Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3834766)   #51
Drew81
Rookie

Drew81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time at Le Mans

Hey, I just joined the forum as I'm booked to go to Le Mans in 2019 and was just looking for some advice from people who've been there or are going.

I'm travelling alone so I've joined a coach tour coming in from England. Last year was the first time I watched Le Mans and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I figured actually going to see it live would be even better.

My race ticket is general admission so I won't be in the grandstands and I'm wondering where is the best place to get a good view that I can also take good photos? What other stuff do they have going on around the circuit to enjoy? Can you freely move around the track during the race? Is it easy to find your way around? How safe is it to stay track side during the night as I have seen some people do? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3834773)   #52
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re photography. Starting from the main start / finish straight. Get the rear of the cars exiting the ford chicane and heading up the pit straight. Through the fence, but at one point this is single layer so you can get a clean shot. Night time is excellent given what modern cameras can do. Grandstand T34 (on sale Oct time) above the pits can be good for pit straight but you need a head for heights. Other than that, head up past the Dunlop Bridge on the outside and walk down past the small chapel. You can get them going through the Esses. Bit if a long shot and a step will help give you more leeway with the top of the fence. Keep going and there a couple more places before Tertre Rouge where you can shoot clean either coming towards you or going away. Go under the track near Tertre Rouge and turn left first. You can get them on the apex of Tertre Rouge and see who is riding the kerbs. Walk back then up the inside of the circuit all the way to the exit of the Esses where there is a disabled viewing point. Again a step will help above the fence line. One step is enough, but a higher two step is even better. Up towards the Porsche curves on the inside there at some buildings you can use to get above the fence line, but these are not always available. Worth a try though. There is also a gate you can get next to to get a rear shot into the chicane with the aco building and grandstands as a backdrop. Tripod or monopod will help for either of the rear shots. Am told that Indianoplis / Arnage is OK now it’s been altered but have not been there since it was changed. My "best of" here -https://flic.kr/s/aHskAxpmVV
Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:54 (Ref:3834783)   #53
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well my first trip to le mans was a coach trip with page and moy in 1985, It is hard work, Next year will me number 33 i think so can't have been that bad but never used the buses since as have driven or been driven down since. Daughter used coaches to get down about 5 years ago as she had to work on the friday, Coach got lost approaching le mans and after realising something was wrong she had to direct the coach back to le mans and the circuit, She did not use it coming back. The coach can be used as a base but sleeping is a problem and food and drink will need to be purchased on the way down or at the circuit. Try and meet up with people once down there so that you can rest somewhere and relax. The first year you will be amazed and get a better idea of what to do in the following years it is addictive and i will guarantee you will be planning your return on the way home. make sure you attend the meeting on saturday.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3834855)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew81 View Post
Hey, I just joined the forum as I'm booked to go to Le Mans in 2019 and was just looking for some advice from people who've been there or are going.

I'm travelling alone so I've joined a coach tour coming in from England. Last year was the first time I watched Le Mans and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I figured actually going to see it live would be even better.

My race ticket is general admission so I won't be in the grandstands and I'm wondering where is the best place to get a good view that I can also take good photos? What other stuff do they have going on around the circuit to enjoy? Can you freely move around the track during the race? Is it easy to find your way around? How safe is it to stay track side during the night as I have seen some people do? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Drew81, I'd suggest you start your quest here -

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136187

and then, if you have the time, begin reading the threads in the subforum. Many of us have been going for a long time. This year was my 33rd (straight) and I plan to be back again next year. I've done the coach trip three times, '92, '93 and '98. The first two were very good indeed but I had the same issues as Simon (GT6) spoke of in '98 when it turned out that neither the coach driver nor the tour guide on the coach had been to Le Mans before - not a great start! Who are you travelling with and when are you intending to go over (and from where)?

