Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2758082)   #1
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC, BRANDS HATCH, SATURDAY 11 SEPTEMBER 2010

Rather surprised no posts on this meeting before or after. I guess this is always a rather low key meeting on the HSCC calendar, but enjoyable just the same. Yesterday was no exception. Mixed afternoon weather conditions led to some interesting races.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2758235)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree Peter, you would have thought that one of our illustrious band of HSCC posters might have started one. So, what happened? Anyone want to give their account of the day's racing activities or of the particular race they were in? Any pics?
Old 12 Sep 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2758244)   #3
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys

Ok I had a mixed day the formula ford 1600 race was great fun due to an engine problem I qualified 5th which was reasonable the race was good and the rain only made it better. Got a good start but didn't get any places chased David wild for a couple of laps and managed a pass then the next bit was a blurr but got up to third chasing Ian Ashley. Safety car came out Darren b has a little spin behind the safety car (sorry Darren but it was amusing) and he ended up fourth (I think??) I managed a good re-start and Ian was struggling with old tyres so I lead well for a few laps anyway dazzler soon caught up and I held him for a couple of laps but he managed to get passed the Macon working perfectly as always it was a good race probably the best I have had at brands Indy

The CF3 race was ok put it on pole in changing conditions but a setup error cost me the chance to challenge simon h (you'd think we would know by now). Oh well after an excursion Pat G got passed and so ended up third.

Now joint second in the ff1600 championship with Ian so an exciting end to the year at Silverstone awaits

Benn
Old 12 Sep 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2758247)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
September Brands is a low key meeting on the HSCC calendar, but I believe it is part of the package that ensures they get the Superprix. At something like £100 per minute of track time, it's hard for them to cover their costs. However, I like to think that we (Historic FF2000) did our bit by providing a grid of 23 cars (matched only by the saloon car grid of meeting sponsor Bybox).

No pictures from me, I'm afraid, but several performances stood out in the races in which I had an interest. Olly Thorpe was on another level to the rest of the field in Historic FF2000. Doug Elcomb worked wonders with the Dreossi Special (to call it quirky would be the understatement of the year) despite having his first ever standing start - he and the car have only ever raced in Canada until now. Simon Hadfield set the record straight after his Oulton problems in F3, but Pat Gormley was a real star in the Safir (a car I used to help out with in 1975/6).

It would be great if anyone has some pictures (particularly of the Dreossi), there seemed to be a reasonable number of spectators in attendance.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2758329)   #5
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always enjoy this meeting, a real "clubbie" atmosphere compared to some, big names and big motorhomes generally not in attendence.
I thought the racing was pretty good and was amazed at the number of Imps that turned out (8 or 9?)
It was good to meet Doug Elcomb from Canada with his amazing Dreossi Special, pretty quick for a "littleun!" - thats the car, not Doug
Old 12 Sep 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2758353)   #6
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race despite the red flags, first was because of oil from James Claridge's Anglia and the second because of a 3 car incident at Paddock which ended the race after only 9 laps.

For me, an even worse than usual rubbish qualifying (18th) but finished 9th having been chased for the 2nd half by the 3 that went off at paddock. Probably wouldn't have done any better if it had gone full length.

Mark Jones (Lotus Cortina) won from pole with Roger Cope (BMW) 5 secs behind in 2nd and Peter Hore (LC) 3rd. New owner of Dan Cox's LC, Mike Gardiner, put on a good show, starting 5th & finishing 4th.

A happy postscript - I was a bit p'd off with my qually time coz I know I'm 2 secs quicker than that, found the throttle wasn't opening fully, adjusted cable, bingo. Must have been like that since it broke at Snet in June. Doh!
Old 12 Sep 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2758406)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pps - Eddy V, good to meet you albeit briefly. Sorry, forgot to wave, I was busy!!!
Old 12 Sep 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2758433)   #8
Muttley61
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bexley, Kent.
Muttley61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Car Electrics Anglia 61

Hi eveyone.From a not so happy Brian. Don't do alot of posting but this time I have to! As Colin said the By-Box race was brought to an abrupt end when the blue Mini of Jim Burrows tried to pass my Anglia on the inside of Paddock Hill bend but at that speed only managed to try and use me as a brake WRONG! I new everybody was behind but not close enough to pass and only a maniac would come up the inside at that speed. These Mini drivers must remember they need a reasonable amount of talent to make their car handle but the impossible needs devine intervention. I must say that generally most of the guys are good, competative drivers who have a really nice car to race but some forget that this is a non-contact sport and certainly not like modern touring car racing. If I can find parts for my car they are usually an arm and a leg and are not available off-the-shelf like some other older cars, so lets have aggressive, hard, competative racing but less contact especially with my bloody Anglia!
Up until the second red flag incident, for which I took centre stage I was having a good day. Qualified 12 and had 2 really demon starts, the second was so good that I followed Jimmy Fuller up to Druids only to have him take to the grass on the infield which ment, for me to miss him coming back on, I had to "buffalo girls" (go 'round the out-side ) and Colin and the big blue chicaine got in front of me but I did enjoy chasing him and at every corner and see this dark blue whale twitch its tail.
Robyn you do need an alternator! ! !
Brian Webb
Please see the pictures, which I think you must agree, admonish me from any fault
These photos were very kindly sent to me by a spectator who I would like to thank.
Attached Thumbnails
misc ry b hatch 255.jpg   misc ry b hatch 256.jpg   misc ry b hatch 257.jpg  

