Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Oct 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2303254)   #351
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
pah - does your stalker cheer you on from the bank with tinsel pompoms? I think not!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2303257)   #352
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
I actually quite liked the look of that car! It was "ugly pretty" in the same way as Kirsten Dunst!!

IIRC it was a clever way for Morgan to get around the rule of modifying if you wanted to but having to retain the original engine as your base? By changing the body of the Midget and calling it an MD GT he could then drop in a 1600 and change the box instead of that awful BMC lump? I could be totally wrong (surprising, I know) but I'm sure either Leo or David can clarify.

Sad to think of this once great car languishing in a shed with cat poo for company. I'm sure there are many others suffering the same fate. Where did they all go?

Back on topic... They would all be eligable for Saloon Libre!
Here's that Dempsey MDGT for people to decide if it's ugly or not. I rather like it actually, kind of Porsche 935-esque, particularly the way the bodywork sweeps up after the rear wheels.

http://www.conconnolly.com/cutenews/..._1/Scan189.jpg

p.s. I'm assuming it's no issue posting these picture links - if it is, let me know!! There are some other pics of the various GT cars being discussed here in the Oldies sections of con's superb site.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2303279)   #353
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
pah - does your stalker cheer you on from the bank with tinsel pompoms? I think not!
True, that one does'nt. But my fave marshal does

(We need an "ass kissing" smilie on here )
Old 3 Oct 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2303287)   #354
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
True, that one does'nt. But my fave marshal does

(We need an "ass kissing" smilie on here )
There's your problem Peter. This is the reason why you're being lapped by people. You need to be watching the track when you're driving not your stalkers, cheerleaders and marshalLs.

davyboy - 'for all your professional driver coaching and hurler in the ditching needs'
Old 3 Oct 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2303301)   #355
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
There's your problem Peter. This is the reason why you're being lapped by people. You need to be watching the track when you're driving not your stalkers, cheerleaders and marshalLs.

davyboy - 'for all your professional driver coaching and hurler in the ditching needs'
I expect to be lapped by guys in F1 engined yokes and F3000's. If I was lapped by someone in my class then I would have to give up waving to my adoring fans

BTW, there is only one L in marshals

Peter Dunne - 'for all your spelling needs'

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 3 Oct 2008 at 09:09.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2303347)   #356
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodness gracious me, does anyone listen to the leader of the Conservative Party speeches???? I quote, "people should be able to use whichever spelling they prefer." And that is from the President of the Spelling Society. One 'L' or two, its all fine by him.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2303348)   #357
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Topic?? what topic!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2303351)   #358
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Here's that Dempsey MDGT for people to decide if it's ugly or not. I rather like it actually, kind of Porsche 935-esque, particularly the way the bodywork sweeps up after the rear wheels.

http://www.conconnolly.com/cutenews/..._1/Scan189.jpg

p.s. I'm assuming it's no issue posting these picture links - if it is, let me know!! There are some other pics of the various GT cars being discussed here in the Oldies sections of con's superb site.
I'm a huge GT fan but I never took to that car......
Having said that, if it's lying in a barn somewhere, I'd happily add it to my collection!! At this stage, I'd almost have a grid of them!!!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2303439)   #359
stealth1
Rookie

stealth1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
Ed's gone all quite. Bet he's gone home and is climbing all over the yoke looking for a chassis plate. If he finds one, all the missus will get when she gets home is a goodbye note!!!!
Ed’s got work to do! Annie says that all I do anyway between March & October is say goodbye …

There may have been a mod saloon / sports rule about original block retention, but the move to GT was to revive interest in the fading mod saloon/sports class so I don’t think retention was really an issue at that time. There was a real irony though about the way the class evolved eventually with regard to the only 2 technical regs originally formulated, which explains a few things. The rules were 1600 normally aspirated 8 valve engines, and equal space either side of the centre line of the car sufficient to accommodate a driver. Then, along came George with the Metro which, because of low numbers was allowed run, thereby blowing the chassis rule (which had been included specifically to ban single seaters with bodies which had caused so much controversy in England, just ask Ron Cumming) into the weeds. That rule though explains why the March chassis on the MD forward of the roll hoop had to be discarded and a wider space frame made up to take its place. Had George arrived earlier with his car, Morgan mightn’t have gone to the trouble, and I might well be the owner of a proper F 2 car now!

Herbie Hutchinson, Jim’s Dad, and a fair peddler of an ex Broadspeed Anglia in Kirkistown from time to time bought George Croziers Maguire Metro not that long ago. Theres a man who enjoys his racing, judging by the broad grin he usually has after he gets out of his car! Told me recently he was looking forward to finishing the Metro and bringing it out again!