As a (very) amateur photographer I've been taking largely very average photos at Le Mans for all of those 33 years. (Google me - you'll find me.... ). There are 'secret' spots around the track - the bottom of the Esses, on the inside of the Esses and from the Ford Chicane where you can avoid fencing, but it's not easy and there is always competition for the best spots. Tertre Rouge is most people's favourite as on the inside you can get above the fencing - and it's a great place to spectate from anyway.

So probably best for you to pose questions as they occur to you. There is no such thing as a silly question..... And welcome to the forum.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3834976)   #55
Drew81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Re photography. Starting from the main start / finish straight. Get the rear of the cars exiting the ford chicane and heading up the pit straight... ... ...
Thank you for all that great advice dwh43scale. I currently have a mid-range Canon DSLR. I used to have something a bit better as I used to do photography (of people) for a living but that had to be sold during a spell of unemployment after I closed my studio. It's still a good quality camera though but I need to invest in extra cards and batteries and a better zoom lens before Le Mans.

My only motorsport photography experience so far was at Silverstone for the classic races a few years back and I've photographed some local rallies etc. Your shots are excellent! Lots of good inspiration there as to what can be achieved but I imagine it's a bigger challenge just to get good spots at the circuit that aren't already crowded.

I'm bringing my DSLR and also a little handycam camcorder as I want to get some video of the event too. It's only an entry level camcorder but it has an excellent zoom and sharp quality picture which will be good for the daytime stuff.

Unfortunately I'm only going to be in attendance for the race itself. My tour arrives on Friday but it only brings us to the circuit for Saturday/Sunday and the ticket included in the tour is only general admission so I'll not have the chance to get shots from the grandstands unfortunately. There didn't seem to be any option to upgrade the ticket.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 11:57 (Ref:3834977)   #56
Drew81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well my first trip to le mans was a coach trip with page and moy in 1985, It is hard work, Next year will me number 33 i think so can't have been that bad but never used the buses since as have driven or been driven down since. Daughter used coaches to get down about 5 years ago as she had to work on the friday, Coach got lost approaching le mans and after realising something was wrong she had to direct the coach back to le mans and the circuit, She did not use it coming back. The coach can be used as a base but sleeping is a problem and food and drink will need to be purchased on the way down or at the circuit. Try and meet up with people once down there so that you can rest somewhere and relax. The first year you will be amazed and get a better idea of what to do in the following years it is addictive and i will guarantee you will be planning your return on the way home. make sure you attend the meeting on saturday.
Page and Moy! I'd forgotten that name. I remember them now you mention it though. Are they bust now I think? I booked my tour with Leger. I've seen a mixture of reviews on their Le Mans tour.

I've never travelled alone before so for my first trip alone out of the country I figured a coach tour was the way to go and of the few I looked at Leger was decent enough for the price. I just hope whoever our driver is actually knows how to get to the circuit!

It would definitely be great to meet up with any other folks here going down if they don't mind a newbie tagging along. Bear with me here as I really am green on this but what is the meeting on Saturday? And where?

I'm really looking forward to the trip though and I have no doubt I'll be wanting to come back year after year
Old 6 Jul 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3834978)   #57
Drew81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Drew81, I'd suggest you start your quest here -

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136187

and then, if you have the time, begin reading the threads in the subforum. Many of us have been going for a long time. This year was my 33rd (straight) and I plan to be back again next year. I've done the coach trip three times, '92, '93 and '98. The first two were very good indeed but I had the same issues as Simon (GT6) spoke of in '98 when it turned out that neither the coach driver nor the tour guide on the coach had been to Le Mans before - not a great start! Who are you travelling with and when are you intending to go over (and from where)?

As a (very) amateur photographer I've been taking largely very average photos at Le Mans for all of those 33 years. (Google me - you'll find me.... ). There are 'secret' spots around the track - the bottom of the Esses, on the inside of the Esses and from the Ford Chicane where you can avoid fencing, but it's not easy and there is always competition for the best spots. Tertre Rouge is most people's favourite as on the inside you can get above the fencing - and it's a great place to spectate from anyway.

