Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Nov 2001, 19:54 (Ref:179892)   #1
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theresa to attend the awards banquet

I caught wind of this today & it surprised me. I figured that she wouldn't be attending. She has avoided the spot light completely.
They say that she & Jr are going to participate in the DE tribute. Garth Brooks will be singing. They also leave hints of some sort of announcement. Wonder whats up with that? Any ideas?
Old 28 Nov 2001, 20:40 (Ref:179912)   #2
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

An announcement? About the #3 perhaps? Will it be retired?
Old 28 Nov 2001, 21:23 (Ref:179928)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

At first I was thinking that She might be turning the reins of DEI over to somebody else... But I felt that wasn't worthy of an announcement at the banquet. Either is Carry getting a Busch ride. Besides we all knew that. It HAS to be something like that. Something that affects ALL of racing...not just team news. Maybe renaming the Daytona 500 like SO many people have suggested.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 23:41 (Ref:179981)   #4
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
Maybe renaming the Daytona 500 like SO many people have suggested.
You mean like "The Dale Earnhardt Memorial 500" or something like that? That would be interesting.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 00:20 (Ref:180006)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Don't know-
That has been suggested on the boards at least a hundred times since Feb. I just don't think that it would be just TEAM news. NASCAR couldn't allow all the teams to do this....although they might consider Theresa "special"
Old 29 Nov 2001, 01:51 (Ref:180022)   #6
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

Budmakesmewiser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Dale Earnhardt Sr was the best ever,but i really doubt that even he would want the Datona 500 changed,as far as Kerry Earnhardt is concerned i don't think that would be of reason to speak about at a tribute,and i don't think there is anybody that Terrisa would hand the business over to,she has already had the business deal taken care of for a while now,Kelly is running it,Terrisa just over sees everything,i don't think she is going to crumble,if anything it would be the retirment of the #3.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:00 (Ref:180041)   #7
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to say. I'm not really surprised that she will be at the Banquet. She grew up around NASCAR, in fact, the daughter of Bud Moore, if I remember correctly, so it has been part of her life, even before she married Dale. I think she will be there to accept some of the tributes in Dale's place, and again, this is her extended family. As to the big announcement about Kerry, there had been much talk about a forthcoming big announcement. During the race weekend in Atlanta, this was one of the big topics around the track, for all of the weekend. It is known to be a major announcement, about a Busch Grand National ride, whether in a DEI, RCR, or some other team's car, remains to be seen, that is about the only missing piece that remains of that puzzle, the sponsorship was said to be quite large. If it is the announcement of the retiring of the number 3, that will be unpresidented, as NASCAR has not ever retired a number, for example, the number 22 remains, to this very day, active, and "Fireball" Roberts was every bit the standard, of his day, that Dale was for the present day. They kept the number 43 active, and if any number deserved to be retired, it was Richard Petty's number 43, when "the King" retired! Childress may have sold the rights, or passed them on to DEI, and possibly Earnhardt Jr, might run the number 3 next year, but I'd immagen that Childress will keep the rights to the number 3, and either run it, on special occasions, like the Winston No Bull race, or choose to just not run it at all. All I have heard, indicates that Teresa will continue, as the owner of the DEI team. She has plenty of people, to help her make the proper business decisions for the team, and from what I've heard, is quite business savy, herself. Will be quite intresting as for forthcoming announcements.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:14 (Ref:180044)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

I have a friend who Covered the Atlanta race. He had a long interview with both of the Earnhardt boys. The Busch deal for Kerry was all but announced then.
I just called & asked him- He told me that it is going to be officially announced tomorrow. So it's not that.

BTW- he also told me that he ran into Steve Park. He looks well enough, but my friend was surprosed at how much his appearence has changed. He doubts if Steve will be back for Daytona & Maybe not at all. He's getting impatient- but my friend told him that there is more to life than racing...(I can't believe I just said that! LOL)
It would be SAD to loose Steve because of such a dumb accident. But the brain has a mind of it's own & is NOT to be messed with.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:35 (Ref:180047)   #9
Lee
Racer

Roselady3,

I'm aquainted with your friend, that covered the Atlanta race. He and I live fairly close, and sometime corrospond, via e-mail. Tim is a good guy. We've been trying to work out a time, to meet for lunch at a close by resturant, but just haven't been able to work our schedules out yet.

The news about Steve Park isn't real good. From some insiders that I know, DEI said that he was very close to death, after the accident. More so than waas covered by the media. Steve is putting up a good fight, trying to make the comeback, but they say that his injuries are much more serious, not unlike the ones suffered by Bobby Allison, and Ernie Irvan. The slurred, slow speech, blurred vision (although moving from double vision, to blurred vision, is a step in the right direction, they say) and balance problems, are very reminissant of Allison's career ending problems. They are saying that they don't think Steve will ever drive again. This is quite sad, hopefully he will recover sufficently to live a normal, but as you say, brain injuries are extreamly serious, and must be treated with much caution.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 07:01 (Ref:180060)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

So you know Tim. He's a great bud of mine. Do you know Jerry too? He covered the race too. Jerry was the one who was talking to Steve. Tim might have too. Don't remember- they both came back from that race so excited & it was during my daughters illness. I was so totally jealous! They both sent me AWESOME pictures.

You should get together with Tim- He's a good one to talk racing with.
A little opinionated....but aren't we all. It don't make him bad at all. He's a real sweetie! (all 6' 6" of him!)

