Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Apr 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3527595)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC 'Spring Start' Silverstone 2015

A one-day event, this coming Saturday 18th April 2015. Don't think that it has previously been listed (apologies if it has) but if anyone is interested the link to the relevant VSCC page is below:

http://www.vscc.co.uk/page/events?eventID=917

Also includes FISCAR.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3527634)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have ticket, will be there despite the road closures.
Hopefully the bitter wind of last weekend will have died down a tad.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 11:45 (Ref:3527640)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road closures? Not having been to Silverstone this year is there anything of particular note?
Old 15 Apr 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3527648)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Road closures? Not having been to Silverstone this year is there anything of particular note?
no access off the M40 onto the A43, 18-21st, according to signs I saw last weekend.
Also the A420 Oxford to Swindon has a long detour.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3527653)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Many thanks!
Old 15 Apr 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3527689)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will be there and really looking forward to it. Thanks for the roadworks update - I would have come that way from west London. I will come off at Bicester instead
Old 15 Apr 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3527768)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will be there with camera poised, so if you let me know I'll poise it your way.

If the weather is as nice as it was today at Silverstone it will be very 'sun screen' kind of a day.

Bauble.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 07:02 (Ref:3527859)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep 27 cars for the Abecassis Race, so should be good if they all turn up and survive qually. FISCAR have been allocated garages so hopefully a lot of our entries will be in them; at least I've asked them to! Should be a great meeting all round.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3528594)   #9
brands
Veteran

Lots of lovely cars, both in the paddock and on track.
If there had been less of a chill wind blowing it would have been even more enjoyable.

Good to have a chat with Mr Turner and the Abecassis race did him proud.

Will post a few photos from the meeting later.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 06:26 (Ref:3528797)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, kind remarks, thanks. Lots of great cars in the paddock but such a busy morning that I didn't have time to dwell on them or even snap them. The late arrival of the Grist HWM meant me rushing around to get all the other drivers to sign agreement to allow Matt to join our grid. They will probably regret that since from the back row he managed to come through the pack to win. There were some great drives though. James Cottingham's opening stint was stunning with his Dad's Ferrari, taking the lead from the start and opening it up with loads of visible arm twirling and making the car dance, Tom Walker was mighty early on with his Allard J2R Le Mans (which he calls 'The Shed' due to its fantastic age patina!) to emerge for a while in 2nd place after a fantastic dice for that position with several other cars, Jonathan Abecassis in his Austin Healey was very competitive, as was the always on form Andy Sharp in his DB2. A brilliant second half drive by Chris Ward taking over the Gordini from owner Eddie McGuire was scintillating and took him to 4th, just half a second short of Andy and less than 8 seconds covered the first 4 cars after 30 mins (including a pit stop) of racing. Sadly Charly Willems had to retire his HW Alta Jaguar before the end of the first lap, the second year running that he has brought that wonderful car over from Germany and failed to complete a racing lap, and we also had two Austin Healeys's come together in Brooklands. Those apart, this was fantastic fun with good dicing down the field, and I thank all the competitors for making it so. I was particularly grateful to Justin Kennedy who allowed the famous ex Abecassis DB2 VMF 65 to be raced by Tony Green.

For the record, I had to change all the classes around on the day so, the class structure in the programme and on the results sheets is wrong, so completely forgiveable but I feel that I ought to point out that the fastest laps posted for the Ferrari and Gordini were by the James Cottingham and Chris Ward, not as stated.

Really look forward to some photos, John

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Apr 2015 at 06:42.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 07:47 (Ref:3528808)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder why there were no results sheet available for the Fiscar race, plenty for all other races, but not a single one for the Fiscar?

JT .........................? You naughty boy.

Great race/racing definitely the highlight of the day, plenty of snaps to choose from John. Well done.

