Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1196525)   #1
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most virtuoso effort in sportcar racing

We seem to be having a few best of, favourite, etc threads right now.

Here's one, but focussing on the human side as opposed to the materiel side- what is the best ever piece of driving / teamwork you've seen in sportscar racing? Could be a pole lap, a single stint, a miraculous climb through the field, comeback from the dead etc, etc.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1196533)   #2
claude
Rookie

France
Le Mans
claude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans Stuck, under a heavy rain, during the 1980 Le Mans 24 Hours, with his BMW M1, in the early stages. He went through the field to 2nd place, very, very impressively.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1196544)   #3
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of suggestions. Jackie Ickx/Derek Bell Porsche climb through the field after an early major delay, to win Le Mans but I forget which year of their wins it was. .... (someone? Thank you).
Didn't Masten Gregory/Jochen Rindt do the same in a Ferrari 330 GTO but in the 50s/60s? Just drove flat out after early problems but couldn't kill the car.
Or in the Finnish laddie in the wet during the night in McLaren F1's 24 Hour win-first-time-out in 95? Huge speed in the wet with a car without much downforce.
Or Duncan Hamilton/Tony Rolt in the D-Type. Weren't they all ****ed up about to go home after a serious cock-up in practise?
All pretty heroic.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1196546)   #4
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stefan Bellof. Nordschleife. 6:11min.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1196550)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
Didn't Masten Gregory/Jochen Rindt do the same in a Ferrari 330 GTO but in the 50s/60s? Just drove flat out after early problems but couldn't kill the car.
The year was 1965, the car was a NART entered 250LM. The quote I always heard, and I don't know which driver it was attributed to, was 'It didn't feel like a 24 Hour car, so we didn't treat it that way.' In other words they were just thumping the car to try to get it to break so they could go home early. Everyone else had problems while they screamed into the lead. I am not sure winning because you beat the car to death and it survived puts it into the great drives category, but that is up to history and others I guess.

Hans Stuck's drives just about anywhere would have to go into great drives category.

robert
Old 9 Jan 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1196554)   #6
simon c
Racer

Bob Tullius' glorious lap in the lead at Le Mans 1984 from a purely romantic perspective, but I think the Works Porsche effort at Le Mans 1987 was pretty special - 1 car down after qualifying, the second car out early on. The team took the fight to the Jags and broke them all. Okay the last few hours were pretty dull, but Singer and Falk gambled big-time and won.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1196582)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Hans Stuck, under a heavy rain, during the 1980 Le Mans 24 Hours, with his BMW M1, in the early stages. He went through the field to 2nd place, very, very impressively.
I already mentionned that one one or two years ago... Henri Pescarolo said that somebody too k him over under the pouring rain, without healigths, a white arrow.... next curve, he was already gone !

It was Hans Stuck...

The same Henri, without whippers, under the showers again... in 1968 ? Quite something too...

Last edited by Fab; 9 Jan 2005 at 16:24.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1196595)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
NART entered 250LM.
DOH!!!! It was a 275LM!!! Sorry!

robert
Old 9 Jan 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1196667)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too many to choose from, but off the top of my head, J.J. Lehto in the KKK McLaren in the wet at Le Mans in 1995 - he gave everyone else a driving lesson.......
Old 9 Jan 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1196705)   #10
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Too many to choose from, but off the top of my head, J.J. Lehto in the KKK McLaren in the wet at Le Mans in 1995 - he gave everyone else a driving lesson.......
I agree Aysedasi, that's the one I couldn't remember the name of. He beat the Bells in the Harrod's McLaren from some way back didn't he? Quite a virtuoso performance/drive.

Last edited by gfm; 9 Jan 2005 at 19:45.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1196711)   #11
racer11
Rookie

United States
florida
racer11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
A couple of suggestions. Jackie Ickx/Derek Bell Porsche climb through the field after an early major delay, to win Le Mans but I forget which year of their wins it was. .... (someone? Thank you).
If your thinking of the same race that I am that would be 1977.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1196726)   #12
simon c
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11
If your thinking of the same race that I am that would be 1977.

