Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Nov 2002, 22:39 (Ref:424866)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why didn't Minardi keep Davidson for the last 3 races of 2002?

It just seemed a bit odd to me, but does anyone know why? Is it because BAR only gave Davidson permission to do 2 races for Minardi and no more? Or was it some other reason? Just wondering.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 22:41 (Ref:424868)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't quote me on this, because I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but I was under the impression it was something to do with the KL sponsorship of the team until the end of the season.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 00:20 (Ref:424904)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Alex was given a short rest to get his confidence back from testing duties.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 00:48 (Ref:424917)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because Yoong was on contract, and Stoddart had to keep the sponsors happy.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 06:12 (Ref:424987)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And wouldn't BAR only release him for 2 races anyway?
Old 9 Nov 2002, 09:15 (Ref:425016)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All of the above are pretty right.

When Yoong came back (and raced on tracks he knew), he didn't do too bad.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 11:00 (Ref:425036)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously Minardi had an obligation to the sponsors of his team. Who after all had provided a lot of the resources that got Minardi on the grid.

However I also think that Paul Stoddart showed a bit of loyalty to one of his drivers. A remarkable characteristic in modern F1. He has on numerous occasions described his team and it's drivers as a family.

Another example of this is how he let Webber go to Jaguar, but if that would have fallen through there was a place for him at Minardi.
Old 9 Nov 2002, 21:08 (Ref:425285)   #8
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
More Stoddart’s in F1 wouldn’t be so bad!
Old 10 Nov 2002, 01:00 (Ref:425408)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think your right Adam. PS has been very good about Yoong in the press. Many others would have been slamming him and doing everything they could to get rid of him. I have no doubt Alex could have been thrown out on a performace clause, but Paul gave him a chance.

I personally think what Stoddart says about his team and drivers in the press, and his two seater promotion days, is exactly what F1 needs. The bigger teams could learn something from this.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 01:02 (Ref:425411)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PLUS which I didn't think Davidson set the world on fire. Good. Fine. Bloody great for a beginner. But in absolute terms no faster than Yoong.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 14:53 (Ref:425739)   #11
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
PLUS which I didn't think Davidson set the world on fire. Good. Fine. Bloody great for a beginner. But in absolute terms no faster than Yoong.
Six tenths off Webber on the long track of Spa. Sometimes quicker than Sato in the race. I think he was, in absolute terms, quite a lot quicker than Yoong. Were you paying any attention?

Loyalty to bad paydrivers wont get your team anywhere. Well, in 2003 he'll be up agains all factory- or semifactoryteams. So he (PS that is) will be seriously outgunned. Lets hope he clears the field before Minardi is totally bust.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 16:43 (Ref:425784)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yoong really showed himself in quite a positive light in teh last 3 races. In those, on tracks he knew, he was nearly as close to Webber as Davidson had been, but Ant didn't know the car or the track at Hungaroring.

Not sure if Ant is int he running for the 2003 drive, I think BAR probably want to keep him as part of their test squad, and of course this Villeneuve to CART rumour just won't die so maybe a race seat will open up.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 17:04 (Ref:425801)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Loyalty to bad paydrivers wont get your team anywhere.
While I agree with this, such loyalty may get you somewhere with that pay driver's sponsors. This may well be the case - the sponsors are still there and there will, probably, be no Yooung in the race seat next year...

And as far as human characteristics go, I find it hard to fault.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 17:51 (Ref:425817)   #14
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno. The way he attacked Ron Dennis when he asked for clarification on the fundings Minardi received, was pretty embarassing, claiming it was all personal. I don't really think McLaren sees any threat in Minardi, nor Stoddart. Fact of the matter is, he is an amateur in this business. Claiming to be representing the humanside of things in -for instance- saying he wouldn't hinder Mark Webber in finding a team higher up the grid. Totally overlooking the fact he doesn't own Webber, Flavio does. Same goes for Fernando. He was lucky that the car from 2001 was neatly designed by one of the best in the business, driven by one of the biggest talents in the business. It goes downhill from there. In 2002 he was lucky to rely on the obvious talent of one Mark Webber, but even he couldn't make Minardi shine other than a rather lucky one off. Surely Minardi is the 'loveable' team in F1, but not because of the opportunist Stoddart really is. Giancarlo Minardi should be receiving credit for making the team what it once was. Today it is nothing more than a hobby for a wealthy man who starts to moan and complain everytime reality reminds him he is the smallest player in this sport. He got in in 2001, he tried to sell it again in 2002. In 2003 he will be up against all factory- and semifactory-teams. How long will he really enjoy his hobby?
Old 10 Nov 2002, 18:02 (Ref:425821)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There is a lot of truth in what you say. While his loyalty is a plus ,IMO, he can come across as someone who can moan with the best of them!

Having said all that I did really enjoy Thunder in the Park this year (despite the F3000 race . And he should be applauded for providing events for the fans like this. Other teams do this too (Ferrari and McClaren through Mercedes' Stars and Cars events), but it is impressive that such a small team is capable to do this.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 09:28 (Ref:430394)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was because of KL sponsorship.

No one at BAT/BAR or Honda or Bridgestone would have stood in the way of Anthony driving for anyone if he had asked for a release.

Yes...Yoong was better in the last three races. But Ant had a closer average to Webber than Yoong had achieved up until then (stats available if you want them)

But this seasons Minardi rarely found it's way off of the the last row of the grid...even in Webber's hands...last year Alonso could place the PS02 on grid 17 or so as I recall.

Minardi just lacked finance to go testing.

People in the past (and recently) have been wrong to underestimate Anthony, they still do it...their loss (and ours) in my book! Lets hope B&H have vision like Lauda to go for youth not mere experience.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 09:39 (Ref:430401)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hey Rennen!! What's in the future for Ant next year? Any chance of a race here and there?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 16:21 (Ref:433288)   #18
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi VB. He's just come back from Macau, where he had his first ever race in a Tin-Top!
(See his web site www.anthonydavidson.info for the story)

Well he's got the job of test driver still lined up with BAR for next year...It's such a waste of a great racer though! (As Ant showed in Macau) Pity Dave Richards doesn't know it!

Honda seem to like Anthony and find him interesting opportunities...but withdrawing from CART was a blow (Ants a road racer not a 'roundy-round' IRL slipstream pilot) and withdrawing their motors from Jordan means Sato has got to be their favourite to take JVs seat in 2004.

Lifes all about timing and being in the right place at the right time (and having a PR company working for you). Loyalty and talent alone mean little it seems.

Lets just hope Jordan find a nice sponsor (or three) that knows about Anthony's true ability or taken note of his career!
Old 20 Nov 2002, 16:27 (Ref:433293)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RENNEN....id really love to see last years Carlin F3 line up become team mates again in F1....shame EJ doesnt sell Fisi's contract to another team.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 23:20 (Ref:435060)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Sato's future is safe with Honda. I wish Ant's was!

Yeah they would have made great teammates...again!
They both have different strengths and learned off each other..and pushed each other to greater heights at Carlin.