Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

View Poll Results: Will you still race at Lydden, bearing in mind entry fees will be higher in 2009?
Yes 24 40.68%
No 23 38.98%
Once only 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Nov 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2339163)   #1
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Racing at Lydden 2009. Will You Go?

I thought i would start this thread as i am sure its going to be a popular one.
So lets have you views on racing at lydden 2009
Old 21 Nov 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2339173)   #2
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well last year there was much comment on the new circuit hire fees. The Doran response "was we have 6 (or was it 8?) championships waiting to come and race at Lydden".
As 2009 approaches we will see if that statement is correct. I hope so because i think Lydden is an excellent little circuit and always produces good racing.However time will tell to see if there is life beyond one top line rallycross event.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2339181)   #3
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having raced at lydden many years ago in a rallycross event that went really bad for me ,circuit racing there has been pretty good for me with the best results of any track that i have raced on .some love it some loathe it but there is no dowt that it is surely the best viewing track by a long chalk.its a shame its so far away though.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2339194)   #4
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really dont think lydden has much chance of getting anything bigger/better then a two day (oh, 1 day due to ridiculous hire pricing scheme!) BARC meeting like the one we had last year, with the production BMW's etc. which was great!

The main things i think that stop lydden getting any better series are:
- Circuit length
- No real pit lane
- Location - ideal for europe but not for people from scotland/northen england
- Sundays from 12:30 - 2 day meeting are even more expensive due to both days being charged the same despite half the availible track time.

Other than that hope we get a great season of racing next year - cant wait for europeon rallycross!!
Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2339412)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the odd trip to lydden, it was a true clubbie circuit and so was quite cheap to race at so i could forgive the rough paddock and facillities.

its a fun little circuit although rather unloved as it doesnt really suit big power cars and for many is rather tucked out the way, but because it was a cheap place to race those deficits were partitially overcome

personally i think to hike up hire fees by ten times the inflation rate will put many off, in my view they have pitched the hire price too close those of the major circuits like brands to make lydden attractive to anyone other than a lydden lover,

not so long back i we often had a choice of racing at lydden for £130 or brands for £200, that made lydden good value, those same figures would now be £180 or £220 no contest, brands it is!

im pretty sure the dorans will find drivers and championships going elsewhere,

maybe they are hoping that championships will just continue to go there? that could be very short sighted, unless the clubs feel they can get a decent grid they wil stop going there there is only so long a club can run races at a loss due to lack of driver support

Last edited by graham bahr; 22 Nov 2008 at 09:08.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2339434)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
maybe they are hoping that championships will just continue to go there? that could be very short sighted, unless the clubs feel they can get a decent grid they wil stop going there there is only so long a club can run races at a loss due to lack of driver support
Maybe it's the "charge more for less and get the same income" mentality which I have seen to be the downfall of a few companies in the past.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2339442)   #7
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Maybe it's the "charge more for less and get the same income" mentality which I have seen to be the downfall of a few companies in the past.
Less racing equals more track days so in the long run the income would be higher
Old 22 Nov 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2339489)   #8
westfieldbend
Veteran

the paddock is not rougth, although the access road to it leaves a little to be desired as do the toilets...
Old 22 Nov 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2339498)   #9
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperbottom
Less racing equals more track days so in the long run the income would be higher
They certainly don't make more money from track days.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2339637)   #10
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
With the % price increaes lydden have quoted to race organisers they will have no other option but to consider else where, look what KJW says entry fee same street as brands, but brands not heavy on tyres also they have some nice loos for the wife and some where your guests can go and eat incomfort. Lydden will have to up its game plan or my guess is we will walk.
Which will be a shame after all the years the clubman has supported this magic little venue.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2339995)   #11
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking to guys who do sprinting (at Race Car LIve, yesterday), they were shocked at the proposed circuit hire price hike. Most felt it would make the venue too expesive to warrant going there. As Graham states it was always accepted that you would pay less for Lydden, not only because it did not have the same facilities as Brands Hatch, but also because it is a short circuit (bear in mind that the maximum grid size is 24). To attract "national categories" you have to price it cheaper than say Mallory Park, otherwise Midlands based drivers will think twice about travelling to Lydden (it is a long way from Nottingham for example). The 750 motor club are not going.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2340003)   #12
Big Dave
Racer

England
Gillingham
Big Dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do we know why the costs are going up is it down to rising costs of running a circuit or is it just greed. It would be a real real shame to see the death of Lydden!!

