Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Dec 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2596457)   #1
honkit
Rookie

honkit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HMP Series

Guys,
I am a fustrated Englishman living in Southern California. The fustration comes from being involved since child hood with racing back in the UK and now that i live in the US, i struggle to find an outlet for my racing.
Occasionally i partake in the odd race in Europe, mainly thanks to my brother and his very rapid (at least in his hands) A40 in the Top Hat Masters's series.
The "scene" over here is very fragmented and regionalized and such does not seem to offer events similar to the six hours at Spa or Goodwood. When you do find a good series, the racing is an after thought to the "show". Strictly no wheel banging!
Anyway, i am now getting wind of a new series over here called HMP series (www.hmpseries.com). The series is the brian child of Bobby Rahal who has obviously enjoyed his time at historic events in the UK. The series does seem to be heavy on the social side but other than that it looks promising. The only major draw back would be the classes that are proposed look expensive. But obviously it is early days and anything could happen.
So my question is: has anyone heard anything about the series? If so, will the racing be serious like Spa/Goodwood or a glorified procession a la Laguna Seca.
I look forward to some interesting responses,
Thanks,
Charlie
Fustrated in San Diego!
Old 9 Dec 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2596763)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Charlie, first off sorry never heard of that new series till you mentioned it.

Is the HSR West no good for you? I went to one of their meetings at California Speedway couple of years ago. Only there on practice day but most seemed to be pretty much 'on it'.

I raced with the main HSR guys at Daytona back in '07. They seemed ok too. Whenever I got close to them they all certainly raced for position so I wouldn't describe it as merely a show. However, I did find that many of them were straightline guys and couldn't make the turns for toffee, they do love their horsepower though.

I wouldn't knock the lack of wheelbanging too much.

Cheers

BTW - Waht car you running?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Dec 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2596920)   #3
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand there are 3 meetings listed, all East Coast; Barber facility (Alabama), Mt Tremblant, Quebec, and can't remember the 3rd,
Old 9 Dec 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2596985)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Watkins Glen-Philip,It's on the web site.

Bobby Rahal is super bloke and proper driver who has been involved with European Historics since end of 90's.

Managed to win a few important races and championships before that!
Old 10 Dec 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2597162)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, agreed, John. Bobby Rahal is a proper bloke, proper driver and a real enthusiast, so this could be really good news for the historic racing scene in the US. I'm sure there was a short news piece about this in Autosport recently, but I can't find it at the moment.