Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Nov 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3332086)   #1
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycar needs more European talents

It is not a secret that I personally rate Sam Bird highly and a switch to Indycar would be sensational for him but also for the series! I believe it needs more European hooks and besides his speed and liking of close walls racing (Macau, Monaco, Singapore to name a few...), he is English and a great ambassador for the series and sponsors.

But broader speaking, wouldn't just more European pilots join make the series grow in terms of drivers' standards as well as fan base?

I am thinking of Filipi, Daly and even Buemi or Alguersarri?
Old 16 Nov 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3332089)   #2
gaaaazFR
Rookie

gaaaazFR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
It is not a secret that I personally rate Sam Bird highly and a switch to Indycar would be sensational for him but also for the series! I believe it needs more European hooks and besides his speed and liking of close walls racing (Macau, Monaco, Singapore to name a few...), he is English and a great ambassador for the series and sponsors.

But broader speaking, wouldn't just more European pilots join make the series grow in terms of drivers' standards as well as fan base?

I am thinking of Filipi, Daly and even Buemi or Alguersarri?
Totally agree, European - "F1 level" talents... Like Di Resta, who could fill in Dario's seat apparently?
Old 16 Nov 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3332099)   #3
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is not a really win for IndyCar to have driver, who had no drives in Europe like Alguersuari.

It would be nice to have really good American drivers like Hornish jr. or someone like him.

And the greatest win would be to have drivers like Alonso, the NASCAR champ or someone like them.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3332102)   #4
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Indycar field is already full of European and International talent. In fact it's hard to find an American driver in the series.

What they need are some F1 caliber drivers. Indycar in the 90's, at the height of their series, had Mario and Michael Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mansell a year after his F1 Championship, Senna even talked about going to Indycar after his F1 career.

I'd love to see Di Resta get Franchitti's seat, he would be my favorite for sure.

I'd like to see Indycar return to Surfer's Paradise Australia, Montreal Canada's F1 circuit, and Road America in the U.S.. And why don't we have an Indycar race at COTA in Texas yet?!?! Seriously, THAT IS WHAT WE NEED!!!

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 16 Nov 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3332136)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I would like a German driver being successful enough in IndyCars so the series could make a comeback to Eurospeedway Lausitz, however, I do not agree that it needs more European drivers.

If IndyLights winner Sage Karam gets a drive for next season, and JR Hildebrand, too, IndyCar is making good progress with getting more American driving talent. If not, well, European drivers should not be a priority.

A few years ago, a lot of young Brazilian drivers used to run IndyCars. But now that Tony Kanaan and Helio are getting older, there does not seem to be anyone interested in becoming the next Brazilian IndyCar star. Bia Figuereido only seems to get part time rides these days and Rafael Matos seems to have moved back to Brazil. Those two should have full-time rides.

I'd say it's about time for the series to get its Australian race back whilst there still are 3 top drivers from down under competing in it.

And no, I don't think many F1 fans could be lured over the pond because of Buemi or Alguersuari. And regarding Bird: how much of an increase in IndyCar fandom happened when Mike Conway joined the series?

In the past, the arrival of champions and winners from European based series were good for IndyCar. Who could be the Fittipaldis and Mansells of today? Well, due to Michael Schumacher having scored so many championships 10 years ago, there just aren't enough candidates who might want to come to IndyCar and bring their fanbase with them. At least, Jean Alesi tried, with that hapless Lotus engine. Hakkinen, Coulthard and Frentzen went to DTM instead. Now, Montoya will be back, at least.

Service Central putting Jacques Villeneuve in a 2nd Sarah Fisher Racing car for the 2011 Indy 500 would have been amazing, though. But like so many European style drivers, Jacques is not interested.

