Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:29 (Ref:697083)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Motorsport History

It has struck me that there seems to be a lack of knowlage by the media etc of what has happend in the past in all forms of Motorsport in Asutralia.

I just watched RPM's tribute to Howard Marsden. I think it is great that they paid tribute to Howard and it is rich deserved.

But why did they not mention his sucess with Nissan and his work on there Le Mans program. Or his rally work with George Fury and Ross Dunkerton. Just another example of the popular belief that Motorsport history started in this country on the 1st of January 1997
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:35 (Ref:697084)   #2
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RPM tribute was pathetic.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 07:21 (Ref:697092)   #3
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Ch 7 being very forthcoming with any footage from the Nissan years, even if they knew where it was. TV is nothing without footage, funny enough , but it would be a shame to let the details of the important developing years of racing in Australia slip.

The great race books a pretty good way to keep track of the people and cars involved with the Bathurst race and its lead up, pity Australian Motor Racing Year didnt keep going
Old 24 Aug 2003, 09:15 (Ref:697137)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wasnt a fan of the #10 tribute, I dont think their tribute to other fallen motorsport icons have been special either. Its a difficult subject to discuss for sure, but think that something as serious as this deserves a lot more respect than the way it is portrayed on that program in blipvert style.

These things should be a celebration of life rather than an acknowledgement of our own sadness at a passing into another world. We never seem to quite get there.

Chevron would likely have had pics from the past of Howard Marsden, or the people who took over Lance J.Ruting's collection, or indeed any of the current pic takers...

Its just sad that a tribute that could have been so much more ended up as they presented it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:697159)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just seems that anything Ten does is from 1997 onwards. Nothing happend before that or so they would have you believe
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:09 (Ref:697166)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My biggest gripe with Australian motorsport is the fact that they have you believe that nothing ever happened before V8 Supercars.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:52 (Ref:697186)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree completely, the general perception that is given out by TEN and AVESCO is that nothing happened before 1997,

although for all that we complain about Mathew White, he does at least mention some stats from pre-1997, though his call from Oran Park was interesting, where he said that Skaife had 4 Oran Park wins, but 6 if you want to include the Nissan wins......

I thought the same about the Marsden story omitting the Nissan years, plus to an extent his earlier years with Ford. For footage of the Nissan stuff, they should've tried the ABC.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:58 (Ref:697191)   #8
Wayne Kerr
Rookie

Wayne Kerr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard had a career before he came to Australia...

He run GT40s at Le Mans for instance.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 11:17 (Ref:697206)   #9
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard deserves a 1 hour doco on his achievements such were the extent of them.

Let's just hope that we do not lose anyone else this year.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 12:02 (Ref:697230)   #10
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even the books and things get it wrong. Australina Muscle Car magazine, the Mark Oastler production quoted the Brock 05 VL that David Bowden has as the Bathurst winner from 1987. A bit wrong considering it wasa car 10 that won and last I heard Bob Jones of Cartrek had it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:05 (Ref:697791)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the biggest immission of all (something I didn;t know until I read the Ford release) was that he looked after the cars in the movies Grand Prix and (yes, this one blew my socks off) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang..

It is also sad, really, that this year two Gentleman of motor sport have passed on - Howard Marsden and, in May, Carroll Smith - both of whom, for the past 3 years, I looked forward to seeing together at Formula SAE-A events each December...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:22 (Ref:697802)   #12
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Brock
Even the books and things get it wrong. Australina Muscle Car magazine, the Mark Oastler production quoted the Brock 05 VL that David Bowden has as the Bathurst winner from 1987. A bit wrong considering it wasa car 10 that won and last I heard Bob Jones of Cartrek had it.

AMC is correct, you are wrong!

The Bowden car is the 1987 Bathurst winner. The car still has it's log book and that pretty much confirms it.

See the following link for more detail:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...3&pagenumber=1
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:47 (Ref:697821)   #13
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's remember that Network Ten only had limited motorsport footage pre-1997. And I couldn't imagine Channel 7 even knowing where to look, if it's there ...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:52 (Ref:697824)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is absolutely no excuse for simply ignoring it howerver. Even the Ford releases made mention of his involvement with Nissan and others.