Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 1 Jun 2017, 08:37 (Ref:3737890)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Veggie McLaren Movie

Well known movie chain have a trailer of this movie on their website, along with a release date of the 27th of June.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3738017)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just seen that. Did we know about this? It rings a bell.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3738067)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Supposed to be quite good too,some non motor racing friends went to see a pre release screening of it and really enjoyed it.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3738717)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched it last week at our local cinema at what appears to have been a one-off screening along with around 50 other like minded individuals who had hunted it down. To be honest it was a strange mixture of still photos, grainy home movies and as one would expect some very poignant memories from the people close to him including some who have since passed away themselves. Nevertheless I found the documentary totally engrossing following the life of this great driver and engineer. Alistair Caldwell's account of the tragedy at Goodwood was particularly poignant and even though I had heard him retell the event previously it was very emotional moment. Well worth a seeing if you have the opportunity.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3738798)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Might have to wait for it to come out on DVD, it looks good by the trailers
Old 17 Aug 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3759944)   #6
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like it is out on DVD, ABC bookshops are advertising it as available online or in store.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3760042)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Looks like it is out on DVD, ABC bookshops are advertising it as available online or in store.
Yes I have it and watched last night. Pretty good effort and it's clear the affection colleagues have for the late great.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3769833)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DVD now out there on wide release...

I thoroughly enjoyed the doco, highly engrossing, as stated above and a great tribute to the man, the era and those around him...

Yet another kiwi who punched well above their weight!
Old 4 Nov 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3778494)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shock Horror!

Bruce McLaren's former garage in Remuera to become apartments...but the McLaren Trust is moving to Hampton Downs
Old 6 Nov 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3779093)   #10
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been looking forward to this for quite a while, my DVD arrived last Friday and I sat down late on Saturday to watch it thinking I'll probably finish it the next day. I didn't move a muscle for the next 1.5hrs! I knew quite a bit about the man and his racing team and the personalities involved through books by Eoin Young, Phil Kerr (To Finish First) and Tyler Alexander but I was still engrossed. Alastair Caldwell's account for finding Bruce after the accident is incredibly moving, quite harrowing actually. It was also moving seeing a range of faces who are no longer with us since the film was made: Patty McLaren, my racing hero Chris Amon, Phil Kerr and Tyler Alexander.

I would recommend the film to anyone with an interest in that era of motorsports. I would also recommend the McLaren tapes, I bought the CD from the McLaren Trust well over a decade ago now and it's a real blast to hear Bruce talking.

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/product_in ... cts_id/161

PS: Did Teddy Meyer ever pen a biography?
Old 7 Nov 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3779135)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is this only on dvd, and not any streaming services?

along a similar theme, the williams doc is a good watch. has a 'senna'esque feel to it, and some wonderful old footage. can be found on netflix, if you're a subscriber.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3779211)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very true, the Williams one is worth it for many reasons

The complete lack of Frank being anything other than a racing man, the fallout from Clare and her brother and Frank Dernie's opinion of Mansell!
Old 8 Nov 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3779467)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, that’s exactly what i felt about it. in true williams style it wasn’t over sensationalised nor emotionally manipulative and i would imagine everyone who sees it comes away feeling the same. personally i admire ginny a huge amount (and the kind of love frank and claire had for her was clear), like and respect claire (and her handling of a brother who needs a therapist and a slap), and a healthy balance of understanding frank, respecting who he is and what he stands for but feeling sorry for his family for being on the receiving end.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3841475)   #14
Michael S
Rookie

Michael S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bruce McLaren film is being shown on ITV4 at 11PM Friday 10 August
Old 4 Aug 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3841480)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
The Bruce McLaren film is being shown on ITV4 at 11PM Friday 10 August
Great. Thanks very much for the heads-up!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3841748)   #16
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I've been looking forward to this for quite a while, my DVD arrived last Friday and I sat down late on Saturday to watch it thinking I'll probably finish it the next day. I didn't move a muscle for the next 1.5hrs! I knew quite a bit about the man and his racing team and the personalities involved through books by Eoin Young, Phil Kerr (To Finish First) and Tyler Alexander but I was still engrossed. Alastair Caldwell's account for finding Bruce after the accident is incredibly moving, quite harrowing actually. It was also moving seeing a range of faces who are no longer with us since the film was made: Patty McLaren, my racing hero Chris Amon, Phil Kerr and Tyler Alexander.

I would recommend the film to anyone with an interest in that era of motorsports. I would also recommend the McLaren tapes, I bought the CD from the McLaren Trust well over a decade ago now and it's a real blast to hear Bruce talking.

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/product_in ... cts_id/161

PS: Did Teddy Meyer ever pen a biography?
I saw this a month ago on satellite. Very sad of course, but also very compelling. Great story about always pushing past limits and always improving. I meant to recommend it to a non racing friend of mine. I am sure she does not know the story, but I wanted to her from her if she found interest in the film.

I am feeling old now thinking about how long ago the days of the Big Orange were. Can-Am, but also Indianapolis.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3854269)   #17
Kingair
Veteran

Likewise sat down and watched the DVD, and was spellbound for 1.5 hours.

An amazing man, that we should all be proud of.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3889232)   #18
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yeah, that’s exactly what i felt about it. in true williams style it wasn’t over sensationalised nor emotionally manipulative and i would imagine everyone who sees it comes away feeling the same. personally i admire ginny a huge amount (and the kind of love frank and claire had for her was clear), like and respect claire (and her handling of a brother who needs a therapist and a slap), and a healthy balance of understanding frank, respecting who he is and what he stands for but feeling sorry for his family for being on the receiving end.
I finally got round to seeing the Williams documentary a couple of weeks ago. Remarkable stuff. I found it extremely moving. I knew very little about Lady Williams but my God what a remarkable woman she was. Sir Frank is, shall we say a product of his era when it comes to expressing himself emotionally. I still admire him but I admire Ginny more. She probably could have sorted out the situation between Jonathan and Claire.

One thing I thought was odd was Ginny's first husband not being mentioned by name or shown once.

Last edited by cg7aa; 8 Mar 2019 at 22:00.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3889251)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree the Williams documentary was one of the best. Interviewed the right people and great old stock footage too
Old 9 Mar 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3889310)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing that I took from it is the expectation of the son, and the fact he was utterly shoved aside!!
Old 10 Mar 2019, 18:51 (Ref:3889494)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Well he wasn’t that important to the story, and maybe he didn’t want to be interviewed