Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jun 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2908949)   #51
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by -J11-- View Post
how will the American public react to the Aussie cars?
Better than the arabs!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2908968)   #52
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Say what you like about TC but he does pull the deals together. Well done to him and his crew - very big achievement to take an Australian series round (in any sport) into a market as big as the US.

With the series expanding to more rounds (according to earlier reports) this should not mean any less racing at home so hopefully no downsides to this going ahead.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 00:12 (Ref:2908991)   #53
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Say what you like about TC but he does pull the deals together. Well done to him and his crew - very big achievement to take an Australian series round (in any sport) into a market as big as the US.
Very true Tourer how ever how well did the previous deals at China, Bahrain and even Singapore work out for them?

I interested to see the huge popularity the v8's have in the USA as mentioned in the fox sports article eg. tv numbers on speed that is the back bone of this deal according to the report.

There is still alot of water to go under the bridge between now and 2013 for this event to proceed but will watch with interest.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2909022)   #54
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a look at a few US Blogs and the reaction seems to be Whoopeeee!
My only concern is that a lot of them are saying that it is great because they are based on "Real Roadcars" not a few panels hung on a race frame!
Will the advent of COTF mean that they will think we have sold them a pup?
Old 1 Jul 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2909029)   #55
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Rachel Richards;2907664]At best it will run once, maybe twice (think China & Canberra ) because behind Bernie & TC, the France family are the third best autocrats in international motorsport....

Ahh, I can hear it now....

" Dang-nammit, we dont want no goddamm kangaroo race car series cutting in on our (GFC caused, ever diminishing) crowd numbers. I dont care iffen they copied us one cotton-picken iota, they aint gonna keep commin here, period... "

"Cletus, go git ur gun, and shoot them varmits tires out as they go leave the pit road, then maybe they will realise we mean business"

You damn right bubba. Pass them grits sonny. Is America under assault from the foreign racing community to host their races and why? Looks like a fan base doesn't even count and as long as it gets on TV I can see why. Who the hell needs bodies in the grandstand anymore?

Old 1 Jul 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2909045)   #56
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Had a look at a few US Blogs and the reaction seems to be Whoopeeee!
My only concern is that a lot of them are saying that it is great because they are based on "Real Roadcars" not a few panels hung on a race frame!
Will the advent of COTF mean that they will think we have sold them a pup?
The general public on those blogs aint the smartest people. They just assume because it looks a lot like the roadcar, it's based on the road car.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 05:36 (Ref:2909053)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it is based on a road car, im not sure why you would argue that point, No wonder people are confused when so called experts are confused
Old 1 Jul 2011, 05:38 (Ref:2909054)   #58
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
With the series expanding to more rounds (according to earlier reports) this should not mean any less racing at home so hopefully no downsides to this going ahead.
We already have less local racing for the 'touring cars' nowadays than we did in the past (in 1996 there was more V8 race weekends locally than now), you'd hope they wouldn't be going to drop anymore.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 05:53 (Ref:2909060)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Using race days as a base you are clearly wrong Racer

you should be ashamed to stoop so low as to manipulate information like that
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2909061)   #60
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
it is based on a road car, im not sure why you would argue that point, No wonder people are confused when so called experts are confused
They're not. It's a tube frame with panels dropped over it.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2909062)   #61
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Matt the blogs I was reading were differentiating between NASCAR and DTM as series with immitation body panels hung on a race chasis with the V8s which at present incorporate more of the original shell and succeed in looking more lake the original than NASCAR. The COTF proposal is to go down the DTM route in 2013.

Pekstar, please read what I said before calling me a "so called expert".

And I am not trying to knock the project, jut worried that we don't give the impression that we are selling them something and turning up with a different product.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2909063)   #62
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
They're not. It's a tube frame with panels dropped over it.
but those panels are based on those on a road car
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2909067)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Lowndes View
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2909076)   #64
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Matt the blogs I was reading were differentiating between NASCAR and DTM as series with immitation body panels hung on a race chasis with the V8s which at present incorporate more of the original shell and succeed in looking more lake the original than NASCAR. The COTF proposal is to go down the DTM route in 2013.

Pekstar, please read what I said before calling me a "so called expert".

