Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2588822)   #51
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
What about Macau that's just fine, it's only 1 and a bit lanes wide in some parts isn't it?
Having seen the highlights on In Pit Lane last night that was a recipe for carnage, red flags in a few races including one with roughly half the grid wiped out...
Old 25 Nov 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2588825)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

... courtesy of Mr Bright's Twitter....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Nov 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2588861)   #53
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ch7 just reported that 130,000 seat have being booked for the weekend, as well as the Life Savers on hand to help the public, and a TV deal to the USA
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 25 Nov 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2588873)   #54
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

... courtesy of Mr Tanders Twit Pic....

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 25 Nov 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2588933)   #55
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, it looks like tander and bright went for a romantic hand-in-hand stroll together...
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2588960)   #56
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Wow, it looks like tander and bright went for a romantic hand-in-hand stroll together...
...whilst Twitting

Track looks very narrow in places from those shots. Hopefully it wont be a procession.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2588964)   #57
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Perhaps their mates and they did a track walk...

Bright...Into First...
Tander... Braaaappp...
Bright... Second...
Tander...Braaaappp...crackle...pop...
Bright...Third...
Bright...Fourth...
Bright...Back to third...hit brakes...
Tander...screeech...
Bright...blah...blah...blah...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 25 Nov 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2589036)   #58
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
here...

Quote:
Just a quick update on how we're going with the new Holdens for next season; we've almost completed one car and the second has just gone on the jig.

We're well down the track with development and will definitely have two cars ready to go for the first test day in early February.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 22:58 (Ref:2589279)   #59
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
here...

Quote:
V8 circus animals set to rock and race Sydney
Quote:
1. After an eight-year battle, get permission to turn Sydney's Olympic Park into a V8 Supercars street circuit.

2. Get the State Government to cough up $30 million to support the race for five years.

3. Get Cold Chisel to re-form and play at the opening race weekend.

4. Aim to have more than 150,000 attend over the three days and pre-sell (as of yesterday) 138,000 tickets.

5. Sign a deal with cable channel Speed so that 79 million subscribers in North America can see the Telstra 500 race in Sydney.

Old 25 Nov 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2589281)   #60
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Ch7 just reported that 130,000 seat have being booked for the weekend, as well as the Life Savers on hand to help the public, and a TV deal to the USA
This would mean that they have sold 85000 tickets in the 2 weeks since Shane Howard's press conference at Homebush after only selling 44000 in the previous 5 months (around 20000 of which were sold in the first 2 weeks of sale).These figures are beyond rubbery and will not stand up to any scrutiny by non News Ltd/Channel 7 media.I think the organisers are trying to panic people into buying tickets by putting out stuff about how big the ticket sales are.A good example of this is the big headline on the event web site saying that Silver Stand tickets have limited availability.Given that there were only about 600 Silver Stand seats to begin with this is hardly an achievment.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2589306)   #61
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
This would mean that they have sold 85000 tickets in the 2 weeks since Shane Howard's press conference at Homebush after only selling 44000 in the previous 5 months (around 20000 of which were sold in the first 2 weeks of sale).These figures are beyond rubbery and will not stand up to any scrutiny by non News Ltd/Channel 7 media.I think the organisers are trying to panic people into buying tickets by putting out stuff about how big the ticket sales are.A good example of this is the big headline on the event web site saying that Silver Stand tickets have limited availability.Given that there were only about 600 Silver Stand seats to begin with this is hardly an achievment.
I'd say that it is more a reflection of Shane Howard not thinking through the likely questions and not having a correct number to hand. The 44,000 would have included three day passes etc so as crowd count is accumulated over the days of the event, a three day pass counts effectively as three tickets towards the total crowd number for the event.

Quite common also for sporting event tickets to have a major sales spike in the lead up to the event.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 01:25 (Ref:2589339)   #62
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
I would be interested to see how many 'seats' there actually are?

Can't be anything over 10,000 looking at the size of the stands. Each stand on back of the circuit (between corners 4 & 5) would not hold anything more than 100 people.

The Daily Telegraph in yesterdays paper suggested organisers were expecting a crowd of 200,000.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 01:38 (Ref:2589341)   #63
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I'd say that it is more a reflection of Shane Howard not thinking through the likely questions and not having a correct number to hand. The 44,000 would have included three day passes etc so as crowd count is accumulated over the days of the event, a three day pass counts effectively as three tickets towards the total crowd number for the event.

Quite common also for sporting event tickets to have a major sales spike in the lead up to the event.
At the time when 44000 tickets had been sold 18000 of those were 3 day tickets.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2589377)   #64
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
At the time when 44000 tickets had been sold 18000 of those were 3 day tickets.
So that could effectively be 80,000 tickets, and from that report they have sold about 50,000 in the last couple of weeks (some of which could be for all 3 days).
Old 26 Nov 2009, 05:00 (Ref:2589379)   #65
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
So that could effectively be 80,000 tickets, and from that report they have sold about 50,000 in the last couple of weeks (some of which could be for all 3 days).
Which could be as little as 16,000 tickets if they were all 3 day tickets.

