Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1633768)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mario Andretti to Run LMP2 with Acura?

This was posted on the ALMS Board this morning, as wwas reported in a French publication

Here's the article: http://www.lemans.maville.com/actu/2...599&idCLA=8438

A basic google translation in that post states that Yves Courage said that Mario Andretti is involved in this project.

Mario has never expressed interest in being a team owner or on the business side of a race team in the past, and has said so in interviews about Michael's involvement in Andretti Green Racing...

If any of you read French, could you give us more insight as to exactly what this article says???

I would've figured Michael to run an LMP2 program instead of Mario...

I also can't find this news elsewhere from a second source.

Your thoughts?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1633778)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It is my opinion that this is Andretti Green Racing. I'm not sure how Mario's name got involved. So, one of three let out of the bag. Does that suggest the other two teams will be in Lola's? Two Courage's for AGR, and one Lola for each of the other teams?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1633788)   #3
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if an of the Andretti's plan to race this car. The only crown jewel in autoracing Mario has not won is Lemans. Michael Andretti still likes to race and the ALMS has proven to be a good place for retired open wheel racers to wind up in. Mario/Michael effor would be good.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1633792)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I think about this more, I can't help but think that Fogelhund is correct on this one...either Yves Courage was misquoted or he misspoke with the name.

AGR has a stable of four good drivers with skills in road racing in Franchitti, Kanaan, Herta and Marco Andretti....

Michael also has had a good relationship with Honda, and has the support staff in place to run such an effort.

Mario would be starting from scratch

Michael might drive....but when there was a story circulating last year about Mario, Michael and Marco in a DP at Daytona, Michael said "Not gonna happen" and he added that he does not want his Dad to drive after he almost ended up in the 2nd Turn grandstands at Indy in a test run...

That accident was a fluke, and certainly wasn't Mario's fault, but the Andretti family doesn't want him to race anymore...they figured he got a good break to walk away from a bad accident unhurt and don't want to take another chance with him like that.

At least that was their stance in all post-accident interviews on this subject.

Old 14 Jun 2006, 00:54 (Ref:1633951)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Tim, do you think Michael would refuse to be involved if Mario wanted to drive? Some part of Mario has to be calling to him to do a couple of races with his son and grandson--the one last fling alure. Sebring and Le Mans?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1633988)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
He did refuse a possible DP run at Daytona last winter with Mario and Marco....

Literally refused it....said it will never happen....and Michael was quoted in more than one source about it...

Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1634078)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is difficult to see what is actually going on here. I guess it would all depend on what "involved" meant.

Overall though we are seeing more and more interest from established Amercian teams in Sporstcar races of different series and different continents.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1634135)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I for one hope that Mario doesn't drive again. Man, I'd have loved to see him win Le Mans, but the chance went in 95 and that's 11 years ago. Too late now for Mario.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1634180)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Mariantic are reporting that AGR who run the car or cars ..... LC75's . Dont know about anybody else ?

Last edited by The Badger; 14 Jun 2006 at 10:21.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1634226)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Mariantic are reporting that AGR who run the car or cars ..... LC75's . Dont know about anybody else ?
I suspect that AGR will run two LC75's, and that two other current Open Wheel teams will run one Lola/Acura each.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1634262)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I for one hope that Mario doesn't drive again. Man, I'd have loved to see him win Le Mans, but the chance went in 95 and that's 11 years ago. Too late now for Mario.
I too agree that he perhaps doesn't have the pace to win it, however if he wants to do it and enjoys it then I hope he comes back. There is a chance of a Graham Hill about it (I mean racing off the pace, not winning the big three), but he kept going because he loved it (albeit with no break).
Old 14 Jun 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1634334)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I suspect that AGR will run two LC75's, and that two other current Open Wheel teams will run one Lola/Acura each.
I thought , it was talk of 2 teams . Now it seems a 2 car team for AGR and 2 1 car teams . Is this correct ???
Old 14 Jun 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1634362)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I thought , it was talk of 2 teams . Now it seems a 2 car team for AGR and 2 1 car teams . Is this correct ???
It was originally 2-3 teams, 3-4 cars. I believe it is the 3 teams/4 cars. Twenty teams applied to be "Acura" teams, so the remaining teams will be of similar quality to AGR.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1634363)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That seems to be the direction. That's what Honda said back at the initial press release - two or three teams, three or four cars.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1658217)   #15
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Andretti Green Racing are set to be unveiled as the team that will run Honda's Acura branded LMP2 cars in next year's American Le Mans Series.
source: autosport.com
Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1658221)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Robert Clarke let the cat out of the bag this past weekend, after requiring ALMS staff to say nothing until the official announcement scheduled for this coming Friday according to Murphy the Bear. News of the teams is all over the place now. It's Fernandez with two, AGR with two, and Highcroft (Duncan Dayton and Danny Sullivan) with one. Who chooses what chassis is unannounced. Fernandez brings Lowe's sponsorship.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1658283)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Exciting days. There are still more details to come, but it is nice to hear something for certain.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1658288)   #18
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the alms can get anywhere near the LMS prototype numbers, it would be wonderful. love the fight up front...

pit
Old 17 Jul 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1658322)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper
if the alms can get anywhere near the LMS prototype numbers, it would be wonderful. love the fight up front...

pit
The American Le Mans Series has alls kinds of potential for next year. What has to be avoided is their typical offseason stumble, where a whole bunch of unexpected bad news comes out.

At Nurburgring, LMS has LMP1 - 9 LMP2 - 11 -> for 20 cars.

If everything that has been planned to happen, does, then those numbers will be exceeded, but they never quite seem to do they? What we can likely be comfortable in saying, is that there should be growth from this years entry numbers, with some large upside potential.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1658984)   #20
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
It's Fernandez with two, AGR with two, and Highcroft (Duncan Dayton and Danny Sullivan) with one. Who chooses what chassis is unannounced.
According to Autoweek AGR (1 or 2 cars) and Highcroft will likely race Courages and Fernandez Lolas (1 car?).

There will be a press conference on Thursday before the Portland ALMS race.

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60717020/1001
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1658988)   #21
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
It makes more sense that Highcroft runs a Lola chassis.
Quote:
Acura ALMS teams seem to be; Fenandez 2 Lolas, Andretti Green 2 Courages, Highcroft 1 Lola
source: mariantic.co.uk

Last edited by gwyllion; 18 Jul 2006 at 10:17.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1659190)   #22
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Honda's Acura branded LMP2 cars"

So these will be semi- works (or works backed) LMP2 Courages/ Lola chassis' with Honda powerplants?

It is good news, but will Honda/ Acura want to rebrand the chassis they use for marketing reasons (amoungst others)?

So - the next question - Is this another manufacturer that could head to LA Sarthe next year?
Old 18 Jul 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1659241)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last I heard, it would be an LMP2 program with off the shelf customer chassis, followed by an LMP1 program (2008) with a purpose built chassis for the ALMS and Le Mans.

I guess we may see some link up with Honda Europe/Japan in time.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1659306)   #24
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is information including the general way in which the program is structured and the chassis involved.

http://murphythebear.com/blog/
Old 19 Jul 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1659896)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I kind of felt it would be run that way. Since Acura doesn't really have a "car" to use in the series, there's nothing to link the racecar to the showroom.

So basically its like the F1/CART engine deals of days gone by. HPD will do all the R&D, servicing and such of the engines. Acura marketing will give them "seed" money to buy the chassis of their choosing. Going with Courage and Lola as they are the benchmarks and the Radical up to that point had gone largely unseen and untested when im sure the idea first came up.

Courage has a standing relationship with the Andretties as Im sure most of you remember Micheal, Mario and Jeff almost WON the dayum thing a few years ago at Le Mans in a Courage modified WSC Porsche.

Dayton going with the Lola shouldn't be a shock either, as they are running one now and having been involved with Lola before, it shouldn't be shocking to anybody.

I honestly think this gives a power advantage to Acura and their ablity for the teams to run with the Penske ran Porsche outfit.

Who's left out in the cold is Intersport. If they want to be seriously considered for a championship next year, they should be looking at becoming more competitive THIS season. As much as I like Liz to stay in the car and Clint as well, it might be time for Clint to relagate himself to running the team's day to day operations as he has done before and drive occasionally in longer events or just run the team and let Liz drive in longer events, where she'll match up better to most team's 3rd drivers.

I could see John Field and a paid driver in the car for the shorter events, maybe starting soon as this season, if not at Sebring next year. The AER powered Lola is quick enough when driven by drivers that can push it, as seen by the RML car at Le Mans and in the LMS several times last season.

That said, with increasing RS' coming next season, LMP2 should have at least 6-7 teams running LMP2 with MOST of them coming to Le Mans next year, which should make LMP2 VERY interesting come June of '07.