Old 9 Jul 2008, 23:45 (Ref:2248329)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT has a car for Edmonton???

http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=...ry_auto_racing

I can understand his reasons for possibly not wanting to do it but he must be getting rather antsy. I think he should drive, what would you do?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2248362)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Walker has a good reputation. If anyone has the engineering talent to make a "one-off" worthwhile, it would be Derrick Walker.

Be a great opportunity for PT to show he is still marketable and still has the goods.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2248447)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
****** !!!!

If he wants to race then race thats all I can say.

This quote annoys me

""I'm a good driver but I'm not a miracle man," he tells the newspaper. "It's taken the Champ Car transition teams weeks and weeks to get up to speed in the new cars. To do it in a couple of days with an entirely new crew and driver certainly wouldn't be easy."

Dude , if your gonna go racing then you need to actually have time in the car, yes your starting from scratch but the point is your STARTING , if its taken the "transitional" drivers weeks then you are behind the 8 ball but you have to START.

Get in , drive it like you stole it and learn something out of it , a more permanent deal may pop up that allows you the time to test and develop the car because of this race.

I'd love to see Tracy in a car , having one of his red hot go's but first he needs to get there so hopefully this deal comes off.

I have read talk of other races such as Surfers involved as well , at least he doesnt have to lern a new track for Edmonton and Surfers , so that is a bonus he must surely look at.

Go get em Paul
Old 10 Jul 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2248517)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only loss from not having Tracy involved so far has been commercial. His performances over the last two years make it clear that he's a shadow of what he was - making silly mistakes on the rare occasions when he is truly fast. I only wish Tagliani had earnt a drive; that way the commercial effort could have gone behind a Canadian driver with a realistic future.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2249718)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a rumor Tagliani will be in the #36 before the year is over.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2250105)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
After reading the article (again), it seems odd to me that PT is coming up with a lot of reasons to not race. After sharing his desire TO race he gets an opportunity (albeit a one-off) and has a hat full of reasons why it won't work out.

I am starting to wonder if the fire has died out a bit with PT. With all the contract crap he has been through and such, and at his age, can't say I am surprised.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2250141)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
After reading the article (again), it seems odd to me that PT is coming up with a lot of reasons to not race. After sharing his desire TO race he gets an opportunity (albeit a one-off) and has a hat full of reasons why it won't work out.

I am starting to wonder if the fire has died out a bit with PT. With all the contract crap he has been through and such, and at his age, can't say I am surprised.
Maybe. I'm sure a part of it too is that he feels jumping into an uncompetitive car at the last minute is not going to do him any favors.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2250196)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I heard there is a question of being paid as well, as he would have to cover his insurance out of his own pocket.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Jul 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2250380)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
I heard there is a question of being paid as well, as he would have to cover his insurance out of his own pocket.

Well, this, as well as mountainstar's comment, would be valid as a concern. I am certainly not saying he should leap in the car with no consideration for what it might "cost" him both financially and professionally - I just feel that being sidelined like he has been it may be that he needs to take a bit of a chance.

Easy for me to say though!
Old 14 Jul 2008, 05:29 (Ref:2250420)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Well, this, as well as mountainstar's comment, would be valid as a concern. I am certainly not saying he should leap in the car with no consideration for what it might "cost" him both financially and professionally - I just feel that being sidelined like he has been it may be that he needs to take a bit of a chance.

Easy for me to say though!
I think there are some potential up and downsides to it. Probably the main thing he needs to decide is if he wants to be an indycar driver or not. If so that answers a lot of it. If not then it's time to stop throwing it up at the ceiling to see what sticks. And set new goals and move on to other series. With his lifestyle/attitude thing he has going drifting/rallying/off road/dakar might be some options for him. Certainly he does have something to offer as a driver.

My own personal approach to motorsport is I'd rather do one good race with good people and in good well prepared equipment than 10 bad ones with sketchy cars and all that.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2250600)   #11
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT set for a Walker ride at Edmonton and hopefully the rest of the season:
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indy...ar_return.html
Old 14 Jul 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2250697)   #12
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
PT set for a Walker ride at Edmonton and hopefully the rest of the season:
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indy...ar_return.html
Old 15 Jul 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2251403)   #13
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69171

Confirmed. Walker/Vision entry sponsored by Subway, although just at Edmonton for the time being.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2251574)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Very nice. I think PT could probably benefit from some low-fat Subway sandwiches.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2251673)   #15
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very happy to finally see Paul Tracy get a chance to drive. Having Paul and Walker is good for the Mergerfication, it shows TG and the IRL helping the little guy when they can.

I was so happy, in fact I forgone my own lunch I brought to work today and went down the block to the Subway Shop (and I do have dislike for Subway). I bought a Sub from Subway and a Monster Energy drink (at the adjoining gas Station) and came back to work and read Paul Tracy articles on the web and ate my Subway sandwich in happyness durring my lunch break.

And I just got done sending a very nice letter to Subway on their website, letting them know how they made a Subway disliker into a Subway fan (for edmonton anyways and possibly more). And that I plan to go to Subway as much as possible as long as Tracy is driving a car with their sponsorship.

Welcome back Walker and Tracy!!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 02:59 (Ref:2251689)   #16
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a bad looking car...Great for the series to get a sponser like this, even if just for one event...hopefully it will extend out for a season or 10...

So Boom...does Monster go with Subway - a good combination???
Old 16 Jul 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2251692)   #17
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope pt does ggod and maybe the deal will included more races and maybe see him and walker return fulltime next year.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2251904)   #18
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Very nice. I think PT could probably benefit from some low-fat Subway sandwiches.
LOL. I don't know though; ever since Tony Stewart began endorsing Subway he has turned into a blimp! Maybe he should endorse Blimpie! (I crack myself up)
Old 16 Jul 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2252273)   #19
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
Not a bad looking car...Great for the series to get a sponser like this, even if just for one event...hopefully it will extend out for a season or 10...

So Boom...does Monster go with Subway - a good combination???
Not too bad at all, I had it again today as well.

And I agree with you that Subway is a good sponsor to have even if it is one race. So I wonder if this one race deal came up because of TG's discussion with Subway for a title sponsor? It is a good way to at least dip your toe in the water I guess. So, If they end up being a Title sponsor, would it start next year? If that is the case, sponsoring Tracy up to then is a good way to break into announcing the title sponsorship. I wonder if they would then sponsor a car along with the title sponsorship. I wouldn't think so but Fed Ex did it for a while.
Anyways, still excited even if it ends up only one race .

Last edited by boom boom; 16 Jul 2008 at 23:52.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2254203)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The only loss from not having Tracy involved so far has been commercial. His performances over the last two years make it clear that he's a shadow of what he was - making silly mistakes on the rare occasions when he is truly fast.
I suspect that most of it is mental - PT's always been a complete headcase. Over the last couple of years he had made comments about not being as good as he was. What kind of an attitude is that? His drop off in performance seemed far too sudden to be purely physical. Some of the flashes of brilliance in recent years has to lead one to believe that again, somewhere in there is a terrific driver.

I also wonder if Forysthe joins the series for '09, would he honour his prior contract with PT?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2255952)   #21
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL needs as many big names as they can get so more fans will be interested. Hopefully they makes this happen.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2256272)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I think the contract has been terminated. If Forsythe comes back it will not be with PT - at least under the terms of the old contract.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 02:05 (Ref:2256298)   #23
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Franck Montagny was still in the frame at Forsythe as of Le Mans, per an interview. However his current ride with AGR in the ALMS implies that there is a chance he could remain in that organization or drive for GF in the ALMS rather than IRL.