Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jan 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2623282)   #626
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
He added nothing to the BTCC, so won't be any great loss to that series.
Apart from a car to the grid, and comparing him to the other Lacettis isn't a straight comparison when they were being run by the factory team. He made a decent start but it tailed off after the fallout at Tempus.

You always seem very critical of people with money on the grid as if they have no right to be there. Yet without these people we'd see grids of about 10 cars rather than the full grids we saw last year.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2623317)   #627
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interestingly, the 'Vaulkhard in talks with other teams' story is now gone from TcT.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2623368)   #628
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof14 View Post

....comparing him to the other Lacettis isn't a straight comparison when they were being run by the factory team
What possible difference does it make to all the dumb moves and driving mistakes he made, whether he is run by a factory team or not??
Quote:
You always seem very critical of people with money on the grid as if they have no right to be there. Yet without these people we'd see grids of about 10 cars rather than the full grids we saw last year.
I've got no problem that people with money or sponorship buy a drive in the series. In fact I appreciate it and know that its perfectly normal in all motorsport, even including F1.
But I do have a problem when very average drivers talk themselves up and try to pretend they are there based on their talent, rather than money, when we all know thats simply not the case.

Last edited by touring fan01; 1 Feb 2010 at 01:10.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2623480)   #629
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
howay man, harry is a canny lad ye know. one of the nicest lads in the paddock, takes time for the fans and a good enough peddaler
Old 1 Feb 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2623620)   #630
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Interestingly, the 'Vaulkhard in talks with other teams' story is now gone from TcT.
Interestingly so have the offending quotes from Mr Vaulkhard's twitter Looks like he's realised in the same way that several footballers and cricketers that twitter is a very public forum and shouting your mouth off on it will be noticed.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2624014)   #631
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new re-worded story now for all to read...

Seems like Harry has changed his tune?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4364
Old 2 Feb 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2624249)   #632
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post

Apparently a phone call from daddy... the gist of its here -

Howay Harry lad... what the **** is aaal dis **** I'm reedin abowt ye twittin dat yis not drivin in dat ****** bambooa team I set up for ye lad. Twit ya waya outta dat naa or eel close me wallit far guud, reet !
Old 2 Feb 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2624302)   #633
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post

Actually, no he hasn't ''changed'' his tune.

The TcT article originally put up made a lot of vague assumptions and didn't have a direct quote from Harry at all.

It all started on his Twitter page, when someone asked him a question (something along the lines of ''Are you doing BTCC next season?'' You can't see the question though), and the answer given was ''Not 100% sure, talking to teams and looking at options'' (sorry if thats not word for word, don't have a perfect memory )

Then TcT picked up on that and ran a story saying he wasn't going to be with bamboo this year. Just another case of them snooping around and posting rumours as gospel without doing their homework unfortunately. Obviously, someone along the lines has seen sense and asked Harry what the plan for this year was, and now we have the current article.

Poor journalism rather than Harry getting told off by parents/team/an internet forum.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2624314)   #634
James Mappin
Rookie

James Mappin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what happened. Someone asked Harry if he was driving in the WTCC with Bamboo this season, to which he replied that he had been talking to other teams and nothing is confirmed.

TcT's Neil Hudson then picked up on this and used Harrys words from Twitter. Harry then asked Neil to remove the article and to contact him via email where Harry would give a proper interview. Hence the new article which we now see.

Harry obviously didn't realise that a tweet can be seen by anyone and has now seen the consequence.

I think that's the last time well be getting any information from Mr. Vaulkhard on that particular social networking site for sure.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2624331)   #635
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All further complicated by the other story saying that the Bamboo website was indicating a WTCC campaign. If you click the link in their story now, you just get access denied, and the main page on the Bamboo website is still carrying BTCC stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm-in-a-teacup.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	25535

Probably...
Old 2 Feb 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2624342)   #636
GroupOfOne
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Actually, no he hasn't ''changed'' his tune.

The TcT article originally put up made a lot of vague assumptions and didn't have a direct quote from Harry at all.

It all started on his Twitter page, when someone asked him a question (something along the lines of ''Are you doing BTCC next season?'' You can't see the question though), and the answer given was ''Not 100% sure, talking to teams and looking at options''.

Poor journalism rather than Harry getting told off by parents/team/an internet forum.
It had a direct quote from Harry's Twitter, that has now been removed! Think that tells you all you need to know about somebody putting something on Twitter and that quote being reported, as has happened in the cases of Ryan Babel, Phil Hughes, Darren Bent and Bradley Wiggins, reported by all the national newspapers and relevant magazines, in the previous year. TCT, and other sites, only did the same as newspapers do, in picking out something of interest. Problem is with twitter is that sarcasm or irony often don't come across if that is what was intended.

But, the fact that all the offending tweets from Mr Vaulkhard have now mysteriously gone seems to indicate that while he hasn't neccessarily changed his tune, he's realised not to play that tune quite so publically.

James seems to have sumarised the situation quite neatly, while as gregc points out, the Bamboo page which spoke of WTCC plans has now mysteriously disappeared.... I think this one's got some mileage left in it for a while.

