Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:42 (Ref:355561)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda engines go boom!

One thing I noticed about todays Ohio race was that 4/6 Honda runners didn't finish, and those 4 retirements were very likely due to engine problems.

Has Honda stopped developing their Cart engines, not giving enough resources? Whatever it is, there appear to be problems with the Honda engines... Any ideas?

I'm sure some guys are looking forward to next year when engines will be less of a deciding factor...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Aug 2002, 00:08 (Ref:355634)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least this year they are not blowing up into the air when the plenums go bang. I wondered about that too, but have heard people say that the Honda engines are at least 6 months behind the Toyotas in development.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 00:33 (Ref:355652)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's no surprise that Honda and Toyota would be stopping their development around now as they are in their final months of CART. I'd like to think that the two manufacturers would keep putting the same effort into their engines as they have over the past 8 years, but there comes a time when they'll just think it's no longer worth it.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 03:07 (Ref:355729)   #4
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are off to the irl. Great to see the Cosworth win, if that engine continues to battle so well with the t & h then there is no doubt that next years package will be awesome.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 19:27 (Ref:357094)   #5
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that Honda is no longer making parts for their CART engines. Just using old parts for engine rebuilds. Honda doesn't seem to care if they win or lose. Toyota could be going this way soon.

Looks like it is a good time to have Ford power.

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 13 Aug 2002 at 19:28.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 02:02 (Ref:357407)   #6
tantra
Rookie

tantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You heard wrong.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 03:21 (Ref:357426)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I believe that there is alot of honour to uphold in the Honda/Toyota rivalry, and both will do everything they can to beat the other.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 03:52 (Ref:357433)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a marketing perspective (which is why these guy's pay to play) it makes no sense to abandon and thereby devalue all of the sponsor dollars previously spent by not supporting your product. My experience is that each manufacturer will be trying to win each race. Winning is good business any way you look at it.

additionally,how many IRL teams will want to run an engine that has/had poor performance in CART? I'd bet my bottom dollar these companies are giving it their all and that they have recently just experienced a little bad racing luck.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 04:24 (Ref:357441)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe it is because of new development that their engines went "boom".
Old 14 Aug 2002, 21:26 (Ref:357962)   #10
MolsonBoy
Racer

From Champweb.net:

Update on Honda blow-ups

We confirmed today that Honda is indeed using old parts, and will not be making any more investment towards their CART engine program. Therefore, if you have a Ford you are in good shape. Why do we say that? Because Toyota will be doing the same thing shortly. What engine you get from Honda right now is luck of the draw, and if your lucky, your engine will last. This is the downside of the how the current engine manufactur involvement runs the series. The teams can't do anything about it.

http://www.champweb.net

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 14 Aug 2002 at 21:28.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 22:05 (Ref:357991)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth,I checked with a friend that works with Honda and his response was that the Champweb statement was inflamatory. They are not using "old parts" but rather new parts in stock. Indeed they are not investing new money toward the CART program but have plenty of existing inventory to give full support to thier teams and are contracted to do so.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 14:02 (Ref:358354)   #12
MolsonBoy
Racer

Flatspot, thank you for the clarification.