Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 30 Jan 2002, 23:02 (Ref:207012)   #1
visordown
Rookie

visordown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOP 5 in Formula Ford 2002

In no particular order, these are my top 5
  • Jan Haylen
  • Mike Conway
  • Tom Gaymor
  • Westley Barber
  • Christian England

How about you?
Old 30 Jan 2002, 23:47 (Ref:207025)   #2
visordown
Rookie

re: TOP 5

Haylen and Barber will be quick and have to be quick, because of their level of experiance. Gaymor and Nexa will put the spanners in the works (VD). Conway should cause problems as well.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 12:11 (Ref:207291)   #3
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westley Barber will win. Got very good in that Mygale in second half of last last year and was unlucky not to win at least a couple of races. Was awesome at Spa - I was there! He's also smart enough to stay clear of any rough stuff and bag points.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 13:53 (Ref:207385)   #4
Clyde Ankle
Rookie

Clyde Ankle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money's on Westley Barber. Has skill and experience far in excess of anyone else in FFord this year. Plus the fact that he knows he has got to do it this year.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 21:27 (Ref:207754)   #5
Reflex
Rookie

Reflex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: TOP 5 in Formula Ford 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by visordown
In no particular order, these are my top 5
  • Jan Haylen
  • Mike Conway
  • Tom Gaymor
  • Westley Barber
  • Christian England

How about you?
It's got to be Gaymor followed maybe by Sakamoto then England. Can't see any of the VD boys in the top 5 as they will all probably walk before mid season
Old 31 Jan 2002, 23:18 (Ref:207892)   #6
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the right way

JAN HEYEN
WESTLY BARBOUR
MIKE CONWAY
STUART HALL

ALSO REFLEX YOU TALK ...P

VD BOYS WILL WALK INTO THE DISTANCE FROM TOM GAYMOR
AND WHAT SAKAMOTO YOUR HAVING A LAFF PAL?

Last edited by Francesca; 12 Feb 2002 at 23:10.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 23:22 (Ref:207895)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think yuya will be all that high in the championship but he will get vgood by the end of the season. He has tested for us and he was very impressive, a very focused driver with some good management
Old 1 Feb 2002, 19:14 (Ref:208298)   #8
Reflex
Rookie

Mr Don Keydick, Your reply is rather bias isn't it. Not associated with VD by any chance?

BTW If you are then you should learn how to spell your drivers names.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 10:34 (Ref:209990)   #9
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VD will be raging they've lost Solus - that's the only reason Westley went with them and he's definitely considering leaving.

Christian England is pants. And Sakamoto? Em.... right, whatever

I think there'll be a few strong contenders once all have signed up with their respective teams - two guys in particular who I'd put at 1 and 2, but I can't let on who they are yet, so at the moment, I'd say

1. Jan Heylen
2. Westley Barber
3. Tom Gaymor
4. Mike Conway
5. Joey Foster
Old 4 Feb 2002, 12:23 (Ref:210058)   #10
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll take for grandted that this is Britain formula Ford championship.

How many cars are there on the grid approximately per race?

In Canada we have a similar serie and sometimes there are as much as 35-40 cars on the grid

http://www.formulaford1600.com/
Old 4 Feb 2002, 23:00 (Ref:210415)   #11
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YOU DONT NO THE FULL STORY

VD WILL BE AWESOME THIS YEAR, THEY HAVE GOT TREVER VAN ROOYEN WORKING ON THERE ENGINES WITH SCHOLAR,SO i HAVE BEEN TOLD, IF THIS IS CORECT THEN NOBODY WILL SEE THEM AGAIN ?
ALSO WESTLEY TELLS ME HE IS VERY HAPPY WITH THE NEW DEAL SO THE INFO YOU GOT IS WRONG MY FRIEND .
THEY WONT MISS SOLUS AS MUCH AS YOU THINK, JUST YOU SEEEE
Old 4 Feb 2002, 23:23 (Ref:210429)   #12
The Accomplice
Rookie

The Accomplice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not what I hear Mr Don 'TVR' Dick. Will you be using any doddgy fuel at the Festival again?
Old 6 Feb 2002, 17:01 (Ref:211145)   #13
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: YOU DONT NO THE FULL STORY

Quote:
Originally posted by TVR
VD WILL BE AWESOME THIS YEAR, THEY HAVE GOT TREVER VAN ROOYEN WORKING ON THERE ENGINES WITH SCHOLAR,SO i HAVE BEEN TOLD, IF THIS IS CORECT THEN NOBODY WILL SEE THEM AGAIN ?
ALSO WESTLEY TELLS ME HE IS VERY HAPPY WITH THE NEW DEAL SO THE INFO YOU GOT IS WRONG MY FRIEND .
THEY WONT MISS SOLUS AS MUCH AS YOU THINK, JUST YOU SEEEE
Shhhhhhhh! No neeeeeed to shout TVR/Dick, or however you wish to be known.

VD, assuming you are talking about the chassis manufacturer and not a rather nasty surprise in your pants (although they could be the same thing), will IMHO have a year of hard work ahead of them if they want to dominate FF like they have in the past.

Firstly, I think the loss of Solus, which is down to VD's own pigheadedness (word?) will hit them hard. They'll have to work with a new engine and a new supplier, and they'll struggle to get the same straight line speed that has made Solus so in demand.

Secondly they've had design problems with the 2002 car, and still haven't rolled out customer cars, never mind shook down their own cars this year - whilst Mygale teams have been out testing.