*Edit* Forgot to add, think the fact that at the same time as Mr Vaulkhard's ponderings there was the Bamboo site's WTCC proclamation and a story in a foreign motorsport magazine about a possible WTCC campaign, which all would have added to the theory that something was (or maybe still is!) up.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2624357)   #637
James Mappin
Rookie

James Mappin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what he said on his Twitter is true but something that he wouldn't want to see in the news. He then rectified the situation by provided an interview.

I know you said they should have done their research but the Media is so fast paced that waiting for a reply can be slow and then the oppurtunity for the article has passed or already done before.

On another note it's nice to see that there are a lot of new and returning aces this season aswell as some new and interesting cars i.e. NGTC Vectra and the Golf
Old 2 Feb 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2624381)   #638
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mappin View Post
I think what he said on his Twitter is true but something that he wouldn't want to see in the news. He then rectified the situation by provided an interview.

I know you said they should have done their research but the Media is so fast paced that waiting for a reply can be slow and then the oppurtunity for the article has passed or already done before.
Although someone called James Mappin seems to have written the quote from twitter as news on his website ( http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/2010/01/3...several-teams/ ). Will be interesting to see whether many exclusives are on this website in the future
Old 2 Feb 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2624393)   #639
medius
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-top fan View Post
Although someone called James Mappin seems to have written the quote from twitter as news on his website ( http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/2010/01/3...several-teams/ ). Will be interesting to see whether many exclusives are on this website in the future
Even then, thats not 100% word for word accurate either, because ''the quote'' is more than 140 characters.

Pedantics aside, and on a different subject, even more Live TV coverage for the BTCC this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81202
Old 2 Feb 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2624410)   #640
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's all very well, but we need some confirmed entries to watch on this TV coverage first. I have a bad feeling that we may see a year like 2005. That first round at Donington was very depressing, struggling to get to double figures in terms of cars.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2624414)   #641
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Anyone fancy doing an updated table of the various confirmed/probable/likely/unlikely/dreaming rumoured entries? (I'm far too lazy to trawl through the thread and do it myself - I figure someone else must be bored enough to do it )
Old 2 Feb 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2624417)   #642
GroupOfOne
Racer

The extra hours really come from the increased number of repeats don't they? To say that there's an extra half an hour of live TV from every meeting isn't strictly true, as several of the programmes last year began at 11.30 or 11.45 (while others at 12.), so there's not 10 x 30mins extra. Anyway standardisation of the transmission times is to be applauded.

Not complaining mind you, well done ITV, just observing.

Also I didn't realise Men & Motors still existed! When it disappeared off Freeview I thought it had died.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2625057)   #643
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there going to be more races to fill the extra time allocated to BTCC, or will it be just pointless filler items and inane chatter.

Expect the amount of advert breaks to increase as ITV struggle to get advertisers.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2625091)   #644
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Anyone fancy doing an updated table of the various confirmed/probable/likely/unlikely/dreaming rumoured entries? (I'm far too lazy to trawl through the thread and do it myself - I figure someone else must be bored enough to do it )
I did one last week, but it seems to have disappeared

Don't think I dreamt it....
Old 2 Feb 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2625095)   #645
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Also I didn't realise Men & Motors still existed! When it disappeared off Freeview I thought it had died.
Nope - it's a legacy of ITV Digital, but it's still going - it's on Freesat. I wouldn't say it's a particularly interesting channel, to be honest.

Bearing in mind some of Saturday's races are recorded, is there any reason they couldn't show qualifying, either live or delayed?
Old 2 Feb 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2625184)   #646
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Nope - it's a legacy of ITV Digital, but it's still going - it's on Freesat. I wouldn't say it's a particularly interesting channel, to be honest.

Bearing in mind some of Saturday's races are recorded, is there any reason they couldn't show qualifying, either live or delayed?
I would imagine the cost would almost double. Normally there are one or two cameramen around with Loiuse during qualifying.. that's all. To bring the whole crew in and all the backroom boys to show it live the costs must be greater.. The recorded races from Satuarday are normally from later in the day.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2625527)   #647
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
That's all very well, but we need some confirmed entries to watch on this TV coverage first. I have a bad feeling that we may see a year like 2005. That first round at Donington was very depressing, struggling to get to double figures in terms of cars.
Don't be so negative, it's still the first week in February for pete's sake! We haven't even had Media Day yet, so what can you expect? It's always been like this. Every year.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2625599)   #648
mickeyc
Rookie

mickeyc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Triple Eight close to entering BTCC 2010 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81230
Old 3 Feb 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2625602)   #649
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be negative if I like, that's just my way of thinking.

I'd say this year is different, because of all the drivers intending to take part and having stories on the official website, they're not frontrunners. They're not the Neals/Platos/Turkingtons/Jacksons/Giovanardis. All of them would like to be there, but it's all dependant on funding.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2625637)   #650
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyc View Post
Triple Eight close to entering BTCC 2010 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81230
That's good news. They're a professional outfit and it will be great to see them on the grid.

In terms of 2010... I don't think it will be a catastrophic year in terms of numbers of entries, its just that all the indications are that it won't match the halycon levels of 2009 in terms of the quality of the grid. Racing is racing though and if we get some decent battles up and down the field, it doesn't really matter who's behind the wheel at the end of the day.
Closed Thread