Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Sep 2014, 04:26 (Ref:3450898)   #226
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
We need bridgestone! I thought Toyota would try them, but Pascal Vasselon used to work at Michelin anyway.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3450906)   #227
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're at it, Continental should bring it to Europe instead of letting themselves rot in America.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3450936)   #228
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
While we're at it, Continental should bring it to Europe instead of letting themselves rot in America.
I don't think they care of competition, being spec tire is easier as they (or rather Hoosier) can do whatever they like and it gives as much of a publicity

Pirelli used to be very much involved in tire war competition too but are now pretty much just spec everywhere... not that their tires were ever up to the standards of others
Old 7 Sep 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3451053)   #229
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but what about 2017... Will Continental Tires just stick with the status-quo when those Daytona Prototypes phased out in favor of LMP2, with or without manufacturer-specific bodywork?

In fact, Continental should improve their tires so that LMP2 cars can have a fighting chance against DPs.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3451057)   #230
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think they care who wins and how (and issues can all be blamed on BoP til 17/18 just as they seem to be doing now anyway...) as long as they keep the title sponsorship with gigantic letters and occasionally someone on TV gives PR-speeches like "These Continental Tires just go so great with our Corvette DP/P2/whatever, I will be definitely buying them for my hatchback"

If IMSA/NASCAR truly cared about international relevance they wouldn't have force fed Conti-Hoosiers to P2s this year either, so of course Conti will be doing the same exact thing by the time DPs are phased out... their deal has been extended

Last edited by Deleted; 7 Sep 2014 at 16:49.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3451527)   #231
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pilbeam project is still going. Didn't expect to hear from that car again, so it was a nice surprise. I always like some variety.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/asian...king-progress/
Old 9 Sep 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3451538)   #232
Deleted
Veteran

Interesting yes but believe when I see it... the garage shots we've seen of that project have been like from very cheap tuner workshop downtown Detroit. Also someone actually wants to complete in AsLMS?

There are only three more chances to take it to LM anyway before it becomes obsolete due to open top ban, ie 2015/2016/grandfathered-2017

Regardless, I do want to see it because it reminds me of the lovely yet rejected P2 Norma and it's Minardi-esque ambitions
Old 9 Sep 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3451539)   #233
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's hoping. And hopefully that 3 hour race at Killarney goes ahead too. The planned 3 hour race at Midrand in July was cancelled due to lack of entries.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3451541)   #234
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I don't think they care who wins and how (and issues can all be blamed on BoP til 17/18 just as they seem to be doing now anyway...) as long as they keep the title sponsorship with gigantic letters and occasionally someone on TV gives PR-speeches like "These Continental Tires just go so great with our Corvette DP/P2/whatever, I will be definitely buying them for my hatchback"

If IMSA/NASCAR truly cared about international relevance they wouldn't have force fed Conti-Hoosiers to P2s this year either, so of course Conti will be doing the same exact thing by the time DPs are phased out... their deal has been extended
It's got nothing to do with Conti-Hoosier. Conti has said on MANY occasions they could make a softer P2 spec tire if requested but the series said NO. They specifically have forced the P2 cars to use a tire designed for DP.

Blame IMSA, not Conti.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3451542)   #235
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, but what about 2017... Will Continental Tires just stick with the status-quo when those Daytona Prototypes phased out in favor of LMP2, with or without manufacturer-specific bodywork?

In fact, Continental should improve their tires so that LMP2 cars can have a fighting chance against DPs.
If IMSA will let them, they said they could make a softer P2 tire. The question is...will IMSA let them, not if Continental wants to.

In an article some months back they vented rather publicly about the PR frustration they were experiencing as a result of being blamed for P2 underperformance with the DP spec tire. They've requested to make a better tire for P2 cars and IMSA said NO.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3451555)   #236
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Interesting yes but believe when I see it... the garage shots we've seen of that project have been like from very cheap tuner workshop downtown Detroit. Also someone actually wants to complete in AsLMS?

