Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1232379)   #1
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe Needs Your Support

Castle combe circuit has been served with a NUISANCE NOISE ORDER.

This is mostly aimed at the british GT and F3 as some of the locals have complined about the level of noise that came from these champoinships last year,2005 meeting is to go ahead with slightly reduced noise limits!

2006 is another matter this order if its brought in will stop the running of this meeting in 2006.

Letters of support would be greatly appreciated by the circuit.

more information is on the website www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk click on news section,or contact the circuit direct on 01249782417

hopefully with enough support the order can be removed for good
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1232380)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Copied thread from National and Club. This needs a wider audience. Please post any replies in the original thread.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1232411)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woolley, this only effects the F3/GT meeting so wouldn't really have any bearing on club-level single seaters at all as far as I can see!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1232429)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
So club-level single seater posters wouldn't be interested in helping to support F3/GTs then?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1232531)   #5
Zurich
Rookie

Switzerland
Zurich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just don't understand the mentality of someone who buys a house near a racing circuit and complains about the noise. I wouldn't buy a house next to Heathrow and file a nuisance noise order against the planes.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1232572)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

Castle Combe must be supported in this - it is a great circuit for F3.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1232586)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Woolley, this only effects the F3/GT meeting so wouldn't really have any bearing on club-level single seaters at all as far as I can see!
Are there no club level single seater events at Combe?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1232595)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately the original thread has been moved and locked, so I will reply here anyway!

I agree; people moving close to circuits should not complain about noise and traffic they generate other than in certain circumstances.

These circumstances would include the circuit breaching any restrictions on usage or noise imposed by the district council, or there being a significant increase in the nature or amount of usage of the circuit.

I'm not certain if this is the case or not, although a report on www.northwilts.gov.uk indicates that a noise nuisance did occur last June.

However, the noise and traffic nuisance - which undoubtedly IS disrupting to local residents, there can be no argument there - must be weighed against the very significant benefits to the local economy the circuit, and in particular the F3/GT, brings.

Incidentally I also noted from the local council report - indeed the subject of it - that the circuit has applied to have an extra Sunday date in place of a Saturday, thereby reducing the total number of events.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1232599)   #9
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you need some stilts Ian as you can't see it from down there !! lol

Last edited by jminsh; 22 Feb 2005 at 17:14.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1232600)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Yes, there are - but this specific noise order wouldn't affect the running of them as it stands. It is true that, in future, further restrictions could be put in place which would affect these but this would appear very unlikely.

I'm sure many readers of the 10-Tenths as a whole will be keen to support Castle Combe circuit in retaining one of its biggest (and most profitable!) events of the year.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1232617)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, there are - but this specific noise order wouldn't affect the running of them as it stands. It is true that, in future, further restrictions could be put in place which would affect these but this would appear very unlikely.
Never underestimate the power of NIMBYism. This noise order is just the thin edge of the wedge.

That's all I'm saying.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1232643)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice from Belgium: help Combe as much as possible. It happened many, many years ago at Zolder. And we didn't react properly. Now the track is only a shadow of it's former self. The restrictions get worse EVERY year. SO GET YOUR ACTS GOING AND HELP THEM. BEFORE YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE NO MORE CASTLE COMBE.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1232644)   #13
davidjhorsley
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hartlepool
davidjhorsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have done my bit and mailed them all
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1232666)   #14
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why do people move or choose to live near tracks when the are annoyed when they are used! MOVE AWAY, im going to send one now! no need for it.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1232670)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Reading the report on http://www.northwilts.gov.uk/index/e..._04.02558.s73a it seems to me that the council is reasonably amenable to the circuit and acknowledges the benefit of the circuit - so I don't think it is the thin end of the wedge as far as all racing activity is concerned at all.

Those that know me will know that I come from Kirkby Mallory, the village adjacent to Mallory Park, with the centre closer to the circuit than Castle Combe village is to the race track. Of course, there have been objectors to the circuit in the past - but the fact is that the running of the circuit, under the auspices of the Overends for so many years, has been done pretty sympathetically to locals. As is the case at Castle Combe (I believe) the circuit is supportive of local charities and community efforts (remains to be seen what the change of lease ownership to the BARC will make). Residents get season passes. Most people are at worst ambivalent and at best in favour of the circuit, seeing the benefit it brings.

