Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Nov 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2574014)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
with rope seals aplenty most old bangers sit in a puddle of it.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2574027)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The GP was always going to be a full house and all the boys told me highlight was Arrowsmith.
Aerosmith?

One of my colleagues went just to see Beyonce. She's a girl and so is Beyonce. Go figure.

Quote:
Idea of attending GP will ware off and then it will be same as all the rest of the sporting events held in the area.Not many people and solely an advertising medium to promote the name to rest of world.
Yes, I suspect you are correct which is why people ask "why?"

Quote:
Its always handy busing those schoolkids into Bahrain GP to ensure it looks as though people have turned up.Arrive 10 min before start and leave 5 mins after its finished.
Yeah go to any other event and they don't bother. Story here is they are looking to bus in some labourers for the "big" football match.

Quote:
The only thing you will fill is a UAE Football match if it means something but even that turns into a bit of a mess when they lose.
Lol. We got caught on the corniche here after one match. Saw a Toyota Land cruiser blow up because the driver revved the nuts off it, saw another guy get thrown out of the back of a Landcruiser then the car was abandoned as the occupants chased him down the road.

Quote:
Another thing is those NASCAR type barriers are close to track in some areas,

They were still messing with detailed agreements three weeks ago .
Don't know about family friendly hotels in Abu Dhabi,can only think of Novatel ,Center Hotel in Hamdan St.The rest Middle Eastern 5/7 star hotels at stupid rates.Pubs good and dozens of restaurants.Lots of roadworks and building sites .Its an adventure into the newly rich territories if you go.

Take plenty of money.
It is costly but the family friendly bit was more to do with the facilities rather than cost.

Again I do hope the event is a success for all concerned.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2574076)   #53
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Something else to be discussed at Big Dave's bash Chris.

So....did ya find out if you are needed?...lol
Old 2 Nov 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2574084)   #54
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I hope the Masters PR club are noting my positive comments about the event!
Want to get a tick from Ron and Chris.
Terrance for Shepherd?
Sorry Im late to this.....Ive changed my mind about you!
Old 2 Nov 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2574103)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's not necessary as I will continue to be a non controversial,non temperamental, pleasant ,lovely, cuddly fellow who has his own ideas about the world in general and usually out of step with rest of the people.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2574151)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It's not necessary as I will continue to be a non controversial,non temperamental, pleasant ,lovely, cuddly fellow who has his own ideas about the world in general and usually out of step with rest of the people.
John we would not you change in any way. Be a bit dull on here if you did.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2574199)   #57
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

I agree.....dont change John ...it would take the fun out of it
Old 2 Nov 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2574272)   #58
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose it's my oldfashioned way of thinking but shouldn't old cars race on old tracks? Always seems odd to see Historics/Classics racing at Rockingham, and I think the magic of Spa is a lot to do with it's sense of history.

Having said that, if I had a car eligible to race there and I could afford to go, I may think differently!
Old 2 Nov 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2574344)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I suppose it's my oldfashioned way of thinking but shouldn't old cars race on old tracks? Always seems odd to see Historics/Classics racing at Rockingham, and I think the magic of Spa is a lot to do with it's sense of history.

Having said that, if I had a car eligible to race there and I could afford to go, I may think differently!
Yes, I know what you mean. Abu Dhabi not helped by all those ultra-modern buildings literally over the track- at least at Portimao last month it was up in the hills and the new hotels / apartments etc aren't yet built!

Still, I'd give Abu Dhabi a go- anyone want to lend me a T70?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2574358)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

Leopard,Spot's ?????????
Old 2 Nov 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2574361)   #61
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Our intention is to enter two cars and see what happens.Masters,HGPA,Legends are all involved.
It will more expensive than people think as Hotels are expensive.

