Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:50 (Ref:897149)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what was up with Sauber?

The same engine, last years gearbox, near identical chassis and same tyre information. I didn't expect Sauber to be in the top six but I didn't expect Fisi to be following a Jordan for so long. (I did expect Massa to spin.)
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:897155)   #2
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa has been offered a job as an off road tourist guide
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:54 (Ref:897156)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only thing that amazed me about Sauber was the fact that Massa was able to keep up with Raikkonen so easily, sometimes even catching him.

I fear that this years Mac is a real stinker...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:56 (Ref:897159)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looking at the fastest laps .. Fisichella was as quick as the BAR cars . his problem was poor start . getting on the grass . in a simillar way to JPM .. Massa .. was on pace with the McLaren's eartly on ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:08 (Ref:897172)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expected Sauber to do much better with this car. Its Ferrari roots, and Saubers state of the art wind tunnel, should have combined to make this car far more competitive.

I have a question, that some may scoff at, but, here it is. Could Fisichella have been stuck driving "slow" cars for so long, that the Sauber maybe more than he's used to handling in a race situation? I mean, he looked thorougly awful for most of that race, and I'm just wondering if its the car, or partly him?

Anyway, right now, neither Fisi, or Massa, look ready for a Ferrari ride...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:18 (Ref:897179)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothings up with Sauber. They were being their usual anonymous selves!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:58 (Ref:897206)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the car is too "fab" to be it, the drivers are showing they don't have something-this race. Sauber has no excuse being so messy and not performing. The Jordan, minardi, toyota even should be no trouble- the Saubers with all their tech and good equipment should be right behind the renaults if not over them behind mac and williams it is believed the car is the GA2003 with some new suaber bits? well the drivers really stunk it up i think
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:07 (Ref:897215)   #8
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always said the best thing about last year's Sauber was the driver line-up.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:36 (Ref:897283)   #9
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And am I misunderstanding Fisi or is he criticising Nick for racing him?

Last edited by santori; 7 Mar 2004 at 18:39.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:43 (Ref:897288)   #10
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Sauber were most hampered by poor starting position on the grid. They were clearly quicker than a few of those in front of them. Before Felipe's day ended he was moving up and Fisi too was improving. I think that we will see better results from them over the next few races.

Fisi wasn't blaming Nick, but I do think he was a bit frustrated at not being able to quite get by as quickly as he wanted. He was faster, but not faster enough.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:30 (Ref:897324)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had high hopes, but Fisichella's performance was an embarassment. Not only could he not Heidfeld, he was well behind Massa. Massa was as ragged as ever and Fisi wasn't even all that smooth in comparison...

Its baffling.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:56 (Ref:897393)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I had high hopes, but Fisichella's performance was an embarassment. Not only could he not Heidfeld, he was well behind Massa. Massa was as ragged as ever and Fisi wasn't even all that smooth in comparison...

Its baffling.
Sorry but he's living up to my opinion of him. Hope he gets a great drive to prove me wrong.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 21:27 (Ref:897437)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber, Fisichella and Massa just has AVERAGE written all over it.

I'm not in the least bit surprised.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 21:35 (Ref:897446)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
I fear that this years Mac is a real stinker...
When will we see the MP4-17H?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Mar 2004, 22:51 (Ref:897529)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ahhh, the Fisichella doubters are back at it again. To deny this man has outstanding talent shows an alarming level of ignorance. Go and look up his performances against his teammates over the years. Especially you Button fans...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 22:59 (Ref:897536)   #16
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Massa was as ragged as ever...
think u hit the nail on the coffin there - he may b a sponsor's dream (camera kept coming back to him going off somewhere every couple of laps), but i remember thinking "he hasn't changed at all, has he?"
Old 7 Mar 2004, 23:06 (Ref:897541)   #17
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has to be so much bad blood between heidfeild and fisi, Jordan and Sauber that they were swapping virtual punches through out the race. Great racing! Jordan will be happier with the outcome i would think.

Did anyone get a look at the revs ferrai/ sauber and Jag/ Jordan were running, Jordan were about 1000 down on jag didnt get a look at sauber. Maybe this is the issue with sauber.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 23:11 (Ref:897546)   #18
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Sauber, Fisichella and Massa just has AVERAGE written all over it.

I'm not in the least bit surprised.
Average? They have the F2003-GA!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 23:13 (Ref:897547)   #19
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi was quicker than Massa all weekend, except he made a blue in second qualifying and got pushed back on the grid.

In the race Heidfeld was holding him up, Fisi had a slow puncture then managed to get by and for the rest of the race he was running with the Williams cars.

I would be waiting a while before you write this bloke off. Imagine what he would be doing in a BAR, especially if Button is doing the job that he is.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 8 Mar 2004, 04:22 (Ref:897658)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Having a Ferrari copy isn't the same thing as a ferrari, even if you built it from the Ferrari drawings. They won't know at this stage how to get the best out of itwithout brawn and Byrne looking over their shoulders. even with the bridgestones their performance was very average.
Still their performance was appalling in light of Hiedfeld's Jordan drive. How galling it must have been for Fisi to struggle getting past a Jordan when he had a Ferrari 'replicar'. Maybe the Jordan is a significant improvement on last years car.
If the MP4-19 is an improvement on the MP4-18, then we know why McLaren didn't use it last year! However my bet is that it is the engines that are the 'weakest link' in this partnership, not McLaren engineering.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:897836)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for you guys that explained it properly-that Fisi had probs and his lap times were great otherwise.

"the Mac is a real stinker"
When massa was dicing with Kimi,the mac had sky high engine temperature.

I look forward to more representative races to show the pace (or lack of...) of the Fer..oops,the saubers
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:41 (Ref:897840)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05
I would be waiting a while before you write this bloke off (Fisi). Imagine what he would be doing in a BAR, especially if Button is doing the job that he is.
What's that supposed to mean? As far as I can tell Button is doing a fantastic job. By the end of his (awful) year as Fisi's team-mate Button did eventually get things back together - I think that season was more of a reflection of a young guy dropped into a champagne lifestyle with not quite enough guidance than anything to do with his speed which is almost as good as any driver out there. He emphatically has got his act together now though.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:59 (Ref:897859)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would've though Fisi would've done bettter, Massa did well but showed little signs of this apparent 'maturity' that he'd achived.
I guess the car will develop over the season well with help from Ferrari.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:05 (Ref:897862)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I expected Sauber to do much better with this car. Its Ferrari roots, and Saubers state of the art wind tunnel, should have combined to make this car far more competitive.

GP Racer,
from what I know, Sauber's new WT has started just a pocketful of days ago, second half of february; therefore it's early to expect results from it.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:07 (Ref:897864)   #25
bumpsteer
Rookie

bumpsteer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Ahhh, the Fisichella doubters are back at it again. To deny this man has outstanding talent shows an alarming level of ignorance. Go and look up his performances against his teammates over the years. Especially you Button fans...
Fisi will never get a drive with a top team. His technical feedback is non-existant. When Heidfeld tested the Jordan for the first time he told the engineers more about the car in one day than Fisi did all year. The top teams know about this which is why they chose to ignore him.