Thirdly, with two VD men gone to start up their own team, Jonathan Lewis under pressure to win the championship, and the question of who will retain the VD works licence when it expires in the summer will certainly have a knock on effect on the smooth running of the team.

Heylen and Barber have expressed to certain parties - other drivers for example - that they are less than impressed with VD's shaky start to 2002.

It remains to be seen how well they'll do, I think it's far from a foregone conclusion that it'll be a man in a Van Diemen that wins the c'ship.

I'll put my money on a Solus powered Mygale for the time being.

Last edited by sgrok; 6 Feb 2002 at 17:01.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 23:02 (Ref:211373)   #14
Quidditch
Rookie

Quidditch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think VD works will be a force to reckoned with this year, with the down grading of their engines and I read in Motorsport News today that they are down grading their data logging system to PI data buddy for the benefit of their team manager and I quote "Its so simple even I can understand it":confused:
I cant wait to see what he down grades next. Im sure this fills his drivers with confidence

Dont forget to downgrade your computer to the new Vtech speak and spell to help you with your reply, Mr TVR/Dick

Last edited by Quidditch; 6 Feb 2002 at 23:07.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 23:36 (Ref:211391)   #15
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

In Canada we have a similar serie and sometimes there are as much as 35-40 cars on the grid

Old 7 Feb 2002, 18:11 (Ref:211724)   #16
Richard Dean
Rookie

Richard Dean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Alx Danielsson, does anybody give him a chance?
I think Sakamoto went very well in the winter series and at the Festival, he could be the suprise of the year.

How many cars, has anybody any ideas?
Old 7 Feb 2002, 18:31 (Ref:211736)   #17
visordown
Rookie

Danielsson's a shunter !!! Sakamoto did go well winter series, and will i think be very strong this season; i think Gaymor will be the suprise of the year though !!!
Old 7 Feb 2002, 21:18 (Ref:211955)   #18
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DanFlag

Last year the Slick 50 Formula Ford Zetec Championship (Britain's top Formula Ford series), had capacity grids, with about 34 cars entering every race on average. With several British circuits only able to cope with about 28, qualifying races had to take place.
This year though, thanks to a reshuffling of the junior and "senior" championships on the British motorsport racing packages, along with the huge effect that Kimi Raikkonen has had on the number of drivers moving to Formula Renault, it's Formula Renault which will have capacity grids, leaving the national Formula Ford Zetec championship a shadow of its former self, and having to take in year old cars to make up the numbers.

The cars in both the Junior Formula Ford Zetec and National Formula Ford Zetec run 1800cc engines, but don't have wings.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 22:16 (Ref:212017)   #19
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thank you for your reply Paul!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 22:37 (Ref:212737)   #20
Reflex
Rookie

Re: YOU DONT NO THE FULL STORY

Quote:
Originally posted by TVR
So they are not even bothering to come to the races then?????
Old 9 Feb 2002, 19:32 (Ref:213008)   #21
FlyingFinn
Rookie

FlyingFinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too familiar with who is who in this year's championship. But, I heard there is an American racing again this year. Anyone know anything about him?
Old 11 Feb 2002, 22:37 (Ref:214286)   #22
Reflex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingFinn
I'm not too familiar with who is who in this year's championship. But, I heard there is an American racing again this year. Anyone know anything about him?
Matt Koskinen. Did Skip Barber for a couple of years. Racing this year with Nexa Racing.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 17:37 (Ref:214679)   #23
MCP CLUB
Rookie

MCP CLUB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

never underestimate lewis as I did to my cost in the past,he will not have downgraded his data or engines ,
he will have good reason, also dont think VAN DIEMEN will suffer because 2 mecanics have left.
they will still be very hard to beat, lewis obviously knows how to win , he has won with plenty of teams in the past.
can not see him just giving up without a good fight
Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:17 (Ref:214976)   #24
bazza
Rookie

bazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MCP CLUB
never underestimate lewis as I did to my cost in the past,he will not have downgraded his data or engines ,
he will have good reason,
Well going from a £7500 Professional system to a £2000 club system certianly ain't an upgrade. The reason I heard that they changed is that one of the mechanics that left was his data expert and he doesn't have a clue how to operate the system they had!!!.

Quote:
also dont think VAN DIEMEN will suffer because 2 mecanics have left.
From what I heard, the two that left used to run the show. with them gone, Jonathon will have no one to do the thinking for them. Ralph will have to spend more time with the team and that in it's self is reason enough for the team to suffer.

Quote:
lewis obviously knows how to win , he has won with plenty of teams in the past.
can not see him just giving up without a good fight
He seems to have his own special technique when it comes to winning.
Old 13 Feb 2002, 17:27 (Ref:215308)   #25
Hugh Jarse
Rookie

Hugh Jarse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see that Jonathan Lewis seems to be out on a limb as far as his popularity goes.

I too think Van Diemen will suffer this year as I have seen the Mygale in action and all who've seen/driven it have been impressed. Where is the 2002 Van Diemen? Wonder if they made it to Thruxton today for the test...?

I think a certain new signing for Craig Murray's team may have thrown a spanner in the works for the young whipper-snappers who were expecting FF to be a walk this year.

Andrew Thompson - had a few flash moments in Renault last year, but prior to that I believe he came second to Matt Gilmore in the Avon Junior championship a few years back.

Thompson in a works Mygale with a Solus engine and a very determined young man as his team boss....I think this will be a combination to watch.

Last edited by Hugh Jarse; 13 Feb 2002 at 17:28.