Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 20 Jul 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2254200)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forsythe to Join Indycar?

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-notebook//P2/

I found this interesting. We're heard hyperbole from Forsythe in the past, rumours of a 4 car team in Champ Car, etc. The fact that they're considering it is a very good sign and I think will help make the divides go away. Not to mention hopefully they'll be a strong team.

I also have to wonder what this might mean for Cosworth. With different manufacturers potentially interested in joining, perhaps Cosworth might be leveraged? (they were part of discussions)

Thoughts?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2254226)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-notebook//P2/

I found this interesting. We're heard hyperbole from Forsythe in the past, rumours of a 4 car team in Champ Car, etc. The fact that they're considering it is a very good sign and I think will help make the divides go away. Not to mention hopefully they'll be a strong team.

I also have to wonder what this might mean for Cosworth. With different manufacturers potentially interested in joining, perhaps Cosworth might be leveraged? (they were part of discussions)

Thoughts?
I'm positive Cosworth will be bidding for business from manufacturers if they want to join the series.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2254348)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cosworth need some new business, and what beter opportunity is there currently than the IRL?

Of course it would be good to have Forsythe back. Along with NHL and KV they looked like the one ChampCar team with all the right ingredients to be competitive in the IRL. Perhaps they can persuade an established IRL driver with good oval experience to join them?
Old 20 Jul 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2254886)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be great for both the IRL and the ALMS. I have to admit that I thought Forsythe was just being a bitter old man. Glad (hope) to be proven wrong.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jul 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2254966)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only thing is I can't see Forsythe wanting to do this without a top driver and I don't see what top driver he has (unless Paul Tracy still wants to work for him).

It might also just be a case of David Martinez bringing a really big check.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2254978)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AJ Allmendinger?
Old 25 Jul 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2257523)   #7
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am now thinking that Forsythe not coming over right after the merger, was more than just sour grapes. One thought of mine at first was, Ok he is a sore loser, but maybe wants to see how the merger goes and why get in now if they change to new cars in two years anyways.
And now with the news that they are 98% certian about AMLS and the Indycar Series next year, is that Forsythe was posturing to get Paul Tracy to want to get out of his contract so Forsythe doesn't have to pay it out. How many years and how much money did Paul have left on his contract? Is Gerry that cunning?
Anways it would be good to see Forsythe have a team, I just hope Tracy has a ride next year somewhere, because I just don't see him back with Gerry.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2258384)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know I've mentioned this before, but I think many readers of this forum are not in the sportscar umbrella so they may have missed it: Franck Montagny has mentioned still being in the loop at Forsythe for what they have planned in the US, despite his tenure this year at AGR and Peugeot in sports prototypes. If he is not top notch, I don't really know who is.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2258431)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Montagny top-notch on ovals though? That's ultimately the million-dollar question - who would have expected Viso to adapt more impressively than Wilson?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2258578)   #10
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And you are right, that is the million-dollar question. I suppose that other than sourcing from IPS, there is little way to acquire a driver who is a known quantity on ovals. Montagny has proven very adaptable from a car perspective, but oval racing is another game entirely. Perhaps he is best suited to remaining in the ALMS with AGR or Forsythe. I know I would prefer that!