Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1468250)   #1
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone help me understand...

Recently getting back into sportscar racing this season after spending 10 hours in the rain and cold at Silverstone for the LMES race..finding myself thoroughly enjoying it despite the conditions.

However I do find it rather confusing all these different catogries,classes etc etc...

What I understand LMP1,LMP2,GT1,GT2 4 different classes for different machinery. But where I struggle is LMP1 cars for next season LMES have different rules to next season ALMS/JLMS Yet ALMS cars are entering LeMans which will surely give a disadvatage to one side or the other. Ive seen talk of Zytec going to race in ALMS but not allowed in LMES unless it hybridises also seen the R8 will be allowed to race next seasons ALMS but theres talk about this R10 racing over there..

Please fogive me if any off this is wrong as I said im just getting back into this and would like to here if anyone can clear any of these statements up for me..

One more thing...Why only 5 Races ??

Thanks
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1468261)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
See this page (especially the diagram): http://www.mulsannescorner.com/kieronsalterlmp12.html
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1468281)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been asking the "Why only 5 races?" question myself....even when they started with 4....and when they expanded, they went to Turkey...and didn't draw flies for a crowd...

Especially when they could hold a race at Barcelona or Vallencia to open the season.....and another at Brno sometime during the summer.....maybe even an event at Assen or the A-1 Ring.....

I thought that 6-7 races would be good and to try to spread the events geographically, if possible.....

Instead, they go to Turkey and race in front of a handful of people....

Mini-rant is over....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Nov 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1468298)   #4
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
I've been asking the "Why only 5 races?" question myself....even when they started with 4....and when they expanded, they went to Turkey...and didn't draw flies for a crowd...

Especially when they could hold a race at Barcelona or Vallencia to open the season.....and another at Brno sometime during the summer.....maybe even an event at Assen or the A-1 Ring.....

I thought that 6-7 races would be good and to try to spread the events geographically, if possible.....

Mini-rant is over....

The original intension was to "revive" the classic 1000KM races of the past and at the press conference at Le Mans in 2003 when the series was announced it was an integral part of the Le Mans qualifying process… Agendas change this year we had Istanbul next year Donington and no Silverstone, who knows what's on the horizon!
Old 23 Nov 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1468325)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Mini-rant is over....
Go to the ACO site and you'll see they recently attained the trademark for 'World Le Mans Series'
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1468417)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Go to the ACO site and you'll see they recently attained the trademark for 'World Le Mans Series'

Only if they have three separate Series:

ALMS

LMS

JLMS

Then do a Season-Ending "Race of Champions" as an all-star event in a warm climate....

Why???

1. A one-series World Championship would be way too cost prohibitive for teams to compete in

2. North America would only get a few races at best...when we actually buy tickets to races at places like Mosport, Mid-Ohio, Laguna, etc....and venues like Monza or Istanbul probabaly would stay on the schedule, even though no one shows up to watch them...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1468439)   #7
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
I can understand the Money difficultis this seris faces so having it split in 3 continental regions rather than having travel costs for 1 world series. But from my understandings the regulations are different in LMES to JLMS and ALMS is this just me getting the wrong end of the stick ?

Ive read the informative link about the rules for 2007 but still cant work out if all 3 series are playing on a level field ?
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1468441)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In JLMS and ALMS are the LMP900 cars still allowed to attract more teams.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1468445)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's as level as it can be.

The Champion Audi that won Le Mans this year was heavily restricted in comparison to how it runs in the ALMS. In short, teams competing at Le Mans that do not comply to the current regulations will have their car restricted (or not be allowed to compete). In fact, Champion could not run their R8 next year at Le Mans at all IIRC. This pretty much only applies to LMP1 and LMP2.

GT1 and GT2 is pretty much the same set of rules on both sides. Of course in the ALMS teams like ACEMCO did get a few small tweaks to make them competitive with the likes of Pratt & Miller. But if ACEMCO were to come to Le Mans then they would have to run the proper restrictor size and probably a different rear wing.

The proposed Japan series will be allowing older machinery in the early stages of the championship in an attempt to attract larger grids.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1468447)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The rules for the series are generally the same, the differences come from the timing of the evolution from LMP900 through hybrid to LMP1,
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1468539)   #11
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
So the LMP1 and Hybrid cars competeing in LMES this season will be playing by the rules for Le Mans.. Cars competing in ALMS and JLMS may need restrictors etc to compete at Le Mans

If im understanding correctly the new rules are designed to slow the cars down. Then the Prosche LMP2 car that was only just over a second of the pace at Laguna Sega? could compete with LMP1 cars when all the new restricions and rules are in place for overall honours...seems strange.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1468548)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ250575
So the LMP1 and Hybrid cars competeing in LMES this season will be playing by the rules for Le Mans.. Cars competing in ALMS and JLMS may need restrictors etc to compete at Le Mans

If im understanding correctly the new rules are designed to slow the cars down. Then the Prosche LMP2 car that was only just over a second of the pace at Laguna Sega? could compete with LMP1 cars when all the new restricions and rules are in place for overall honours...seems strange.
The new regs are not to slow the cars as such, just to prevent some aero problems with the LMP900/LMP675s.