There is nothing about this situation that makes me think racing at Castle Combe is in danger; that said, I support moves to retain the F3/GT meeting at the circuit.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1232678)   #16
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have copied all their email addresses below just copy and paste this into the To: part of you email, hope it helps and im not breaking rules here:

pc, can't really allow that - I know you mean well but we could get into trouble - sorry - EP

it may look like a small amount but theres loads
pitcrew

Last edited by pitcrew; 22 Feb 2005 at 19:05.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1232697)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, interesting. For all the times I raced at Combe, myself and fellow competitors in various other championships were subject to extremely stringent noise controls. Cars would be continually thrown out of practice, or not even make it to practice, for being just the smallest bit over the noise limit and there was NEVER any grace.

Subject all championships to the same noise regs or you are just enforcing the 'them and us' that already exists between the lower order championships and the high profile ones.
No sympathy from me.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1232781)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ok folks, there was a little confusion about this so I've merged all the responses into this one.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1232835)   #19
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, If your looking for a house to move into, you don't just look at the building, you look at the entire surrounding area. If you don't like motorsports, or don't like the noise it generates, then you DON'T move to a house that's right next to a circuit! It must have taken some pretty inconsiderate people in the first place to even move there. Motorsport generates noise, you just have to switch it onto the TV to find that out.

I am more than aware that I am talking from a biast point of view. For me, the louder the motorsport, the better. I was devastated when the now-called GT1 class was ditched in 2003 and a silent cup class (now GT3) introduced. But if I don't like something or the noise it makes, I wouldn't even think of going to live right next to it. For example, I hate football, so the last thing I'd ever do is move next to a football stadium.

It's not the fault of Castle Combe circuit, it's been there for years (admittedly I've not attended), people looking into the area are surely going to be made aware of it's existance, particularly when your going to live right next to it. They already have some form of noise rules around, so it's not like they haven't met their side of the bargain (although the 360 GTC's and Morgan did make a lot of noise in the F3/GT meetings).

I think if you don't want the noise, then don't go and live there. Only exception to that is where you've been there longer than the circuit has. Considering it's been there since 1950, chances are not many are likely to have been there that long...
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1232841)   #20
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Unfortunately you are speaking with the voice of reason, alas this country has degenerated to one where envy is king, these people do not have any reason

me, I'm going to campaign against the railway line that runs outside my house. Of course I saw it when I moved in but didn't think trains actually used it
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1232846)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Oh it's not just the UK - we had the same problem at Mondello. Circuit has been there 35 years. 3 years ago, barrister moves in about 5 miles from the circuit. Next thing you know *poof* no more 24 hour 2cv race.

I mean it was one night a YEAR!

Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1232857)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

And those 2CVs make so much noise as well!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1232872)   #23
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just to put the record straight and to be ever so slightly pedantic, the village of Castle Combe is unlikely to be the place generating the fuss, it is more likely the villagers of Yatton Keynell, which is situated at the end of the main straight about 1/2 mile from Quarry corner. There have been a core of residnts there who have ALWAYS kicked up a fuss about the circuit, and very nearly suceeded in getting it closed down in the 1970's. Please do support the circuit, and send letters to the council who are I believe sympathetic to the cause!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1232875)   #24
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's sad and in some respects silly. The noise can only be for 3 days a year - one test, 1 qualifying and 1 race day if it is only the GTs at fault. If I bought a house next to a race track and couldn't cope with the noise for 3 days then those days I would be out shopping or visiting mates.
Maybe the circuit could try baffling the noise with higher banking and give them all free tickets to come and watch.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1232942)   #25
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian
Afterall the fighting the circuit has done in the past regarding the noise issue i find it worrying that when ever a new law appears the locals are on the case right away you say that you don't think there's any threat to racing i beg to differ the council has spent thousands of tax payers money to try to get it stopped in the past its no different today as it was then
Les
The circuit already have measures like this in place even planted a shed load of trees around the perimeter but still its not enough!!
Newbob
The sad thing is a housing est was built right next to the circuit paddock and yes they complained as far as i'm aware the circuit gives them free passes each year as a peace offering,and the council set up a noise monitor during race meetings within the est!!

Had an e-mail from rodney gooch today,
ANY LETTERS OF SUPPORT SEND DIRECTLY TO THE CIRCUIT
SO THEY CAN PRESENT A SACK TO THE LOCAL COUNCIL
ADDRESS IS ON THE WEBSITE www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk