Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:50 (Ref:487289)   #1
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Inquest Hearing

For those not aware, the inquest hearing into the fatal crash at the 2000 Goodwood Festival of Speed which involved the death of marshal Andrew Carpenter is being held in Chichester next week, on the 5th/6th/7th.

I know a number of the marshals and officials that have been, like me, summonsed to attend, and hopefully we can see if lessons can and have been learnt by the cause of the crash.

I will let everyone know of anything significant after the inquest is over.

Steve
Old 27 Jan 2003, 14:00 (Ref:487346)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Obviously this is going to be both stressful and painful for you Steve. Hope it goes as well as can be expected and best wishes to you and Jackie.

EP

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 27 Jan 2003 at 14:02.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 16:10 (Ref:487435)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
same as the pumpkin said...

take it easy Steve.

Al
Old 28 Jan 2003, 14:15 (Ref:488356)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good Luck, Steve.

I read your website diary, and it was truly an inspiration of what can be done with the right attitude. I'm sure that attitude will help you through this difficult experience, but you have the support and the best wishes of al marshals everywhere to fall back on.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 15:18 (Ref:488396)   #5
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I echo EPW's thoughts too.

Martyn
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:37 (Ref:488516)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Good Luck, Steve.

I read your website diary, and it was truly an inspiration of what can be done with the right attitude. I'm sure that attitude will help you through this difficult experience, but you have the support and the best wishes of al marshals everywhere to fall back on.
I swear that Woolley is monitoring my pc!!!! Those were the exact words I was typing before my system crashed!! :confused: :confused:

Best wishes to you both as I don't expect it to be much fun.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 17:05 (Ref:489625)   #7
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, good luck Steve. I can only echo the comments above. We are all 100% behind you. Having been to a double inquest re the Kart GP at Brands, it is a harrowing experience at best. John Nicol was a tower of strength for me at the time. Once again, good luck Steve. There but for the grace of the Great Chief Marshal in the sky...
Old 3 Feb 2003, 12:10 (Ref:494750)   #8
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
To all those who've written here, emailed me at home, or have persoanlly spoken to me during the past week,

thank you all so much for your support, it is really appreciated at this time.

Steve
Old 3 Feb 2003, 16:07 (Ref:494998)   #9
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say "any time!" but this has to be a ONE OFF!
Old 4 Feb 2003, 07:57 (Ref:495793)   #10
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Hope it's not too late to add my best wishes to Steve and other marshals who are having to testify. I hope the ordeal is over quickly and handled sensitively.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 08:10 (Ref:495799)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yeh good luck
Old 4 Feb 2003, 12:32 (Ref:495963)   #12
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck Steve - having read your website I must add that I have the utmost respect for you and your wife.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 18:00 (Ref:499751)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Now back from the inquest.

Verdict given is accidental death for the driver, as no medical or mechanical reason could be found to suggest otherwise.

BUT accidental death was also the verdict for marshal Andy Carpenter, and this I do not feel happy with.

Basically, in testimony it was established that during the safety check held on the Thursday before the event, the MSA safety office missed the fact that the gantry was there at all, and therefore didn't question its placement or its strength, but issued the track licence anyway. Therefore when we marshals used the track on the subsequent days, we believed it to be of use as a protective aid, which was not its intended purpose.

The bottom line is if the safety officer had identified it being there, he had the choice of adding additional protection in front of the structure, OR having it removed before the event.

And if it had been removed, we would not have even considered standing that side of the track.

I know I'm losing my chance of a knighthood by criticising our governing body, but basically it highlights if you see ANYTHING you don't like it's position or question its ability to do the job intended of it, including barriers, then its very much up to you to speak up to your observer and demand he takes it up with officials above him.

If we don't then things will slip back to the way they were and Andy's death will not have taught us anything.

Yes, I am angry as I type this, as I believe an accident that was avoidable and therefore shouldn't have happened has been allowed to occur and resulted in the needless death of a marshal.

I am now going to take the weekend off, to allow myself time to gather any more thoughts before writing anything further.

Steve