Look at the nose and the sweep up bodywork that Graz describes on the MD midget. I’d nearly swear the bodywork for later cars ie mine came from the same moulds, or a modification of them, used for that car … compare pictures & see what I mean … always wondered why the front wheel arches on my nosecone were way higher than they needed to be!

Peter, your stalker might be game to distract your opposition if you turned E P’s question about him around … and maybe PJ might join him for a duet! btw how do u send a pm on this thing??
Old 3 Oct 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2303446)   #360
Peter Dunne
Veteran

All you ever wanted to know and were afraid (until now) to ask is here!

Great post btw, your fingers must be sore after that one
Old 3 Oct 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2303483)   #361
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yeah, as Peter says, GREAT post Ed. The MD fronts do look similar now that you say it.

Mind you, I always thought the 1600 GT class was brought in to suit the TMC?
Anyone remember the TMC's first race? Crozier (in a Mini) and Dempsey (in a Midget), shared the front row with the new machine. Both stalled when the lights changed and practically blocked the grid. I wonder did they get a dropsie??!
Ed?
Old 5 Oct 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2305015)   #362
stealth1
Rookie

stealth1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mind you, I always thought the 1600 GT class was brought in to suit the TMC?
Anyone remember the TMC's first race? Crozier (in a Mini) and Dempsey (in a Midget), shared the front row with the new machine. Both stalled when the lights changed and practically blocked the grid. I wonder did they get a dropsie??!
Ed?
Just back from the Laois Rallysport Club's sprint in Tynagh where I double drove with Michael Roche in his Dallara. Just lets say a steep learning curve between the new circuit & new car to me! BIG thanks Mick, really enjoyed it ... sorry about the mucky car!

How could I possibly comment on that Leo, you sly old dog, having been so closely involved in that project!

The only thing those 2 nearly got that day was a drop kick up the backside from Austin McHale!!
Old 6 Oct 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2305266)   #363
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yeah, remember that? McHale started near the back in his HSR Chevette and when the confusion started he flicked it onto the grass and fishtailed past most of em, think he was 3rd or 4th into the first corner, and finished 2nd!! The TMC was long gone up the road though, for a beautifully orchestrated debut win!!
Ah, the memories......
Must dig out that video......

Any Tynagh pics Ed?
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2305500)   #364
class1comp
Rookie

Ireland
Co. Kildare
class1comp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any Tynagh pics Ed?
Or results?
Old 14 Oct 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2312290)   #365
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormouth
Any Tynagh pics Ed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by class1comp
Or results?
T'would appear not!
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2315216)   #366
class1comp
Rookie

Ireland
Co. Kildare
class1comp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
T'would appear not!
The results have appeared here
Old 23 Oct 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2319469)   #367
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I shouldn't as this is a libre thing but....I saw the other MD (not the really ugly one) in the back of a truck in Morgans a couple of years back and yes Noel has the Metro..in bits..that he swears he will rebuild. There was also a Mini that I think Donal Loughry(?) drove, in a field off the Naas dual carraigeway that I was tempted by, till sense prevailed, a few years ago. Not sure what became of that. Also didn't the rules say the cars had to keep the original windscreen or something similar?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2319627)   #368
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeez guys, at this rate I'll have to move ye all to the "Motorsport History" forum and start a "Who's old yoke is in what shed now" thread! (Oh, and the "Let's all laugh at Motormouth when he had hair" thread!)
Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2319633)   #369
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Jeez guys, at this rate I'll have to move ye all to the "Motorsport History" forum and start a "Who's old yoke is in what shed now" thread! (Oh, and the "Let's all laugh at Motormouth when he had hair" thread!)

BTW, can you please move the arrow in your sig to point upwards?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2319636)   #370
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back to Libre, 2009 thread stared elsewhere. It's never too early.

Back to Irish GT's, any chance of a revival of the series, even in some sort of historic guise? A few of the cars still seem to be knocking around, all be it in various states of disrepair.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2319647)   #371
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Back to Irish GT's, any chance of a revival of the series, even in some sort of historic guise? A few of the cars still seem to be knocking around, all be it in various states of disrepair.
Surely they'd be eligible for the current Formula Libre?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2319731)   #372
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Surely they'd be eligible for the current Formula Libre?
As I said a couple of pages ago, they would surely be eligible for the new saloon libre class?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2319770)   #373
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
As I said a couple of pages ago, they would surely be eligible for the new saloon libre class?
I'm supposed to remember what happened a couple of pages ago?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2319792)   #374
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
I'm supposed to remember what happened a couple of pages ago?
What! You don't re read all 2,291,828 posts on this forum every night?

Shame on you
Old 24 Oct 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2319838)   #375
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
What! You don't re read all 2,291,828 posts on this forum every night?
I have people for that!