So probably best for you to pose questions as they occur to you. There is no such thing as a silly question..... And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for that link and the warm welcome!

I'm really looking forward to the race. It was amazing to watch on tv so I can only imagine what it must be like in person. Looks like there is lots of good info on that link so thanks for that. I'll have to get planning over the next 11 months.

My tour is with Leger. I've seen a mix of reviews on their Le Mans tour but the price seemed reasonable and I know their other tours outside of motorsport get good reviews. Our tour only brings us in for the race itself though. We arrive in France on Friday and then the circuit on Saturday though to the Sunday just after the race. It suited me though as I'm flying into Birmingham from Belfast to join the coach down to France which means I've had to book two extra days off work (the Thur and Tue) to allow for the extra travel I have to do. That was as much time as I could afford to take off work around that time.

There's a hotel booked for us for the Friday and Sunday night. On race night the coach is parked at the circuit for us to sleep in or leave our bags etc. I was kinda planning that I would just stay trackside through the night as I've seen people do this in the Le Mans videos on their social media. I don't mind all the walking and the loss of home comforts but I'm just concerned as to whether it's safe enough being trackside during the night? My ticket is general admission so I won't have the privilege of grandstand views but I don't mind too much as hopefully I'll be a bit closer to the action for some photos and video if i'm able to get a decent spot at the fences.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3835014)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trackside is generally pretty safe during the race and race night. Yes, you do get some lads who can't control their booze intake (most of whom are consequently comatose by 2 in the morning), but in 33 years (including more than 20 when I was wandering the circuit alone at night), I never had any problems. You do have to keep an eye on things like cameras, so I always keep a close eye on my camera bag and keep other things like phone and wallet very secure about my person.

As a starter, a coach trip is actually a very good way in my opinion. You may well find yourself buddying up with others, even in such a short space of time. If you do become addicted (as most on here will say you will ), you can perhaps go for a longer trip in future years and consider whether you need to buy a grandstand ticket. It's always worth looking out on eBay in the 5-6 weeks leading up to the race as surplus tickets (including grandstand seats) will come up and last minute bargains can often be had. Occasionally Tenths members will advertise spare tickets on here as well which can't be offered at more than face value (plus any additional costs incurred through agencies). As I say, plenty of time to pick all this up. Subscribe to some of the threads and you'll get emails when they're updated.....
Old 7 Jul 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3835134)   #59
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're staying trackside just make sure to layer up. Easy to forget after a boiling day that you do get colder than you'd imagine, especially when you aren't moving around. Like Ayse said if you are going to catch some zzzz's trackside then just try to cover your camera bag. Wrap it around your leg or something like that.
Old 7 Jul 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3835152)   #60
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be worth buying a cheap grandstand ticket (I think Tertre Rouge is the cheapest and never looks like it sells out so should be readily available) as an insurance against it being a wet year, could be pretty miserable if you've no shelter.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3835632)   #61
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drew81 .....

Oh dear ..... your life will never be the same. You have just started out on having to get that annual 'fix'!

Joking aside ....... there a couple of companies in UK that rent the larger, more expensive telephoto lenses at very reasonable rates. I have used Lens For Hire for many years now and they provide an excellent service which includes delivery and collection. This is a great way to get the high quality kit without having to have deep pockets. In terms of lens length, 300-400mm is the least that you will want - you can get away with less but you will get very frustrated in some places. Also, if you are renting a lens make sure that you get the fastest possible - you can get some great shots when the light starts to fade but you will need f2.8/f4.0 at least - if you have any more questions on shooting from outside the fence just let me know.

With regards to places to stand for photographs from outside the fence, I was pleasantly surprised the first time I went by just how many different angles I could achieve. Yes, it isn't easy, especially at the start and finish of the race but at most other times I found that waiting patiently at a particular spot would usual create an opportunity when someone moved on. You will be shooting through debris fencing almost continually, but with a little bit of thought, a long, fast telephoto lens it is possible.

