Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Feb 2007, 00:54 (Ref:1851626)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Mark Martin

So... after Fontana Mark Martin leads the championship... what chance a second car so he can run the whole season??
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1851633)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The team has apparently told him that they will get him a car if he wants to run the full season.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:17 (Ref:1851640)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is that if he decides to run the whole season he can keep the car he has and they will field a different car for Regan smith.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1851645)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many more confirmed races does he have? He's be silly to say no considering the incredible form he has got going at the moment.

Then again, he may not want to, which is fine.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 01:29 (Ref:1851648)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that he is scheduled to run the first 4 races of the season. after that I am not sure. If he is in the top 5 after the first 4 races....go for it.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 02:17 (Ref:1851659)   #6
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark Martin's retirement clearly has nothing to do with a decline in his driving skills. He proved that by qualifying for the Chase each of the previous three years. I believe that his decision was fueled at least in part by Roush Racing's desire to install another young driver into his loaded NEXTEL Cup stable. Whether Mark's commitment ever wavered because of this inevitability or if Roush simply told him to get out of the car, I can't say for sure. The primary question right now for him is if he has the commitment now, with his new team, to continue competing at the top level, because it is obvious that he still has the talent.

He is seeing his contemporaries, the veteran race-winning drivers in their mid-forties and beyond, take several different paths as their careers begin to come to their conclusion. Some, like Rudd, Jarrett, and Ward Burton, coming back to drive full-time after seemingly walking away from the sport, while others such as Schrader, Elliott, and Terry Labonte, keep poking their heads in the door on a semi-regular basis. Meanwhile, as a very personable and well-spoken guy, he can do what Rusty Wallace did, lobby for a high-profile broadcast job and never have to strap into a race car again.

In addition, Bobby Ginn is a new-money owner who wants to make a big splash in NASCAR. The man has come seemingly from out of nowhere to become a major player in the fields of hospitality and real estate. The team that he has taken over is a respectable program, but a far cry from the Hendricks and Roushes of the sport. The other two full-time drivers he has, Nemechek and Marlin, are well-suited for the team that Ginn Racing used to be. They qualify near the front of the grid and stay there for solid finishing results. What they won't do, though, is contend for race wins week-in and week-out, and they won't be a threat for the championship. Mark Martin would give Ginn that, and I'm sure that Bobby Ginn is offering Mark whatever he can offer him to convince Mark to make another run at the Cup. Once again, though, it is up to Mark's commitment whether he takes up that offer or not.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1852096)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
No full season for Martin:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56955
Old 26 Feb 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1852115)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Bah, that's a real shame! The end of the season is faaaar to long away to be thinking about it, but what a fairytale it would have been!

I've just looked on the Ginn Racing website and they've got a list of the planned outings:

Quote:
Feb. 10 Bud Shootout @ Daytona
Feb. 18 Daytona 500
Feb. 25 California Speedway
March 11 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
March 18 Atlanta Motor Speedway
April 15 Texas Motor Speedway
April 21 Phoenix International Raceway
May 5 Richmond International Raceway
May 12 Darlington Raceway
May 19 Nextel All-Star Challenge
May 27 Cola-Cola 600
June 3 Dover International Speedway
June 10 Pocono Raceway
June 17 Michigan International Speedway
July 7 Daytona International Speedway
July 15 Chicagoland Speedway
July 29 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
August 19 Michigan International Speedway
Sept. 30 Kansas Speedway
Oct. 13 Lowes Motor Speedway
Oct. 28 Atlanta Motor Speedway
Nov. 4 Texas Motor Speedway
Nov. 18 Homestead-Miami Speedway
I'm really disappointed to see that he'll not be running at Talladega, I'd have looked forward to cheering him on there!
Old 26 Feb 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1852283)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like the Busch series, where a part time driver leads early on.

Last edited by Speedworx; 26 Feb 2007 at 20:54.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 02:44 (Ref:1852501)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
We shall see after the first 4 races. I have mixed emotions on him racing the full season. I would like to see mark give it a whirl if he continues to lead after the first 4 races However I also want to see Regan get behind the wheel. Regan almost raced for us 4 or 5 years ago and he used to come to the garage and help my son work on the race car. He is one heck of a good young guy.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1852734)   #11
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
So... after Fontana Mark Martin leads the championship... what chance a second car so he can run the whole season??
It would be a 4th car. They already run Sterling and Joe as well as Mark.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1852758)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4th car - sterling marlin, joe nemechek, mark martin & regan smith - is that right

cant remember, did regan smith run well in the busch or nextel race at fontana?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1852824)   #13
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
4th car - sterling marlin, joe nemechek, mark martin & regan smith - is that right

He ran very well and came in 9th.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1853101)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sorry, I meant to say 'extra car'

Why the gomick?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1853360)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's lip. I wouldn't take that Craig.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1853367)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport.com
Mark Martin has said that he will not switch to a full-time campaign with Ginn Racing this year despite his strong start to the season.

The 48-year-old is leading the Nextel Cup standings after two races with his new team, but the former Roush driver denied that he would consider a full-time campaign if the success continued.

"No," he said when asked if he would stay in the car all year. "I am proud to be here and I am loving this, it is just awesome."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56955
Old 28 Feb 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1853547)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Sorry, I meant to say 'extra car'

Why the gomick?
sorry mate, to me that "smilie" is a "i'm not 100% sure/?" icon - directed at myself, not you
Old 28 Feb 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1853922)   #18
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Yes, he currently runs 3 with Mark and Regan sharing. Regan was entered in the Nextel race at Fontana with "Ginn resorts" as sponser but I believe the entry was withdrawn.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1853953)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
sorry mate, to me that "smilie" is a "i'm not 100% sure/?" icon - directed at myself, not you
No worries, didn't think it was directed at anyone - I just didn't understand the point you were making! Try a next time
Old 1 Mar 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1854590)   #20
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
yeah saw that icon - just know how to type the 'rolleye' icon of by heart