

#conspiracy
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3849826)   #128
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Can the camera (beside the air box) that isn't covered see the steering wheel?
Not 100% sure if it can to be honest. I'd say it would be side-on, and most (if not all) of the steering wheel might not be not visible from that angle. But, that camera is an experimental camera Ferrari have been using on their cars for Friday practice for a few rounds now. It is used to experiment with different shots around the halo is the information I was told a while back. Only in use when the car is on track apparently.

Here's Vettel with it mounted for Friday at the Belgium GP.

Friday at the Spanish GP, mounted on the opposite side.

On the camera issue, the photo below is from today at Singapore. Ferrari have ignored the FiA's instructions to not cover the FOM camera. They have built an airbox cooler that blocks the view of the FOM camera.

A little more on this HERE.

So Ferrari have access to all the other teams footage from that FOM camera (which is on all cars), but the other teams do not have access to Ferrari's footage. Interesting.

Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3849836)   #129
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Well, that is false. They do have access to Ferrari’s footage.
Nobody said it wouldn’t be a black screen though.

Also must have missed the part where Ferrari race with this device.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3849852)   #130
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Before our resident paddock insider breaks the story..

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...poare/3175763/
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
On the camera issue, the photo below is from today at Singapore. Ferrari have ignored the FiA's instructions to not cover the FOM camera. They have built an airbox cooler that blocks the view of the FOM camera.

A little more on this HERE.

Skam85 - thanks for posting the story.
F1Guy - thanks for summarising what was in the link Skam85 posted and duplicating the link.

One query that I have still not seen a definitive answer to yet though:

Was the instruction to Ferrari that they must not cover the camera, or that they should stop using the bag?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3849857)   #131
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Skam85 - thanks for posting the story.
F1Guy - thanks for summarising what was in the link Skam85 posted and duplicating the link.

One query that I have still not seen a definitive answer to yet though:

Was the instruction to Ferrari that they must not cover the camera, or that they should stop using the bag?
Appears to be just the cooling bag:

“With FOM not happy about Ferrari cooling its camera equipment, the FIA notified Ferrari ahead of the Italian Grand Prix that it should stop using the cooling bag with immediate effect.”
Old 13 Sep 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3849869)   #132
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Appears to be just the cooling bag:

“With FOM not happy about Ferrari cooling its camera equipment, the FIA notified Ferrari ahead of the Italian Grand Prix that it should stop using the cooling bag with immediate effect.”
You really have to wonder at the intelligence of the people who draft these rules. Lawyers developing business?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3849870)   #133
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems like Ferrari obeyed the instructions absolutely to the letter.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3849872)   #134
Skam85
Veteran

The beauty of F1 is every team will continue to try loopholes for literally every rule.

Haas unfortunately fell foul of “look you can keep the floor but if someone appeals don’t blame us!” last race.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3849873)   #135
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Seems like Ferrari obeyed the instructions absolutely to the letter.
The picture of a moral compass and upstanding behaviour by Ferrari. Time to close the thread
Old 13 Sep 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3849874)   #136
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
This is one of the things why F1 will always interest me. The ingenuity of the teams to push everything including the rules to its limits. I love it.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3849883)   #137
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One must wonder whether the FIA makes the rules so easy to circumvent in order to creade a good stir on the net/in the media.

What would have been so hard to say "do not obstruct the camera's view or otherwise interfer with the camera" if that way really important?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3849884)   #138
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
This is one of the things why F1 will always interest me. The ingenuity of the teams to push everything including the rules to its limits. I love it.
i rather enjoy it as well.

there's a bona fide development war going on and some of these attempts at secrecy is something we havent seen much of in the last few years.

im finding it more fun then irritating.

couple question about this though...

how often is this camera on? is it on the whole weekend (like at night) or just during live sessions and when the car is on the grid/track? surely it shouldn't be on while the car is in the garage (that would be like a live camera on in the locker room).