J J J Jemma
Old 23 Nov 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2340018)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't think "greed" is a choice use of words in this case, probably more a case of needing to cover rising costs and any losses he may have incurred due to the current financial climate.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2340029)   #14
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Lets think back Lydden has been the home of rally cross for as long as i can remeber, and a good saturday afternoon club circuit,
The investment that has been made with the paddock is huge. and they have got to spend more to cater for the fia rally cross round, so hike up the prices for the rally cross and leave the club weekends at a reasonable rate.
lets be truthfully its a buyers market. Clubs like semsec will struggle to cover costs, so in the end they will stop going there.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2340203)   #15
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Lydden entry fees actually any cheaper than other venue (I didn't race there this year but last time I raced there, I can't remember it being massively cheaper - maybe the price of a gallon or two of petrol, if that?)? It maybe cheaper for the renting club, but the national racer doesn't see any difference in the cost ("local" races with SEMSEC, etc do often have cheaper entries). With BARC, we pay the same for most circuits whether it be the wastelands of Pembrey or the glamous facilities of Rockingham (Brands, Silverstone, etc are a few quid more).
Old 23 Nov 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2340286)   #16
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
The 750 motor club are not going.
Are you saying lydden is losing its best club race meeting?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2340297)   #17
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK so you have to cover costs, but a new surface in the paddock and a slightly improved paddock toilet and a new office block are great if you have meetings to run!
The old expression "all your eggs in one basket" seems to sum up the track strategy, one big rallycross meeting is great but what if that goes away and you have lost everything else (bar a few club rallycross events) at the circuit. A pretty paddock indeed - but empty.
It would be very sad if some of the clubs that have supported Lydden over the years like 750MC are driven out through excessive pricing.
As a footnote I hope the trackside spaekers are dramatically improved or replaced before the Euro RallyX as they are the worst of any UK track!
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2340303)   #18
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator
As a footnote I hope the trackside spaekers are dramatically improved or replaced before the Euro RallyX as they are the worst of any UK track!
So do i
But i think thruxton are worse, they are the same ones since the track opened, massive 2 foot long things...
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2340313)   #19
Cujo
Racer

United Kingdom
(Over) Hairy Hill
Cujo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that it will be very sad if club car racing stops or is significantly reduced at Lydden next year.

However, this summer was the busiest I have known at Lydden and club car racing only counted for part of the action, maybe less than 50%.
There was also a lot of Bike racing, track days (car and bike), drifting, car shows and Rallycross, so Lydden must believe that they will not be short of business next year.

A lot of these other meetings also draw better gate money, if the car park is anything to go by. Most clubbie car races are supported by a few hard core spectators and the people in the paddock.

Could this also be a factor?
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2340315)   #20
westfieldbend
Veteran

last year there was 5 bike meetings, this year only two
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2340353)   #21
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have spoken to the 750MC and they are not going to Lydden in 2009.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2340355)   #22
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
I have spoken to the 750MC and they are not going to Lydden in 2009.
That's a shame. Was looking at having a stock hatch round at Lydden next year.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2340377)   #23
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H
That's a shame.
Thats more then a shame, its a disaster!
Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2340384)   #24
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
Thats more then a shame, its a disaster!
Agreed. One of my favourite meetings of the year and not what I wanted to hear going into the winter.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2340395)   #25
westfieldbend
Veteran

presumable as a result of a two day meeting be uneconmical due to the same price for sunday as saturady despite half the track time