Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 22 Jan 2002, 01:06 (Ref:202512)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Portland Street grand Prix

well with only about four weeks to go until one of Australia's greatest kart street meets the entry list is closing fast.

the Rotax Light and Heavy plus Clubman Heavy, Medium and Over 40 are all full with the maximum 24 entrants.

Clubman Light, Clubman Super Heavy and Junior National Light only have a handful of vacancies left and are expected to be filled in a matter of days. The Grand Prix classes (Formula 100 and Junior Clubman) plus Junior National Heavy and Rookies have better availability while the Formula Australia (Light, Heavy, Over 40), Senior National (Light, Medium, Heavy), Leopard and ReSa classes still have plenty of spare grid places for those wishing to compete at the meeting.

Entries received by this Friday go into the draw for $4000 worth of early entry prizes including an ARC Spec 100W engine, ARC water cooling kit, set of Edwards rims, AGP tickets and a one-on-one session with Doc's Kart Kraft.

so if you want to run this classic street meet then get your entry in quick smart and enjoy the racing.

BTW has anyone ever been to this meet ?? either as a competitor or a spectator ???

I would love to go check it out one day , as it locks like a blast , but i dont fancy collecting a gutter in a kart , that would surely be pretty costly.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 02:16 (Ref:202542)   #2
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutters?

Well I haven't been to Portland Marcus but at Motorfest, which is anothe tempory street circhit, the gutters are filled in. Maybe not all the way round but certainly anywhere where they are most likely to be hit.

Mick Stott, AKA National Track Inspector was there while the track was built and made sure things were done th eway he wanted them. That's his job after all. He had been there for the first one so he had a good idea of what was likely to happen.

For any street race ther must be an interstate track inspector who has the final say on all matters of track safety.

What you are likely to hit are the plastic or tyre barriers. Due to the limitations in space at a street circuit they are a lot closer to the edge of the track than normal. That is why the AKA restrict entries to temporary circuits to B grade and above drivers.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 07:52 (Ref:202588)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhhh well there ya go , proof that ive never been to a street meet

probably a wise thing to do filling the gutters in , because it could quite easilly cause a kart to roll over , but I am sure I have seen pics and even some footage of karts racing somwhere on earth with gutters very close by , possibly the Ilse of man races im not quite sure though.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 21:49 (Ref:210853)   #4
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kart Oz reported on their web site that despite the tragic happenings at Wollongong, the Portland street race is going ahead as planned.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 00:51 (Ref:210927)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Good to hear but Im guessing they will be reviewing quite a bit of safety procedures before the event.