Last edited by Yannick; 16 Nov 2013 at 14:07.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3332180)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Indycar has enough Europeans. It needs more North Americans if anything, maybe more outside of the family dynasties, that can engage with the American public. I know some of you guys are upset that your favourite drivers aren't in F1 but Indycar isn't necessarily there to act as dumping ground for them.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3332192)   #7
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Since last year, I've been thinking Ryan Hunter-Reay would be a perfect choice for a F1-team.

Hinchcliffe too!
Old 16 Nov 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3332245)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
The Indycar field is already full of European and International talent. In fact it's hard to find an American driver in the series.
Andretti was 5th in 2013, Hunter-Reay 7th (and champion last year), Kimball 9th, Newgarden 14th. 3 wins out of 19, 13 podiums out of 57.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3333002)   #9
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Andretti was 5th in 2013, Hunter-Reay 7th (and champion last year), Kimball 9th, Newgarden 14th. 3 wins out of 19, 13 podiums out of 57.
Exactly! Plenty of talented brazilians too so talented European should be on the list as it is also about talent not just US hopefuls!! Filippi like Bird should join next year as both are exciting in different ways and both would bring charismatic vibes which are so missing at this point in the series!

Rounds in Europe, even if costly, should be re-instated! No doubt about it. Donnington? Imola? Assen? Zolder? Why not Jerez even?

Last edited by ace007; 18 Nov 2013 at 11:20.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3333192)   #10
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Exactly!

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 18 Nov 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3333253)   #11
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are two sides to every coin.

1 - The more talent the better
2 - The more Americans, the more popular

The two can help each other, but by helping the other cause they hamper themselves...

Personally, even though I'm British, Indycar has to survive...

Last edited by Biscuits In A Red Bull; 18 Nov 2013 at 19:50.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3334359)   #12
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
When Indy type racing had more drivers coming in from the short tracks, and road racing (when that was truly big in the U.S.) it brought along their fans to see how they did in Indy car, the 500 particularly.

With out a U.S. base (which means people paying attention to more than just the 500), what ever Indy car racing is called at the moment, it may not be DOA, but it is in the emergency room.

The U.S. driver is what George supposedly was going to bring back, but he then made rules that crapped on his own theory.

Nothing has really changed.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3334406)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Exactly! Plenty of talented brazilians too so talented European should be on the list as it is also about talent not just US hopefuls!! Filippi like Bird should join next year as both are exciting in different ways and both would bring charismatic vibes which are so missing at this point in the series!
For every Filippi or Bird there is a young North or South American driver that is as much worthy of a drive as either of the 2 you named.

Quote:
Rounds in Europe, even if costly, should be re-instated! No doubt about it. Donnington? Imola? Assen? Zolder? Why not Jerez even?
Let them first make the series viable on their own continent and expand to ours later.
As much as I'd like to see them over here, I think they'd better stay away for the next few years.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3334765)   #14
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
For every Filippi or Bird there is a young North or South American driver that is as much worthy of a drive as either of the 2 you named.
Name one pls
Old 21 Nov 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3334917)   #15
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Name one pls
Is four ok?
Sage Karam, Gabby Chaves, Esteban Guerrieri, Gustavo Yacaman.

All four of these guys finished in the top three of IndyCars feeder series in 2012/2013.

All deserve IndyCar rides more than some guy who's never even seen an oval before, surely?
Old 21 Nov 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3334931)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Is four ok?
Sage Karam, Gabby Chaves, Esteban Guerrieri, Gustavo Yacaman.

All four of these guys finished in the top three of IndyCars feeder series in 2012/2013.

All deserve IndyCar rides more than some guy who's never even seen an oval before, surely?
Guerrieri could conceivably become an established name driver in Indycars should he get a drive, he's that good.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3334970)   #17
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with other posts, need more American drivers, also, need to open up chasis, engines, tracks, and a few O/S races like CART/Champ Car series.
Curent series is bland, fan base is diminishing , the alternate to F1 was once popular and world class drivers looked at it, but now, nah, why would you leave a popular series, for something that is going down hill ?