And I am not trying to knock the project, jut worried that we don't give the impression that we are selling them something and turning up with a different product.
from what ive read, the COTF will look the same as the current car, the changes will be all underneath the panels
Old 1 Jul 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2909080)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
the COTF will change nothing , the car will be still based on a road car. is it a road car , no. could i buy one from a dealer, no. are any of the part or panels the same as a road car (apparantly the headlights are (or were)

But it is based on a road car, much more than NASCAR

here is a picture if it helps

Old 1 Jul 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2909083)   #66
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
^Roof looks a little taller.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2909088)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
maybe it is a little, i really dont know and to be honest i dont care, but its still based on a road car, it is actually shorter, and by more than a little

cant say i have ever seen one side by side
Old 1 Jul 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2909118)   #68
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys Guys Guys, why are we quivaling over tube steel, shorter doors, road car v race car ?

We should crackin champers, stubbies of fosters, XXXX, etc

Why, because we now have an AUSTRALIAN, repeat, AUSTRALIAN, racing category , did I mention AUSTRALIAN, racing in the the US.

For years we chased and have had F1, MotoGP(bikes under different names), the Tasman series, when the Euro drivers came out over the off season, INdy Car( Till Anna killed it) and others, and even now attracting interest for the Bathurst 12 hr from internationals.

I don't really care about plastic guards, I dont care the door is shorter, I dont care if it is a Chevy Block with Ford heads, I don't care if it is a Ford 9" diff, WHat I care is it is Australian, and that is good enough for me.

SO chill out, crack a tinny, hold a piece of Wattle, and shout,

Australia, Australia, Australia, you little beauty.

footnote:

FIA-french for Euro racing systems, will not allow us into Europe, so head east young man, the states is it.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2909121)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Guys Guys Guys, why are we quivaling over tube steel, shorter doors, road car v race car ?

Why, because we now have an AUSTRALIAN, repeat, AUSTRALIAN, racing category , did I mention AUSTRALIAN, racing in the the US.

For years we chased and have had F1, MotoGP(bikes under different names), the Tasman series, when the Euro drivers came out over the off season, INdy Car( Till Anna killed it) and others, and even now attracting interest for the Bathurst 12 hr from internationals.

I don't really care about plastic guards, I dont care the door is shorter, I dont care if it is a Chevy Block with Ford heads, I don't care if it is a Ford 9" diff, WHat I care is it is Australian, and that is good enough for me.

footnote:

FIA-french for Euro racing systems, will not allow us into Europe, so head east young man, the states is it.
well you are obviously not getting disagreeance from me
Old 1 Jul 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2909136)   #70
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

footnote:

Just awesome, awesome, AWESOME!
Old 1 Jul 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2909140)   #71
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news for V8 Supercars! Hopefully it all comes together in two years!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2909229)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Great news for V8 Supercars! Hopefully it all comes together in two years!
Still very light details, will be interesting to see how this develops over the next 2 years?
Old 1 Jul 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2909642)   #73
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Still very light details, will be interesting to see how this develops over the next 2 years?

What will be interesting D.R.T. is how NASCAR view this deal. Will they use it for cross promotion with Ambrose to help drive up NASCAR TV ratings in Australia. Or will they treat it like a threat and set out to ensure that this event does not survive after year 1?

If I was TC, I would be sucking up pretty hard to NASCAR right now.

That aside and everyones thoughts on the category, the cars and the people who run it. What a fantastic opportunity to showcase our driving talent in one of the worlds biggest markets.
Could be a good leg up for some of the guys wanting to make the NASCAR switch or open the door for some other road course events.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2909690)   #74
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
What will be interesting D.R.T. is how NASCAR view this deal. Will they use it for cross promotion with Ambrose to help drive up NASCAR TV ratings in Australia. Or will they treat it like a threat and set out to ensure that this event does not survive after year 1?

If I was TC, I would be sucking up pretty hard to NASCAR right now.
The V8 guys have had an open dialogue going with NASCAR for a number of years - including delegations coming down here to see how V8s operate and back the other way.

You'd have to think that there were discussions with NASCAR on the subject of V8s racing there already.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:16 (Ref:2909698)   #75
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

footnote:

Bring em to Bristol. As in Bristol, Tennessee ya all.