There are only three more chances to take it to LM anyway before it becomes obsolete due to open top ban, ie 2015/2016/grandfathered-2017

Regardless, I do want to see it because it reminds me of the lovely yet rejected P2 Norma and it's Minardi-esque ambitions
I hope it races, but I just find it difficult to believe it will. Why buy a new car that’s got three years to race when you can buy something new that will met the 2017-specs and have a longer productive life? And if you want to buy an open-topped P2 that’s only good through 2017, why not just buy a used Oreca etc. from one one of the teams moving to a new closed-top P2?
Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3451567)   #237
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I hope it races, but I just find it difficult to believe it will. Why buy a new car that’s got three years to race when you can buy something new that will met the 2017-specs and have a longer productive life? And if you want to buy an open-topped P2 that’s only good through 2017, why not just buy a used Oreca etc. from one one of the teams moving to a new closed-top P2?
I don't know, but if Zoo Racing wants to do it then let them The original plan seemed to have been to offer it to other customers but doubt there is much interest now.

Let's just say that while the whole project doesn't exactly have a lot of confidence around it, I trust more in Pillbeam than seeing Ian Dawson ever fielding the Radical again
Old 10 Sep 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3451874)   #238
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Zytek name change

Following the sale of Zytek Automotive to Continental.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/zyt...on-technology/
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3451904)   #239
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Following the sale of Zytek Automotive to Continental.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/zyt...on-technology/
If this helps the P2 project see the light of day they can call it anything they want. But Gibson doesn't sound nearly as cool as Zytek.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3451907)   #240
MagVanisher
Veteran

No kidding, Zytek was bought by Continental, as in the tire company?

Oh please, I have a feeling that it won't go well...
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3451908)   #241
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Sure, go ahead and judge one of the world's leading automotive suppliers by the actions of one of tiny sub division...
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3451912)   #242
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Sure, go ahead and judge one of the world's leading automotive suppliers by the actions of one of tiny sub division...
I certainly won't ever buy Conti tires as a result of their crappiness in TUSC. Falken or Michelin, or even Pirelli for me.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3451947)   #243
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Continental AG, as in the HUGE German-based conglomerate that produces all kinds of things for cars, not just tires, so not Continental Tires USA.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3452834)   #244
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continental AG owned 50% of Zytek Automotive for a number of years and now they bought the remaining 50%.
Zytek Engineering, which was co-owned by Ginetta/Team LNT a few years back, is now renamed to Gibson Technology.
I guess they want to avoid confusion regarding the Zytek brand name and avoid it getting a second Dunlop brand
Old 13 Sep 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3452836)   #245
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Z11SN will rename to Les Paul 59.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3452886)   #246
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Z11SN will rename to Les Paul 59.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3452906)   #247
MagVanisher
Veteran

Nah, call it the Flying V!
Old 19 Sep 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3454849)   #248
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...sday-notebook/
It seems that the SMP LMP2 is legit after all, they are hoping to announce the project by next month.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3455469)   #249
Deleted
Veteran

So another coupe rising from the ashes. Pilbeam P2 for Zoo Racing should be the last open top LMP2 ever - if it ever materializes

Meanwhile, looks like if mr Gentilozzi is still thinking of WEC P2 next year with possibly open top Oreca (maybe we could finally see if his RSR team can handle non-spec series better than the utter failure that was the Jag) but he has apparently expressed his concern over new coupes being overpowered. I wonder if ACO will start fiddling with the P2 chassis BoP for the first time in years particularly if the new Oak starts dominating too much.
Old 21 Sep 2014, 04:29 (Ref:3456201)   #250
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So another coupe rising from the ashes. Pilbeam P2 for Zoo Racing should be the last open top LMP2 ever - if it ever materializes

Meanwhile, looks like if mr Gentilozzi is still thinking of WEC P2 next year with possibly open top Oreca (maybe we could finally see if his RSR team can handle non-spec series better than the utter failure that was the Jag) but he has apparently expressed his concern over new coupes being overpowered. I wonder if ACO will start fiddling with the P2 chassis BoP for the first time in years particularly if the new Oak starts dominating too much.
Well one thing for sure is that the reliability of Ligier is far from satisfying, so basically if ACO wants to fiddle with them, it has to wait until JS P2 actually winning something. That's the only positive thing we can rest on.