Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1350423)   #1
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shaw Can-Am

http://www.valkyrieracing.com/Team-Six/news040705c.htm
Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1350435)   #2
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its funny how Shaw is involved with everything. I dont see this actually happening. What ever happened to the 6 LMP1 and 6 LMP2's that Shaw promised for Sebring? seems like that project is dead.... and look who is the Internet information release site on shaw's site. Not trying to put 2+2 together here, but...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1350456)   #3
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Agree...

I forgot to put the on my post...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1350465)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be fair to Shaw, I believe that the 6 referred to was part of "Team Six".....and I don't remember him saying 6 in each class....

Whether or not he would have Six cars at Sebring...I didn't rcall that being noted....I thought it was at least two cars for Sebring with eventually Six cars as part of Team Six....

FWIW....

But I could be mistaken about that....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1350470)   #5
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea, i think thats what it was.. i think initally he said there could be up to 6 cars at Sebring, and then he said it would be 2.. and then he said none..
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1350485)   #6
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is this the new Can-Am series that has been talked about? I had always hoped for the return of Can-Am, but this is certainly not it. They say it is "inspired" by Can-Am. This blows!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1350490)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yes, this sucks if it represents the totality of the Shaw programme. As a kind of legends series, it's fine, but not that interesting.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1350499)   #8
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

wishIcouldRace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yea, i think thats what it was.. i think initally he said there could be up to 6 cars at Sebring, and then he said it would be 2.. and then he said none..
or then maybe he landed this contract.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1350507)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
19dodge, it shouldn't be a suprise that Shaw is "everywhere" as you say. He needs to sell cars, and I'm sure the need is somewhat on the urgent side. This is a chance to supply cars and even gather data. So it makes sense to me.

Now whether this series actually gets off the ground is another story.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1350537)   #10
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could care less about the Shaw Program. And. I really hope that this series doesn't get off the ground. How many times must the Can-Am name be disgraced by being tagged on to some half baked series? NASCAR engines and has-beens...fantastic!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1350547)   #11
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

the time line is reasonable and I did not read that they are going to dominate the world of sports. Compared to four LMP1 cars racing in ALMS and it being touted as the greatest show on earth, if they attract Bob and a bunch of his old pals, think of the autograph opportunities when these guys get together to race.

Cost control is attractive.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1350551)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TRuss, I didn't say I supported the series, I just understand Shaw's motivation.

The North American road racing scene certainly does not need to get any more watered down than it already is. And I agree, the Can-Am name does not need to be tarnished anymore than it has been over the years.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1350552)   #13
TRuss
Veteran

These old men are going to kill themselves. Does anybody remember when the NBA used to have the legends games during the All Star weekend? Those old fellas were tearing up knees, ankles, and hips left and right. Most were no more than 50 or so. Now multiply that times 180.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1350556)   #14
TRuss
Veteran

I understand. I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. I had no intent in doing that, and if it came across as such, then I really am sorry. I honestly don't know why this news bothers me at all. It's just a racing series that has little to no affect on my life. I'm just disappointed I guess.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1350559)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
No worries. It's no fun to watch a name like Can-Am get associated with a spec series.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1350563)   #16
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

The glatiator {sp} aspect is attractive behind the old Can-Am but you do realize that insurance has to come from somewhere or no track anywhere would let them race. These are not going to be 4-cyl SCCA club cars. 550 HP .... Interesting
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1350571)   #17
TRuss
Veteran

They're going to kill themselves.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1350572)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well I don't know how 550 horsepower makes it interesting. NASCAR has over that, and it's not interesting at all...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1350580)   #19
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

Think of the "mid-life-crisis" potential here. 40 is nothing compared to 50.

At fifty there is a mad dash to bare foot water ski, climb mountains, drive fast boats, keep Barrett Jackson in business, and I could go on.

If the racing of a bunch of these cars provides the cashflow to get a few more LMP1 cars on the track, support it.

I am over fifty and feel the tingle, itch or whatever you call it.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1350589)   #20
TRuss
Veteran

Just because someone is having a midlife-crisis doesn't mean that I want to watch them race in a spec "Can-Am" machine. 50 somethings and carburetors. Sounds like drag racing. I have nothing against Senior citizens or carbs (whether it's on an engine or in my sandwich). But, if this is going to be Can-Am, then I want to be more representative of the spirit of the orginal series. Or not at all. Just like if I can't have a steel bodied Ford, then I will not settle for some fiberglass bodied kit car. I'd rather not have it at all. That's just me.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1350635)   #21
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey a 63 year old just won a PROFESSIONAL sports car race...

Why cant a bunch of 50 year olds drive?

And for God's sake Shaw is trying to build cars to help your hurting little series survive and your pooping on him...what is the logic in that?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1350643)   #22
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
And for God's sake Shaw is trying to build cars to help your hurting little series survive and your pooping on him...what is the logic in that?
Well, to the best of my knowledge, these 'cars' aren't destine for the ALMS but for this spec racer series.

IMO these 'cars' are just as close to being LMP cars as they are Can-Am cars. To the best of my knowledge they aren't ACO legal.

Maybe one day, but not now...

Old 8 Jul 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1350670)   #23
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not those...especially with a 4150 carb!!

But he is supposedly still trying to build a LMP be it IMSA or ACO certified I dont know...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1350683)   #24
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
Maybe not those...especially with a 4150 carb!!
Why not fuel injected and big tall visible velocity stacks?!??!

Old 9 Jul 2005, 05:22 (Ref:1350783)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
After carefully considering the pros and cons involved here, I came to the conclusion of, whatever.. and then turned my attention to more relevant and interesting items such as, is Amish Rake Fighting ready to become a professional sport?