Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2747095)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Favourite SPA Moments

Mine has to be that move on Schumacher by Hakkinen in 2000, i remember this one well and was where i fell in love with F1.

I had just started racing myself in 2000 aged 11 and started watching F1 then and have done ever since. When i got home i stuck that GP on as my grandmother had taped it for me and the lap before the move my dad was poiting out how hakkinen was in the slipstream and would have a go at the end of the straight and then scumacher moved over and he was moved onto the grass. Then a lap later it happened, and my dad said you have just seen something very special there and from then on i was McLaren Mad and it was the first GP i watched from start to finish. Sorry for the nostalgia but that is my favourite Spa moment.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2747133)   #2
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many to choose from! I'll go for Jordan getting their breakthrough 1-2 - after Schumacher trying to throttle DC!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2747143)   #3
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Schumiforeverever has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spa 1992, when Schumacher won his first race.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2747144)   #4
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to go Hakkinen on Schumacher as well. Brilliant overtake
Old 19 Aug 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2747156)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spa 1998, the huge ho-down at the start, the Jordan 1-2, a three-wheeling Schumi.
It just had everything.

So three moments in one Spa Grand Prix.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2747169)   #6
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was tempted to say that one as well because i have seen that GP but it was a tape a mate lent me. I picked 00 because it was an apt first GP to watch and it was like the perfect advert for F1.

98 did have evrything in 1 race though i must admit
Old 19 Aug 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2747179)   #7
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Spa 1998, the huge ho-down at the start, the Jordan 1-2, a three-wheeling Schumi.
It just had everything.

So three moments in one Spa Grand Prix.
Oh yes it was an anthological grand prix, but sadly finished when Schumi lost once again all chances to win his first title with Ferrari.
unforgivable mistake made by Coulthard.

Spa in 1995,another classical race.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2747217)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
last couple of years have been exciting.

2009 - Fisi puts a Force India on pole.

2008 - Hammy and Kimi's last couple of laps duel. (maybe one of LH best races and still bothers me that he was dropped down by the stewards)

reall looking forward to this year
Old 19 Aug 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2747220)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
1998 - I remember, this was when I was really starting to try and follow F1 a little more. My uncle (who got me in to it), told me he was going to Spa, so I knew I had to catch this one. First of all, I remember my mum being quite amused at how appauling the conditions were as my Uncle was in an un-roofed grandstand. Then, you had the pile up, which is still one of the biggest in F1 history. Then you had Damon Hill go on to lead a Jordan 1-2. Very, very memorable. Oh, and did I forget to mention a certain near punch-up between two angry racers?

2000 - Schuey/Hakkinen - 'Nuff said.

2008 - One of my favourite last (ish) lap battles. Had me literally standing on my sofa (yes..) shouting, just witnessing this legendary battle. If you think i'm overreacting, just go back and watch those last couple of laps. Seriously heart pounding stuff, and reminded me what F1 was about. We later saw that year another contender for most epic final lap at Brazil...

2009 - Special mention for Giancarlo Fisichella sticking the Force India on pole, in what was one of the most bizarre poles in recent history. Plus it was a tremendous finish for 2nd place.

Cannot wait for this race. Shame I won't have my full 3 screen (main feed, on-board, and track map) empire as I will be at my girlfriends, so a tiny screen will have to suffice!

Selby
Old 19 Aug 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2747225)   #10
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far a recent Spa moments go, 2004 is a often overlooked. A cracking race!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2747236)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
I'm going to go Hakkinen on Schumacher as well. Brilliant overtake
That makes three of us. It was beautifully judged and very brave considering that Schumacher had tried to take him off at the same point on the previous lap.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2747260)   #12
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2000 Häkkinen - TGF
Old 19 Aug 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2747350)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anything from the old Spa....

Most of 1998.... especially when Schumi had his life saved by the McLaren mechanics who frog marched him out of their pit garage after MS came mincing down pitlane threatening all sorts of things. Although secretly I would much have preferred to see Michael break his hand trying to crack one on DC's jaw, and would have loved to see DC, known to be a bit on the tough side, lay Michael out with a quick 1-2.

Plus of course the Mika move on Schumi must be one of the all time great moves.

I also must admit to having a quiet chortle when Michael cuffed a helmeted Sato as he sat in his car having IIRC run into Michael at an SC restart. (maybe in 05?)
Old 19 Aug 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2747365)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
This will no doubt stir up some acrimony, but I thought Kimi's drive last year was pretty special.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2747373)   #15
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was special in a way as he was allowed to pass on the grass without receiving a penalty. Oh, and the car was really, really terrible as well, but he still managed to hold that Force India behind himself, mostly because of KERS
Old 19 Aug 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2747387)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
This will no doubt stir up some acrimony, but I thought Kimi's drive last year was pretty special.
Yes I thought that quite a drive as well, to bring home an undeveloped old mule home in the front, KERS or not. He still had to carry the weight of the KERS around. Plus of course it was an option open to every other car on the grid, some who felt it more trouble than its advantages.

But then KR had become the undisputed SpaMeister over time, only failing to win the race three times from his debut in 2001, when the gearbox broke on his Sauber at the start, and the following year, 2002, when the McLaren (Merc) engine cried enough.

The only other race he ever lost there was when Ferrari refused his request for wets in the 2008 race when it rained at the end and Kimi ended up in the wall.

For sure I will miss not seeing Raikkonen at Spa this year.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2747401)   #17
Schumiforeverever
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That makes three of us. It was beautifully judged and very brave considering that Schumacher had tried to take him off at the same point on the previous lap.
Hating and Lies.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2747404)   #18
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Hakkinen move was great, but the Spa race for me is 1992 with MS's first win, my first motorrace race (cause Murray was screaming about this young new kid) which got me interested in F1, then motorracing, then marshalling and all these years later a wonderful wife (met on the banks) and beautiful kids and wonderful friends. All thanks to Michael!
Old 20 Aug 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2747415)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa 2010 - Webbers victory at his favourite track
Old 20 Aug 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2747418)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
May I borrow your crystal ball for next week's lotto numbers? Mine seems to be broken............

As for favourite Spa moments I'd have to say 2008 or the massive pileup in 1998, they're the ones that really stick in my head. Although it was really neat to see Fisi grab pole last year.

Ah Spa, what a wonderful place.

Last edited by rich07; 20 Aug 2010 at 02:29.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2747432)   #21
Falconboy03
Rookie

Falconboy03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
This,

I Hope....
Old 20 Aug 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2747448)   #22
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikkonen 2009 was a great race in a terrible car and a parting F$%^ you to Ferrari i felt, while he never said it there was some frustration and anger in the mind of the Iceman when Teflonso took his ride.

The "Overtake" in 2000 was very special no doubts one of the best ever F1 moves.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 06:34 (Ref:2747458)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1996, with MS gaining 4 sec per lap under the rain
Old 20 Aug 2010, 06:50 (Ref:2747461)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
1996, with MS gaining 4 sec per lap under the rain
That was good!

My personal favourite was Villeneuve and Zonta binnig the Williams cars
in consecutive practise sessions in 1999 after promising each other they
would take Eau Rouge flat without lifting off!
Thankfully neither was hurt!

Last truly motor racing competition i've heard of in F1!

Last edited by wnut; 20 Aug 2010 at 07:09.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 07:00 (Ref:2747463)   #25
Wims
Veteran

Norway
That was more of an ego driven dick measuring contest than a motor racing competition imo :P