New LMP1s (R10) will be quicker than LMP2s (Porsche). However new LMP2s will likely be as quick as old and restricted LMP900s (R8, Riley MkIII etc.)

Le Mans and LMS

LMP1 (Audi R10) and LMP1 Hybrid (Pescarolo), LMP2 (Lola, Porsche etc) LMP2 Hybrid (Courage C65) are the only cars allowed.

2005 was the last year LMP900s (R8), and LMP675 (MG Lola) were allowed.

ALMS and JLMS

LMP1, LMP1 hybrid, LMP2, LMP2 hybrid AND old LMP900/LMP675s are allowed to compete.

The LMP900's amd LMP675's will be penalized with more ballast and smaller restrictors to encourage teams to run LMP1/LMP2's.

Basically the ALMS and JLMS are running to the same regs as the LMS and Le Mans, but allowing the LMP900/LMP675's to run for a few extra years, giveing teams more time to switch to new cars.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1468562)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:

ALMS

LMS

JLMS

Then do a Season-Ending "Race of Champions" as an all-star event in a warm climate....

Why???

1. A one-series World Championship would be way too cost prohibitive for teams to compete in

2. North America would only get a few races at best...when we actually buy tickets to races at places like Mosport, Mid-Ohio, Laguna, etc....and venues like Monza or Istanbul probabaly would stay on the schedule, even though no one shows up to watch them...
I think we would see a European based series with a couple of flyaway races to Japan and the middle east.

The Le Mans Series name leaves that option open already.

I would expect the ALMS to stay as it is, possibly expanding into South America.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1468570)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have always seen a potential 'world series' as using the presitgious races from each area as counting towards an overall world championship as well as the local championship

That way teams can choose whether to compete in either or both depending on their budgets
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1468574)   #15
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The new regs are not to slow the cars as such, just to prevent some aero problems with the LMP900/LMP675s.

New LMP1s (R10) will be quicker than LMP2s (Porsche). However new LMP2s will likely be as quick as old and restricted LMP900s (R8, Riley MkIII etc.)

Le Mans and LMS

LMP1 (Audi R10) and LMP1 Hybrid (Pescarolo), LMP2 (Lola, Porsche etc) LMP2 Hybrid (Courage C65) are the only cars allowed.

2005 was the last year LMP900s (R8), and LMP675 (MG Lola) were allowed.

ALMS and JLMS

LMP1, LMP1 hybrid, LMP2, LMP2 hybrid AND old LMP900/LMP675s are allowed to compete.

The LMP900's amd LMP675's will be penalized with more ballast and smaller restrictors to encourage teams to run LMP1/LMP2's.

Basically the ALMS and JLMS are running to the same regs as the LMS and Le Mans, but allowing the LMP900/LMP675's to run for a few extra years, giveing teams more time to switch to new cars.
ah ha things are clearing up for me now...thanks for the help on this Im now looking forward to a new season with more understanding of whats going on/who can do what...

Just 1 more quick question (Sorry)

LMES GT1/GT2 is this the same rules and regs as FIA GT1/GT2 ?

sorry about my lack of knowledge been watching follow my leader to long.(F1)
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1468580)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
LMES / Le Mans GT1/GT2 rules are almost the same as FIA GT1/GT2. The last one is a little bit more liberal (i.e. Maserati).
Old 23 Nov 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1468589)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ACO and FIA GT regs were supposed to have been the same this year - not sure if that's *quite* the case but it's near enough. Think some cars in FIA G2/3 classes, such as the Mosler, haven't been homologated for ACO use - not yet anyway. Then of course there is the Maserati MC12 situation...
Old 27 Nov 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1471263)   #18
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

ALMS

LMS

JLMS

I thought they had a race of champions already called 'Le Mans'
Old 28 Nov 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1472096)   #19
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but another Race of champions would be great.

10 hours of Kyalami S/A
1000k of Monza IT
Double 12 hours of Bahrain UAE
etc.........
Old 28 Nov 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1472101)   #20
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe 4 races of champions, one of every championship + LeMans.
12 hours of Sebring ALMS
1000k Monza LMS
1000k Suzuka JLMS
+ LeMans

I vote for that!
Old 28 Nov 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1472103)   #21
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
..and a very large wallet.