Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Mar 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1565945)   #701
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
There were some in production class back in 2000-2001ish.
Sorry I meant in the touring class. Indeed GR won the BTC-P title in 01, with 4 Foci!!

There were rumours of Ford competing in the top class, maybe with the saloon version of the Focus, but it never happened.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1566167)   #702
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Isn't the Sport Hatch in the STCC this coming season an ex-VX Racing BTCC car as well?
no i dont think so, i dont think its easy to convert btcc spec to s2000 spec
this new story from touringcartimes.com

http://www.kennylovrin.se/tctv2/main...iewnews&id=605

says opel team sweden are building the car themselves
Old 31 Mar 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1566182)   #703
sharpy
Racer

United Kingdom
Newcastle
sharpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
no i dont think so, i dont think its easy to convert btcc spec to s2000 spec
this new story from touringcartimes.com

http://www.kennylovrin.se/tctv2/main...iewnews&id=605

says opel team sweden are building the car themselves

I don't think that it is that difficult, didn't Opel Team Sweden run an ex 888 2002 spec BTCC Astra Coupe for a couple of seasons which was converted into s2000 spec?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1566260)   #704
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I believe the ex-BTCC Opel was never properly S2000-spec, but ran under a dispensation based on being near S2000 performance. Same story with the ex-WSR MGs which ran in Gemany last year.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1566330)   #705
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That would make sense then. I guess I just got it confused with the ex-888 Astra Coupe they had.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1572912)   #706
shadowdancer
Rookie

Greenland
West Midlands
shadowdancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick release from In Front:~

"Team In Front Motorsport are disappointed to announce that their suppliers have let them down and that for the coming weekend (qualifying and the races) at Brands Hatch they will be forced to use an old H pattern gearbox instead of a sequential version.
The complete team are bitterly disappointed and generally feel very let down. Not only is the H pattern gearbox a lot slower changing gear, the clutch and flywheel fitted to the car are designed for a sequential gearbox. This makes Mark Smith’s task even more difficult and is of concern to not only Mark, but the whole team.
Naturally they will be trying as hard as they can despite the problems the old gearbox will cause. Hopefully the correct parts will be available for Mondello and Mark will start to be able to unlock the full potential of the Alfa!"
Old 7 Apr 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1572983)   #707
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be interprated as "The gearbox supplier won't let us have a sequential box until we have paid them before delivery."

Or am I been too cynical?
Old 7 Apr 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1572993)   #708
shadowdancer
Rookie

Greenland
West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Gibleto
Or am I been too cynical?
Yes you are I'm afraid.

The gearbox was collected direct from the manufacturer, no problems or worries. The fitting kit that was "here ready to collect" wasn't ready to collect, in fact it hasn't even made yet!!

Sadly the people claiming to have the parts did not, now In Front have chosen to get the parts from the gearbox manufacturer direct ~ unfortunately there just wasn't time to do this before Brands Hatch.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1573055)   #709
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad you've cleared that up shadowdancer as I must say the cynical side of me reacted to that story.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1573296)   #710
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess its a Bacci dog type gearbox that's in the car which will mean clutch on the way down and just lifting on the trottle slightly to to allow a little "slack" in the drivetrain then banging it into gear and hard on the power. In fact flat our changes are possible if your quick enough although perhaps not in the wet as the car will twitch a bit!

It's a shame for Mark, he won't want to appear behind the pace at the first event of the year (which is down to the car may I add!). You never know what will happen in the races though! I for one will be cheering Mark on!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1573312)   #711
shadowdancer
Rookie

Greenland
West Midlands
I'd never thought it could be seen that way, whoops!

You can understand why In Front are very disapppointed and also why they want fans to know that their problems are not of their own making.

Here's looking forward to a good weekend anyway!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1573331)   #712
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They've already made more progress with the Alfa Romeo 156 than GA did last year
Old 7 Apr 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1573348)   #713
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fairness, no-one was expecting great things this weekend. If Mark just gets his head down and has a solid weekend, we can look forward to improvements for Mondello.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1573352)   #714
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He'd lose so much time with the H-pattern box that his only hope is that less than 10 other cars have trouble-free runs in one of the races. Valuable experience can be gained, but not completely valuable, as he won't be stressing the engine as much as usual. To be honest I wondered if the press release meant what Gibleto thought - these things happen all too often.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1573370)   #715
shadowdancer
Rookie

Greenland
West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
To be honest I wondered if the press release meant what Gibleto thought - these things happen all too often.
As I wrote the release I know what it meant

I can't name names for obvious reasons, nor would I want to anyway but it's certain that had In Front had the mounting kit they'd be running a sequential 'box at Brands.

Suffice it to say that the gearbox manufacturer is bending over backwards to help get the kit ready before Mondello.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1573387)   #716
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's just experience of some supposed BTCC entries in the past several years which I think have made a lot of us very suspicious of team comments.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1573458)   #717
Wilbo
Racer

Then again the BMW E46 (and E90 before anyone jumps in!) are both H pattern and although have a flat shift (don't think Marks will have) we all know what these cars are capable of. One thing must be that he can run 30kgs lighter!!!!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1573514)   #718
shadowdancer
Rookie

Greenland
West Midlands
One of the main problems is that Mark has not done much mileage with the H 'box because the sequential was going in for this weekend.....
An area of concern is buzzing the engine, 3/4/5 are exceptionally close hence the extra caution ~ it's not worth damaging anything before the proper 'box is fitted.
I can understand about entry sceptics but In Front have re-shelled and updated the Alfa and put a good package together showing themselves to be a serious and determined outfit.
Unfortunately I won't be there but hope to get info from them between stages.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1574044)   #719
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck with the Alfa.

But where's everyone else?

b* heck, the BARC ModProds have bigger grids!

I'd say you could amalgamate them with the Track & Race Cars series, but we race clean.......

15 is a bit poor for the country's top saloon car series.

Next weekend at Brands, on the Grand Prix circuit, come along and see a full grid - we have 44 cars entered - our fastest guys lap the Indy circuit with similar times to the BTCC, but on the GP circuit, we can stretch our legs a little more...

Happy days.

Rob.
(yes, I did say FORTY FOUR cars entered - that's an arm full!)
Old 8 Apr 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1574137)   #720
Wilbo
Racer

Well if you put the money up I will enter my BMW Rob!

The reason we have "15" cars is that it is so expensive at this level!!!
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1574175)   #721
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Just to be picky there are 17 cars at Brands and 19 cars registered for the championship.

The Bell BMW and Smith Alfa had transmission troubles today.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1574333)   #722
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
Out of interest, how much funding do you still require?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1574382)   #723
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo

The reason we have "15" cars is that it is so expensive at this level!!!
If you can run your Beemer in BTCC, perhaps they can stretch the rules a little let my Astra in.

There may have been 17 entries, but there were only 15 qualifying.

As you say, it's a tad expensive at this level. Though it's cheaper than the supertourers, but they were much much more spectacular (and faster!) (discount laptimes - tyre technology has moved on dramatically).