do teams really have access to each other's full camera streams? rather can they tune into that video feed whenever they want or do they just see the feed whenever race control selects that camera feed for broadcast on the world feed?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3849885)   #139
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Concerning feeds: if you subscribe to F1TV you can access onboard feeds for any driver at any time. You cannot choose the camera, though (at least not that I have seen that yet). Therefore the feed is live during any session.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3849886)   #140
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Whether it's pushing something to the limits, or just a low-tech tactic - one thing it has done is get people talking about what the camera may or may not see, and focus on this area of the car.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3849889)   #141
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
One must wonder whether the FIA makes the rules so easy to circumvent in order to creade a good stir on the net/in the media.

What would have been so hard to say "do not obstruct the camera's view or otherwise interfer with the camera" if that way really important?
Because the FIA, like all other organisations, has to deal with bureacracy. Decisions like these are never based on logical reasoning or 'common sense'. It's something pretty much inherent to any human endeavour that involves more than two people.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3849906)   #142
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I used to write meaningless numbers on tyres and the chassis in chalk when we were racing and had a lot of fun with it. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story when a competitor asks a question.
Have you just got a job at Ferrari?

This new device is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Oh no the injustice of it all. The rubbish rule makers. Head shrapnel everywhere

Team of the race already!
Old 13 Sep 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3849911)   #143
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Concerning feeds: if you subscribe to F1TV you can access onboard feeds for any driver at any time. You cannot choose the camera, though (at least not that I have seen that yet). Therefore the feed is live during any session.
i have a mental image of teams having to pay for an F1TV subscription and finding a VPN to make it work in host countries where the service is not available!

anyways, are those onboard feeds also available when the cars are in their garages, between Q1 and Q2 for example, or basically at any time the teams are working inside their garage.

i get the need for people/fans to have real time access but surely the teams also have right to work on/set up their cars in private. this is a sport after all and too much access (particularity in the private moments) takes away from the sporting challenge.

i may be missing the point of 'icegate', but its a bit odd that this situation even exists imo...should the FIA/FOM really be providing a platform for the teams to spy on each other?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3849922)   #144
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i get the need for people/fans to have real time access but surely the teams also have right to work on/set up their cars in private. this is a sport after all and too much access (particularity in the private moments) takes away from the sporting challenge

Don't forget that each car also has a designated FIA technical inspector monitoring his/her car during the whole weekend. Mind you, I don't know what happens when nature calls, unless they have certain apparatus strapped to their bodies.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3849931)   #145
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that each car also has a designated FIA technical inspector monitoring his/her car during the whole weekend. Mind you, I don't know what happens when nature calls, unless they have certain apparatus strapped to their bodies.
ah yes, classic Ferrari trick...too much water in their espressos!
Old 13 Sep 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3849949)   #146
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And here lies the genuine truth. Ferrari are clearly doing nothing wrong, because they would already be in trouble.

They're obviously doing something to peak everyone's interest. People are responding, and ferrari are loving it.
The latest is just feeding the fun, so let's embrace it as part of the F1 pantomime.
Or we could cast ferrari as Satan in a new serial, and cheer on their rival in the hope of seeing good triumph over evil. Where SV (Satan Vero) aims to usurp the the obvious righteous campaign of LH (Lordo Heroico) in this battle of eternity.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3850028)   #147
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Everyone is pushing the envelope, it's what F1 is about
Old 14 Sep 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3850035)   #148
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Just checked during the session: onboard views are blacked out on F1TV when the car is in the pits. Exception currently: Magnussen's car. The feed is live but the view is obscured by some kind of device.
Attached Thumbnails
mag.PNG  
Old 14 Sep 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3850041)   #149
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly, Haas are cheating. If they aren't, they'd use a dry ice bag.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3850044)   #150
Skam85
Veteran

It’s all Vettel and Ferrari’s fault; after all, Haas have Ferrari engines.