You will walk miles! Be prepared for this with decent shows/boots as the ground can be uneven in a lot of places. Heath and safety in France is nothing like it is in the UK. And yes, you will need an large amount of memory cards and batteries if you have no charging and download facility - if you think you have enough, just double it!

As you have already found, everybody on here is more than happy to help out and answer any questions however stupid you may think they are - we have all asked similar things at some point.

You WILL get hooked though so start saving for 2020 already!
Old 13 Oct 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3856388)   #62
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferries and tickets booked. Bring on race week 😀😀😀
Old 13 Oct 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3856390)   #63
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
My situation hasn't changed, I will be watching from my new home back in Romania, but I think I have finally convinced a very good friend of mine to go to the race next year.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3856418)   #64
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
My situation hasn't changed, I will be watching from my new home back in Romania, but I think I have finally convinced a very good friend of mine to go to the race next year.
So that is 2020 Victor. we will raise a glass to you at the meet.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3856465)   #65
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
Ferries and tickets booked. Bring on race week 😀😀😀
Nice one.

Just to check is the race date now set in stone? I’m sure it’s changed in past years but perhaps not this late. I normally book quite a bit later but the group I’m planning to go with this year are far more organised and want it booked up ASAP.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3856526)   #66
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Nice one.

Just to check is the race date now set in stone? I’m sure it’s changed in past years but perhaps not this late. I normally book quite a bit later but the group I’m planning to go with this year are far more organised and want it booked up ASAP.
The only thing that is essential to book this early is accommodation or camping to be honest, ferry/tunnel prices usually reasonable until early next year and race tickets never change or sell out. If you want grandstand tickets then perhaps book those early as some stands sell out early
Old 15 Oct 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3856980)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
Nice one.

Yes, like Excalibur.......
Old 15 Oct 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3856981)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The only thing that is essential to book this early is accommodation or camping to be honest, ferry/tunnel prices usually reasonable until early next year and race tickets never change or sell out. If you want grandstand tickets then perhaps book those early as some stands sell out early
I'll hopefully be ordering tickets tomorrow, one way or the other and ferry is already booked.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3857117)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Form completed and sent in to Catherine
Old 16 Oct 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3857122)   #70
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Tertre Rouge Campsite tickets booked with and confirmed by Catherine at the Le Mans Tourist Office
Old 16 Oct 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3857123)   #71
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Usual fun and games on web site which seems to work well on alternate years ... so picked up the phone and quickly and efficiently sorted out. So, a lesson for next year !
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3857156)   #72
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Spent several hours waiting to connect, by which time Dunlop tribune had pretty much sold out.

But I got a ticket, a selection of grandstand seats and white parking! It'll be my first Le Mans, after a false start last year when I had to cancel at the last minute.

All being well, 2019 will see me do a grand slam of Dubai, Daytona, Le Mans, Nurburgring and Spa 24 Hours. Estimated total photo count for the five trips about 25,000 :-)
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3857157)   #73
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Nice selection - currently planning Sebring, LM, N24 (and Ypres rally on the way home). Spa may be a late addition, although the Six Hours for older stuff is also impressive.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3857158)   #74
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Sebring this year clashes with my Dad's 80th Birthday, otherwise I'd have gone there rather than Daytona. I tentatively plan to alternate them, especially if WEC continue to go there alongside IMSA.

/back on topic

My first Le Mans! Woo hoo!
Old 16 Oct 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3857167)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It was actually my first experience of online booking with the ACO today. I was there, ready and waiting at 10 am French time and then spent hours trying to stay logged in and then watching a 1 minute countdown timer run down over and over again. I was at work (actually in a courtroom) so I could only look in from time to time. I had a few more opportunities during the afternoon and was ready to give up until 3.45 pm when suddenly the booking page opened and I booked entry tickets and the GS seats I'd wanted all along in 3-4 minutes. So I'm a happy bunny tonight. Can others recall when they received their tickets last year?