Steves slurred speech, dizziness & blurred vision sounds very strangely familiar. (unfortunatly) I bet he has occular & temporal lobe damage.

Last edited by Roselady3; 29 Nov 2001 at 07:09.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 13:21 (Ref:180161)   #11
Lee
Racer

Yes, we are all somewhat opinionated, but then, we wouldn't be race fans, if we were not. No, I don't know Jerry, only know Tim, because we only live between 10 and 15 miles of each other, and due to this, he e-mailed me, and that's how we started corrosponding. I had planned to meet him at Atlanta, for the spring race, this year, but at the last minute, things didn't work out. I had told him to look for a big guy, around 6 ft 4 in tall, wearing a Marine Corps uniform, (we were suspose to be part of the pre-race show, but at the last moment, Bruton Smith decided that he didn't want us there, long story) he replied, don't worry, I'm bigger than that, you won't have any trouble spotting me! So he's a good 2 inches taller than me.

Anyway, I hope Steve Park recovers. It would be nice to think that he will be able to drive again, but the important thing is that he be able to live a normal life. There are other avenues to pursue a racing career, if he can't drive again. I seen to recall a driver, from up in his part of the country, with a similar racing background, this guy was a rapidly rising star, in the NASCAR Featherlite Modified Series, that many had pegged for greatness, but he had a serious accident, that ended his driving career. He started working on race cars, and eventually became a crew chief, and finally a team owner, and hasn't done too bad. His name, Ray Evernham.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 16:56 (Ref:180242)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

What is it with all you southern boys? You are all huge! What did your mamma's feed ya when you were growing up?
Let's put it this way- My head would be a elbow rest for ya'all.LOL.

I really don't know if Steve has had any mechanical training. I'm sure that he's caught on to some of it as he went along. He's young enough, I suppose he could still get a proper training IF that's the way he wants to go.

If his problem is basically occular- they might be able to do surgery to correct after a 6-8 month recovery. Sounds like it is more though.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 17:34 (Ref:180256)   #13
Lee
Racer

What did our Mom's feed us? Just good ol Southern home country cooking. Things like fried chicken, homemade biscuts, fresh homegrown vegetables, grits, cornbread, blackeyed peas and hamhocks, greens, e.g. collards, turnips, mustard, kale. Good home cooking, that "sticks to your ribs!" Course, a daily 100 push-ups, lifting weights, calistinics, and a 5 mile run don't hurt me either. Keeps me at a healthy fightin weight of 235 lbs, with 11% body fat. Not too bad for someone that's 48 years old.

Just hard to say, brain injuries are very unpredictible, and uncertain. I just hope he's ok, hope he doesn't suffer long term effects from this.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 18:16 (Ref:180274)   #14
Roselady3
Veteran

Yeah I know all about that! He could actually recover & think everything is fine & a few years later have severe problems just out of the blue.

I'm just hoping that those boys are all being MUCH more careful with those steering wheels. I was visiting Daytona Beach when that race happened. I caught a bit of it on the radio...they said he was fine. When I got home & watched the tape- It certainly didn't look like he was fine!

Must be those Collard Greens, Kale & Mustard greens- I certainly didn't eat any of that- OR grits! (YUCK!)
Actually I'm the baby of 4 six footers. Then came me- all but 5' 2" tall. I had to be pretty darn feisty to defend myself amongst them meanie tall ones! I guess my mamma used up all her tall stuff before she got to me. Small & mighty is my line!
Old 29 Nov 2001, 20:55 (Ref:180344)   #15
Lee
Racer

Hey, as they say, good things, and big things, come in small packages!
Old 29 Nov 2001, 22:15 (Ref:180379)   #16
Roselady3
Veteran

You are assuming alot!
You are assuming that I'm nice....Heh Heh. (or good)
You just haven't seen the boxing gloves yet! LOL
Now remember I like Tony & Kevin- The BAD BOYS!
& Jr- a potential BAD BOY.
(so I've had to use them 'ol boxing gloves alot this year! *G*)

Last edited by Roselady3; 29 Nov 2001 at 22:17.
Old 29 Nov 2001, 23:44 (Ref:180406)   #17
Lee
Racer

Old 29 Nov 2001, 23:46 (Ref:180407)   #18
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(This is the second thread that has been hijacked by/for Steve Park this month - we really should start his own! )
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

The news about Steve Park isn't real good. ...
It really doesn't sound good at all Lee. Despite Steve's optimism, I can't see him returning soon either. When DEI signed Kenny Wallace for next year, that wasn't a good sign for Steve's health (despite what the press releases said).
Old 30 Nov 2001, 00:11 (Ref:180414)   #19
Lee
Racer

Emfa,

Very sadly, I think your assement is correct about Steve. I know Kenny will do a great job, and I'm glad that he got a break, that he has been deserving for years, but I wish it could have come about under different circumstances.
Old 30 Nov 2001, 16:55 (Ref:180596)   #20
Roselady3
Veteran

This isn't in the thread description....but what the heck we've moved it from Theresa- to Steve ----& why not?? now to Kenny.

I like Kenny. Not so much for racing ability (that has yet to be proved in good equiptment) but for his personality. I think that he's the most likeable one of the Wallaces. He is very funny & entertaining to listen to. If he can't make it in racing- He'd be a good replacement for Golly Wally.

OK- Back to the topic!
Don't forget the banquet! The thing I want to hear the most?
WHAT is TONY going to say?