I know that I only bought my tickets in the last few weeks. Since I wasn't going corporate this year, I decided to wait until after pay day to get the tickets (no use them sitting at home for months while I pay interest on my credit card).

But with all this talk of ticket sales, I wonder if there is anyone who could give us the total 3 day crowds for events at Eastern Creek. Like the VIP Grand Finale's and the 2nd to last round? Indeed what was the Crowd figure for the NRMA Grand Finale last year at Oran Park?

Either way this has been promoted better then the last EC event. Which has such a Cherry position in the Sydney Sporting Calender, it was the NRL pre-season weekend (no trials allowed one week before the season) and just after the Charity shield. The AFL wasn't even close to kicking off. It had the Sydney sporting landscape to itself and failed to capitalise.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2589416)   #66
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInTheStands View Post
Either way this has been promoted better then the last EC event.
Isn't amazing what you can do with promotion when you have a $35 million head start.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2589422)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thats funny seeing how EC also had bout 30 million and nearly 20 years head start
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2589426)   #68
D.R.T.
Veteran

I am intruiged how any promoter at Eastern Creek at any stage over the last 20 years was handed $35 million to put on a race?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2589431)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no they were handed a 30 million plus purpose built race track for a peppercorn rent.

same thing. V8Sa had to build a track and facilties over 5 years with that 35 millions
Old 26 Nov 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2589433)   #70
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Isn't amazing what you can do with promotion when you have a $35 million head start.
Hello D.R.T,

Are you referring here to the $30M that VESA got out of the Government for this event? Where is the other $5 coming from?
Old 26 Nov 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2589448)   #71
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInTheStands View Post
Hello D.R.T,

Are you referring here to the $30M that VESA got out of the Government for this event? Where is the other $5 coming from?
Tony put in the overnight WPS short term money generating cash machine and made a quick 5 million courtesy of his mate Craig...allegedly...

Old 26 Nov 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2589622)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
no they were handed a 30 million plus purpose built race track for a peppercorn rent.
I would be interested to know how one can be 'handed' a facility while paying rent for it? Sounds a contradiction does it not?

Peppercorn rent at a little under $700,000.00 is an interesting perspective.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2589972)   #73
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
here...

Quote:
After walking the track this week, Davison urged fans not to prejudge the Olympic Park circuit as boring because of the way it looks on paper.

''It's going to be mad,'' he said. ''For a driver, it's going to be extremely challenging. It's going to be very quick and I think there's going to be lots of passing opportunities. I was quite blown away by how much character the track's got.''

Old 27 Nov 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2589989)   #74
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
Further to that D.R.T are you suggesting that the entire $30 Million (Over 6 years) that the State Government is pitching in is going to advertising and Advertising this year?

So that would mean that the costs of all the Public Transport (the Olympic Class Event Buses and Trains) were not being met by the government? Are you saying this is the first place the budget will blow out, the Major event transport? The Government payed nothing for the stands, or the road works, or putting the circuit up, their entire 6 year budget was blown on this one event's advertising?

I mean I know they have had Banner Flags on the City's light polls for a few weeks but I didn't realise they were about 10 grand per pole. No wonder the state is in so much debt, what with those banners changing every few weeks. Did Wicked get a $30 Million grant to put their banners flags up? What about the QVB, or the Wallabies, The Socceroos, or the NRL Grand Final? all of which had these Banner Flags.

I don't know how close anyone is to the ARDC on here, I really don't and hey I would love to see the V8's race at EC and Homebush if I am being Honest, I would love for EC to get more than $90m in funding to knock down Corporate hill, along with moving the Pits to the outside of the track and putting in much more seating along the straight and the turns leading on to it. Turing EC into a track that everyone can see a very large portion of the racing from.

I did find the Numbers for the 2007 Round at EC via a 2008 press release on V8X. It was less than 30,000 people, now if that is not true, I would love to see it the actual numbers. But I have a feeling that the 2008 race last year would have been even less than that, considering I though the EC crowd for the 2007 race was the biggest I had ever seen for the V8Supercars and that for 2008, the Marquees on the roof of the Pit Building were not there, indeed that is where I watched the Sundays Racing. the Same place I have watch a lot of racing at EC. But in 2007 those areas were use for Corporate Marquees. IIRC the corporate Marquees had been encroaching on that area since 2003 or so.

If the less than 30,000 is correct for 2007, then even on Sundays ticket sales at the time of the Stateline article, this event will beat out EC, in its first year?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 06:59 (Ref:2590602)   #75
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I was quite blown away by how much character the track's got.
This has got to be as ridiculous as Mark Skaife's constant badgering about the amazing rise and fall of the circuit

Mark, when the event was confirmed this time last year it was discussed that the government would provide $30 million for 2009 plus $2-3 million each year for 5 years to assist with the event set up. It was also said that the Government would not be putting a cap on their input as it wasn't neccessary.

Then Ian McDonald announced a few weeks ago that the event would be capped however the terms of this deal can not be proven due to a confidentiality agreement with V8SA. So forgive me for not taking him at his word.