Bauble
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3528816)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I rather think I pinched a lot of them, sorry about that, Bob although there were certainly some left in the box at the time. Also sorry we didn't get to chat longer.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3528842)   #13
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Not a great lover of Silverstone but had a good day, many great cars, some decent racing - agree that the Fiscar race was a highlight, well done John. A few sample photos from the races:
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC Spring Start 2015_0424.jpg   VSCC Spring Start 2015_0442.jpg   VSCC Spring Start 2015_0567.jpg  

VSCC Spring Start 2015_0742.jpg   VSCC Spring Start 2015_0808.jpg   VSCC Spring Start 2015_0830.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3528855)   #14
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
John, kind remarks, thanks. Lots of great cars in the paddock but such a busy morning that I didn't have time to dwell on them or even snap them. The late arrival of the Grist HWM meant me rushing around to get all the other drivers to sign agreement to allow Matt to join our grid. They will probably regret that since from the back row he managed to come through the pack to win. There were some great drives though. James Cottingham's opening stint was stunning with his Dad's Ferrari, taking the lead from the start and opening it up with loads of visible arm twirling and making the car dance, Tom Walker was mighty early on with his Allard J2R Le Mans (which he calls 'The Shed' due to its fantastic age patina!) to emerge for a while in 2nd place after a fantastic dice for that position with several other cars, Jonathan Abecassis in his Austin Healey was very competitive, as was the always on form Andy Sharp in his DB2. A brilliant second half drive by Chris Ward taking over the Gordini from owner Eddie McGuire was scintillating and took him to 4th, just half a second short of Andy and less than 8 seconds covered the first 4 cars after 30 mins (including a pit stop) of racing. Sadly Charly Willems had to retire his HW Alta Jaguar before the end of the first lap, the second year running that he has brought that wonderful car over from Germany and failed to complete a racing lap, and we also had two Austin Healeys's come together in Brooklands. Those apart, this was fantastic fun with good dicing down the field, and I thank all the competitors for making it so. I was particularly grateful to Justin Kennedy who allowed the famous ex Abecassis DB2 VMF 65 to be raced by Tony Green.

For the record, I had to change all the classes around on the day so, the class structure in the programme and on the results sheets is wrong, so completely forgiveable but I feel that I ought to point out that the fastest laps posted for the Ferrari and Gordini were by the James Cottingham and Chris Ward, not as stated.

Really look forward to some photos, John
As I was in Race Control I saw very little of the racing but I was glad to see all your efforts had been rewarded after Matt had a good race!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 14:13 (Ref:3528895)   #15
brands
Veteran

A few shots from wandering the paddock:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4800.jpg   IMG_4817.jpg   IMG_4831.jpg  

IMG_4852.jpg   IMG_4857.jpg   IMG_4872.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3528901)   #16
brands
Veteran

A selection from the Abecassis race :
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5561.jpg   IMG_5447.jpg   IMG_5527.jpg  

IMG_5543.jpg   IMG_5705.jpg   IMG_5631.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3528971)   #17
brands
Veteran

and three batchs from some other races:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5005.jpg   IMG_5104.jpg   IMG_5112.jpg  

IMG_5133.jpg   IMG_5136.jpg   IMG_5254.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3528973)   #18
brands
Veteran

batch 2:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5305.jpg   IMG_5320.jpg   IMG_5413.jpg  

IMG_5432.jpg   IMG_5754.jpg   IMG_5759.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3528975)   #19
brands
Veteran

and a final set :
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5765.jpg   IMG_5802.jpg   IMG_5890.jpg  

IMG_5967.jpg   IMG_5994.jpg   IMG_5996.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3528986)   #20
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from yesterday, including Rudolf Ernst's rather grand Stutz Bearcat.

r

Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3529233)   #21
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
re the Stutz Bear Cat

I had a wonderful race in the old girl

one of my most memorable experiences on the track, ever

Rudolf
Old 20 Apr 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3529256)   #22
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great meeting and great photos from Brands and Percy, do either of you by any chance have a photo of car 62 in practice 8/race 11.

It is a dark grey Riley special, much appreciated if you have, as it was first time for it at Silverstone since 1988!
Old 20 Apr 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3529415)   #23
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSL View Post
Great meeting and great photos from Brands and Percy, do either of you by any chance have a photo of car 62 in practice 8/race 11.

It is a dark grey Riley special, much appreciated if you have, as it was first time for it at Silverstone since 1988!
Sorry - I missed both of those sessions while wandering the paddock