Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:39 (Ref:321901)   #1
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari hearing outcome!

Million dollar fine for Ferrari

No points deducted for Austrian GP antics

Ferrari has got away a fine of one million dollars after appearing in front of the FIA world council to explain its action at the Austrian GP.

(Autosport)
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:44 (Ref:321905)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

So bringing the sport into disrepute is a monetary thing and not a sporting thing. Interesting.

BTW. I don't think team orders are wrong it was just the way this was done. An easy let off if you think they actually did do something wrong which the FIA apparently did.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:44 (Ref:321906)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Ferrari hearing outcome!

a million bucks added into FIA's coffer
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:44 (Ref:321907)   #4
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the official statement is on FIA.com

they have to pay 50% immediately and 50% is suspended for 1 year.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:47 (Ref:321909)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
$500,000 each for Michael and Ferrari. Interesting how they came up with that.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:50 (Ref:321912)   #6
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A whitewash. They should have got a substantial points deduction. Something to say "This is NOT going to happen again".

Still, it will put the poorer teams off messing around, but it's just peanuts to Ferrari.

FG
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:52 (Ref:321913)   #7
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Here is the official FIA press release:

http://www.fia.com/PRESSE/F1-A/2002/26-06-2002.pdf
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:55 (Ref:321915)   #8
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A pretty pathetic effort (the press release) by the FIA IMO.

FG
Old 26 Jun 2002, 09:56 (Ref:321917)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting:

Quote:
From FIA official Press release:

The WMSC deplored the manner in which team orders were given and executed at the Austrian Grand Prix. Nevertheless the Council finds it impossible to sanction the two drivers, because they were both contractually bound to execute orders given by the team.

The Council also recognised the long-standing and traditional right of a team to decree the finishing order of its drivers in what it believes to be the best interest of its attempt to win both world championships.

In the circumstances, the Council decided; with some reluctance; that it could take no action over the team orders given by Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro at the Austrian Grand Prix.
PS: Rubens is included in the list of the guys who gotta pay too....

PPS: Max Press Conference at 15:00 CET

Last edited by Red; 26 Jun 2002 at 09:58.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:00 (Ref:321918)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe FIA stands for 'Ferrari Internal Affairs' afterall!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:00 (Ref:321919)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joke, a complete Joke, they should have been fined a lot more.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:01 (Ref:321920)   #12
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A total cop out IMO, if the FIA wanted to make sure it didn't happen again there should have been points deducted (from the team at least).

Last edited by TwoSheds; 26 Jun 2002 at 10:01.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:01 (Ref:321921)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Andrew, other than not liking the outcome, can you argument your statement?

Last edited by Red; 26 Jun 2002 at 10:02.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:05 (Ref:321923)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh.

I suppose says to the world: The FIA didn't like it (a lot, $1m worth of a lot), but hey they didn't do anything wrong.

I don't know what to think really. I think I was hoping for either nothing or a points deduction (even though I don't think they should have had a deduction). Not a fine.

Hmmmm. I'm still not sure what to think.

At least it told Ferrari that what they did was pants.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:08 (Ref:321925)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
points deducted for what? for winning? for the team orders? for giving the cup to Ruben?

did they break any rules? i think not!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:11 (Ref:321928)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The fine was just for the podium stuff. Was that really worth $1m?

And the FIA said that the team orders were disgraceful, but they are allowed.

Pretty much what, I think, most here thought. 10-10ths for world motorsport governing body?
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:11 (Ref:321929)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
$1 million is a lot. But I believe that: "Michael Schumacher took the trophy for first place from the Austrian Chancellor, did not acknowledge him," is worthy....
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:11 (Ref:321930)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably bringing the sport into disrepute, thats breaking a law, why can't everyone see that.

The fine is a joke, a complete joke. F1 must be the laughing stock of the world, sport? Nah that died ages ago.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:12 (Ref:321931)   #19
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$1 million isn't very much when you consider the team budgets. They probably spend more money on catering each weekend...
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:13 (Ref:321932)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whenever it is Michael or Ferrari, the FIA are soft on penalties...look at the barge board thing or Michael vs. JV in 97!
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:14 (Ref:321933)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do think it's a bit strange that the FIA couldn't do anything (then fined them) because the drivers are contractually bound to accept team orders.

I recall the hoo ha that the then new Superlicence caused in (i think) 1981. This new superlicence bound thye drivers to the FISA as it was then. So if the FIA wrote ther contracts (superlicences) why make a fuss about Austria? Apparently the statements say that the drivers did nothing wrong. Ergo the team did nothing wrong to instruct its drivers, so what's the fine for?

Yours truly
Confused of Kazakhstan.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:16 (Ref:321934)   #22
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's only a half million the other half is suspended for a year pending a similar (podium) offence.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:21 (Ref:321938)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Jukebox, as I say in my post here and on other threads, I agree with you. Points deduction, for what? They didn't do anything wrong on the track . Left a bad taste, but it wasn't wrong.

I just thought it should happen to make life around here more interesting.

Peter, the fine is for the silliness, embarrassment and backtracking on the podium. "Michael take your trophy like a man" - JV! I suppose this means Michael has been fined for not being a man.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Jun 2002 at 10:28.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:44 (Ref:321941)   #24
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the whole teamorderthingy is totally irrelevant to this hearing. The FIA will not and can not fine Ferrari over their teamorders, nor over the way they were carried out. So that is one clear statement and out off the way.

One million dollars over the podiumceremonie is a bit harsh in my view. With this decision the FIA is neglecting the situation at that time. The situation was that not Ross Brawn, not Jean Todt, not Rubens Barrichello, but solely Michael Schumacher, minutes after finishing a GP. had to answer publically and personally to a hostile crowd.

Schumacher had effectively no room to manouvre, and could do nothing else than to give that crowd what they wanted, the moral victory for Rubens. So he did it, and arguably with the best of motives.

Its obvious that the FIA was emberassed by the blunt way in which Ferrari decided the outcome of the Austrian GP at managementlevel. It´s a consequence and illustration in the state in which F1 is today. Certainly the FIA finds itself, as responsible for the quality of F1 racing, cornered by Ferrari´s tactics and the way they are carried out.

There would be no problem whatsoever if Ferrari would be less open about it. The fact that Ferrari is able to be so blunt about it, is a matter of regulation and therefor a matter of the FIA, not of Ferrari.
Old 26 Jun 2002, 10:45 (Ref:321942)   #25
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, the fine is for messing up the podiumceremony.