Compare the F1 2014 calender to IRL, it looks as if IRL has given up, F1 and NAscar win 2014 or is IRL foxing with better plans for 2015?

IT does need something injected , hopefully sooner rather than later.
Do miss the the CArt /ChampCar series
Old 21 Nov 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3334975)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@

Last edited by fomoco; 21 Nov 2013 at 22:55. Reason: double post argh
Old 21 Nov 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3334979)   #19
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What Indy Car needs is more drivers and teams like this whose world is not small.

The car he used is one he drove in pavement races and he is a champion sprint car driver.

http://www.bybillwood.com/tag/worlds...st-sprint-car/
Old 22 Nov 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3334995)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I agree with other posts, need more American drivers, also, need to open up chasis, engines, tracks, and a few O/S races like CART/Champ Car series.
Curent series is bland, fan base is diminishing , the alternate to F1 was once popular and world class drivers looked at it, but now, nah, why would you leave a popular series, for something that is going down hill ?

Compare the F1 2014 calender to IRL, it looks as if IRL has given up, F1 and NAscar win 2014 or is IRL foxing with better plans for 2015?

IT does need something injected , hopefully sooner rather than later.
Do miss the the CArt /ChampCar series
It's fun to all talk about Indycar needing multichassis formula and I certainly don't disagree with that but we're not shouldered with the responsibility to fundraise and it needs an injection of cash to get the ball rolling in relation to the multichassis formula that we all want and there just frankly isn't that cash around.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 02:31 (Ref:3335031)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's fun to all talk about Indycar needing multichassis formula and I certainly don't disagree with that but we're not shouldered with the responsibility to fundraise and it needs an injection of cash to get the ball rolling in relation to the multichassis formula that we all want and there just frankly isn't that cash around.
Considering the super high markup on parts and that these cars have only a certain lifespan, I really do not believe it will cost much more opening up the series to competition and having a multi chassis formula.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3335112)   #22
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only IndyCar already has plenty of European drivers, but also most of them are British. It would add a bit of variety if there were more drivers from other European countries Germany, Poland or Russia.

I don't know how to feel about the fact that IndyCar has mostly non-American drivers. On one hand, it's great that IndyCar is still significant enough that race car drivers from other continents are willing to be in it. On the other hand, the dominance of the foreign drivers is a sign that the North American talent doesn't care about IndyCar. Most of kid athletes aim for the big sports, like football, basketball, and baseball. The ones who care about motorsports probably think about NASCAR. Very few aspire to be in IndyCar..

Personally, I don't care much about the home country of the driver. It would be fascinating to see someone young, regardless of home country, to appear out of nowhere and suddenly dominate.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3335125)   #23
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think IndyCar needs more european talents, or american talents, or brazilian talents...IndyCar needs talents like all other series...but not because IndyCar has a low rate of talent...it's the opposite: 2013 grid was one of the most competitve ever...it's all about generational turnover, because some of the top drivers are around 40 yo and sooner or later they will retire...like Franchitti today...but there are a lot of good young drivers...europeans and americans...
Old 22 Nov 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3335177)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Considering the super high markup on parts and that these cars have only a certain lifespan, I really do not believe it will cost much more opening up the series to competition and having a multi chassis formula.
The initial injection of cash would be problematic unless Penske broke the habit of a lifetime or someone else put some cash into it, including the costs in breaking of contracts.etc. But, yes, costs would decline and partners [who could sponsor and supply] would converge on the series, be more amenable to long term partnerships that would help bring costs down and stimulate variety over the long run.

The current backslapping arrangement is bringing stagnation and strangulation to this series and that cycle needs to be broken.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3335608)   #25
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post

Personally, I don't care much about the home country of the driver. It would be fascinating to see someone young, regardless of home country, to appear out of nowhere and suddenly dominate.
Give Sam Bird the Ganassi drive!! He is the next Montoya story!