Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Dec 2011, 17:24 (Ref:3002328)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
BMW Z4 GT3 vs BMW M3 GTE

Well, more like all GT3 vs GT2 cars.

From what I've heard, GT3 cars make more power, weigh less and have more downforce than GT2/E cars. How is it the GT2 cars are quicker over a lap than a GT3 car?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's just been bothering me lately.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 17:37 (Ref:3002334)   #2
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that's true. GT3 make usually more power, but less downforce (according to drivers). And weight depends on the car. The Nürburgring is a good example, when the GT3 came in they had an advantage over the GT2 Porsches on the straights, but they struggled in the twisty bits.

Also, most GT3 series run with control tires, while GTE tire development is free.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 17:46 (Ref:3002338)   #3
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, more like all GT3 vs GT2 cars.

From what I've heard, GT3 cars make more power, weigh less and have more downforce than GT2/E cars. How is it the GT2 cars are quicker over a lap than a GT3 car?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's just been bothering me lately.
the z4 gt3 actualy uses the strictly road derivated 4.4 v8 of the m3 gts, i think that the z4 is just a little more powerfull than the m3 gt2, speaking about hp and Nm, but the engines can't be compared because the first is a road engine with some racing parts, the other one is a full racing engine, so the m3 gt2 has a totally better engine. About downforce, well, for sure the z4 is one of the best gt3 car, but i doubt that can generate more downforce than a gte car (also because in 2012 the gte cars will be wider and ever more GT1 look like), about weight this year the z4 ran in fia gt3 with 1210kg if i remember well, the gt3 standard min. weight is 1245, so the z4 is lighter, but other gt3 cars are heavier, and other like the sls much more heavier.
About timelaps theare are not doubts that (almost all) GTE cars are faster than gt3 cars.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 18:04 (Ref:3002347)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well there is one similarty between those two particular cars, both have dominated their classes due to extremely favorable BoP decisions ad waivers they've received from the organizing parties

Five years ago a GT3 machine would've been absolutely no match to GT2 in terms of pure speed, but nowadays they are pretty much at the same pace. 2010 Spa 24h was a great example...
Old 20 Dec 2011, 19:24 (Ref:3002383)   #5
tje23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Staffordshire, UK
tje23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Essentially, I think it comes down to a number of factors, some contradicting your statements. I actually don't know - but read a thread about this the other day, which I can't find - but I really would like to know. I can only assume the Power/Downforce/Weight comments you made are incorrect!