We have a house in Kalafia City not far from track so life's not that bad.
It would be possible to get a cheap package to Dubai and stay in one of Jumeirah Beach Hotels.Could get from there to track in virtually same time as Abu Dhabi City which is where you want to be if you stay in Abu Dhabi rather than one of the outlying hotels.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2574432)   #62
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So the Historic Race Meeting is same weekend as the European Golf Tour Event which is across the road.One of the biggest of early season.They will use all spare rooms up at Emirates Palace hotel (the most expensive in world)so we will just put up with the others
How about that for timing.
Not many spectators at either event.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2574698)   #63
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
There is a Premier Inn in Dubai now, not too far from the Autodrome. Im just back from the AD GP and my local guys reckon it's a 1-1.5 hour drive from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.

The barriers are close to the edge in many places but it tends to be in the lower speed corners from what I saw. They had a local race of Chevvy V8's (looked like Monaro's to me) which struggled for grip around the marina section where I was placed.

Despite the GP allegedly being sold out at 50,000 there were quite a few empty grand stand seats. The people with boats, and very large wallets, tended to turn up late afternoon and party away until the F1's came out.

I hope that's some help to those who haven't been there?
Old 3 Nov 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2574707)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

We're used to seeing green stuff either side of the black bit, particularly in northern Europe, old Cortinas or 60's kit cars sliding around on a 50m wide strip of polished tarmac with 25 GOld plated Maybachs in the background would lower the tone Peter . . .even if we put some neon underlighting on to try and blend in!
Old 3 Nov 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2574794)   #65
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It will be better to stay in Abu Dhabi which is not as much of a building site as Dubai.
Center Novatel on Expedia best bet.
Track about 40 mins from Abu Dhabi City and 1 hr 15 mins from Jumeirah which are closest Dubai Hotels
Old 3 Nov 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2574795)   #66
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Its actually new RR at Emirates Palace
Old 3 Nov 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2574807)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It will be better to stay in Abu Dhabi which is not as much of a building site as Dubai.
Center Novatel on Expedia best bet.
Track about 40 mins from Abu Dhabi City and 1 hr 15 mins from Jumeirah which are closest Dubai Hotels
I can recommend the Jumeira Beach hotel.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2574813)   #68
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

But its in Dubai!In the middle of a building site that has ground to a halt.

It's the Abu Dhabi Historics not there poor cousins.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2574830)   #69
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There are twenty hotels in Abu Dhabi as good or better than Jumeirah Beach and its big brother next door at the same rate and Abu Dhabi's the place to be.
Dubai only comes into play when the cheaper Hotels in Abu Dhabi are full and you are on a budget.

The free plane tickets are with Etihad and into Abu Dhabi.

The Dubai Abu Dhabi road is not the place to be in January with the possible fog and Sand Storm problems.Considered one of the most dangerous roads in UAE.It could be down to about 10 degrees at that time of year.
No one told anyone about that possibility did they!
Old 3 Nov 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2574857)   #70
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
John,

I'll take your word for it but I can tell you the Jumeira Beach is a great hotel. And, furthermore I wasn't reccomending it for this particular trip. Just wandering down memory lane as it were.

Yes, it can get cold in this part of the world and indeed I recall two years ago having to buy some heaters. This year wasn't that bad.

Quote:
It could be down to about 10 degrees at that time of year.
No one told anyone about that possibility did they!
Er yes, you did at the beginning of the thread.

I was thinking about driving down via Saudi but due to an early start on the Sunday I'll need to fly and rent a car.

*looks up fly/drive deals*.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2575017)   #71
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the deals for accommodation on Yas. Dubai only 60 mins away as well. Shame about the clash with the golf, but I don't think the racing would get a big crowd anyway.

Hope to see lots of cars in January.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2575021)   #72
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Peter

Fly to Abu Dhabi and get one of local Airport Hotels and use Taxi.As you know its easiest and cheapest way to travel.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2575295)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yeah,

That's what I do when I go to Bahrain.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2575515)   #74
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Crossing Saudi road boarder is always interesting .Probably a lot easier 40 years ago when Qatar attached to Abu Dhabi and Saudis hadn't pinched the bit between.
See most of Hotels already full that week.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2577780)   #75
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

If anyone wants to go suggest they get papers in today as its decision week .

May be oversubscribed but it is Abu Dhabi so anything could happen.