misc ry b hatch 258.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2758520)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Feel for you Brian, I had something similar with a mini a while back, nothing as bad as that though. SO many people dismiss old Fords as cheap bangers, if only thay had to pick up a panel tab!
Old 13 Sep 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2758561)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, panels for any old cars of 40-50 years are both difficult and expensive to acquire, if there are no companies like Heritage to remanufacture them in quantity. Accidents happen, of course, but motor racing is not a contact sport and historic motor racing in particular does its best to avoid such incidents. I'll not comment on the specific incident, as the pics speak for themselves. Minis do seem to be raced particularly enthusiastically, as I've noted from other events that I have attended, Possibly their understeering qualities from a period when such was relatively unusual has something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks to all for their contribs on here; look forward to more on this 'low key' event!
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2758700)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Brian, judging from the pics you were a lucky man not to end up on your roof. It's infuriating when this sort of thing happens, but count your blessings......
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2758714)   #12
AntonyRoss
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridge
AntonyRoss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed the meeting - both watching (remains the best in the UK for spectators) and racing (Lotus 59/69 in Classic Racing Cars). It was extraordinarily slippery (span twice!), particularly after the second shower - but the marshalls did a great job keeping it all running on time and managing the often needed flags. Thanks to all involved.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2758903)   #13
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

A good day of Historic racing i thought! Great racing provided by the Historic touring car's in particular. Although most categories had a good turnout.

The mentioned incident I managed to capture on video if anyone fancies a look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PX8myS3DRk

Thanks for the good Racing!

Liam
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2758931)   #14
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Robyn you do need an alternator! ! !
No brian, i need to remember to charge my battery before the race instead of chatting and drinking other peoples tea

Colin,i was very surprised to see you qualifing behind me,maybe i need to check my WOT before Silverstone.

Does anyone know if theres a name for a collective of imps?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2758947)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wot?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2758953)   #16
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wide Open Throttle
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2758995)   #17
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
An impudence
Old 14 Sep 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2759052)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Ah!

An impudence

How about an Impasse?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2759461)   #19
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin, it was good to meet you as well. But as we are all very busy on racedays, it usually is a short first meet.
The car looked to be quicker during the race, so I guess you fixed the problem.

I had a nice talk with Sue Spence as well, it is wonderful to see the way they keep their spirits up.

Overall not a bad meeting, shame the weather intervened.
Some naughty driving as well, I had to take action a few times, mostly for seeing no red or yellow flags.
Drivers!

Iain, shame we missed. See you next week I guess.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2759499)   #20
james c
Rookie

james c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Colin McKay;2758353]Good race despite the red flags, first was because of oil from James Claridge's Anglia and the second because of a 3 car incident at Paddock which ended the race after only 9 laps.

Colin, must apologise to you and everyone else for the first red flag. My race was short but enjoyed all 3 laps thoroughly, been ages since I've raced something with a roof on, it's pretty close out there!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 02:59 (Ref:2759568)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have a collective but no name for one...

Great to see them though, the most I've seen out here is 3 in the one race, and last week I saw the 3rd Imp I've ever seen on the road outside of car club events!

Interesting as always to read the anecdotes and commiserations to Brian
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2760300)   #22
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure on the collective name, but so far this year 12 different Imps have been out in the HSCC making for some great racing both for the Impers and the spectators. Sadly I was confined to the stands at Brands and for the finals, due to damage from a bicycle accident but will be back for the Birkett.
Graham Martin was the Imp caught up in the accident described above and he has probably sustained the worst damage, the front of his car is pushed in a long way from his contact with the back of the Mini. The gravel certainly stopped them quickly.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2760502)   #23
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure if it's an IMPULSE or and IMPRESSION (the latter if you were driving the mini into Paddock Hill Bend and ended up with one in the boot!)
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2760548)   #24
phatphoto
Rookie

United Kingdom
phatphoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A large gallery of nearly 400 photos now online here. Great job by all the drivers considering the changing conditions throughout the day!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2760872)   #25
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Simon, I saw the pics in your thread on the Imp club forum & the front-on shot of the car (link) doesn't give a good perspective but I'm guessing the heater box was removed for the front rad so hopefully a straight-forward fix with a bit of a tweak on the driver's side chassis leg, the rest looks ok? Phoenix it would be interesting to see the rear of the Mini, I'm guessing the bumper took most of the hit from the shape of the dent on the Imp.

I started a thread re collective name too - best suggestion so far I think is a mischief of Imps!