In 77 Ickx was teamed up with Haywood and Barth, not Bell
Old 9 Jan 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1196748)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say JJ at Le Mans in 1995. I wasn't there but from what I seen and read he was amazing that day.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1196758)   #14
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was the early 50's
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1196762)   #15
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was the early 50's I forgot the guys name but he drove 22+ hours and almost won in a ferrari. I think it was against the works mercedes team I cant remember. something happened to his co-driver and he just drove the rest of the race. but that was crazy, heroic,stupid and beyond anything alse to me in motorsports ever.what a drive. and he only lost when he had a small lapse in concentration. can you blame him.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1196781)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
JJ Lehto again, this time in the BMW M3 GTR at Donnington in 2001. Hanging on to the last hopes of keeping up with some lightening quick Porsches by his fingernails. It was a do or die attempt to get back on terms. Unfortuneately, the car died, but only after JJ had lapped at an astonishing rate. At every corner you could see JJ explored the very outer edges of the capabilities of the car. Under braking the car pitched and complained, the exhaust blew an even bigger sheet of flame,the disks were glowing almost white, the turn in was made perfectly even when the car seemed to be carrying too much pace. Just joyous stuff.

The closest thing I've ever seen in another sports car was Micheal Vergers at Castle Combe in the semi wet in a Radical (2002 I think). He took the GT record from Bob Light's Stealth B6. Which was very impressive because Bob knew every inch of the track from being an old veteran of the track, not to mention the old record was set in a much more powerful car in the dry.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1196788)   #17
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxr
it was the early 50's I forgot the guys name but he drove 22+ hours and almost won in a ferrari.
Could it be Pierre "Levegh" Bouillion, in a Talbot, who wrong selected a gear and blew the engine an hour before the end-when he had a four lap lead? 1952?

robert
Old 9 Jan 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1196866)   #18
racer11
Rookie

United States
florida
racer11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon c
In 77 Ickx was teamed up with Haywood and Barth, not Bell
Actually he was teamed with pescarolla (sp?) but drove in the Haywood, Barth car #4 after his car #3 broke a crankshaft. The #4 was set back from a fuel injection pump replacement about an hour into the race. They drove flat out all night to get by the 3 Renaults (they broke) and with a couple hours left they lost a piston and limped it home for the win. I've had a long weekend and I'm wicked tired and didn't notice he said Derek Bell

Last edited by racer11; 9 Jan 2005 at 23:05. Reason: spelling
Old 9 Jan 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1196879)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
One of the most fantastic that I witnessed was Alex Zanardi in the p***ing rain in a BPR race at silverstone in an underpowered Lotus Esprit - He blitzed the big GT1 cars right through the rainstorm and hung on well even when it dried out - I think he finished fourth in the end
Old 10 Jan 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1196898)   #20
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
One of the most fantastic that I witnessed was Alex Zanardi in the p***ing rain in a BPR race at silverstone in an underpowered Lotus Esprit - He blitzed the big GT1 cars right through the rainstorm and hung on well even when it dried out - I think he finished fourth in the end
You beat me to my memory! simply incredible and SOOO wet
Old 10 Jan 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1196918)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Bernd Schneider in the AMG Mercedes CLR in the early laps of the 1999 Le Mans. Drove like a man possessed. Such a shame he had to retire.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1197043)   #22
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pedro R, 1971 a very wet BOAC 1000km. His 917 was in a different race by all accounts. I was there but being only six have no memory of it beyond what i have read.

Le Mans 99, Toyota GTone chasing hard before being held up by a off line BMW LM V12then collecting a flat tire.
The driver, who was japanese and name I have no chace of spelling was captured by the in car camera almost trance like.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1197068)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Ukyo Katayama
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1197179)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Katayama's drive was mighty impressive. And Rodriguez at the BOAC 1000 is a very good choice too.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1197200)   #25
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Could it be Pierre "Levegh" Bouillion, in a Talbot, who wrong selected a gear and blew the engine an hour before the end-when he had a four lap lead? 1952?

robert

Yes indeed it was Pierre Levegh who almost singlehanded won Le Mans.
Immagine if he would have won, he was remembered for the win and off course that dreadful accident that killed so many people.