Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Jan 2021, 18:37 (Ref:4031529)   #101
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
LMDh admitted to WEC although there probably won't be any cars unless the 2023 entrants try to get a run late in the season
This part is interesting to me. The Dh cars need a new P2 chassis as a base, but when will those be available? Once they are available, or the designs at least, then the Dh manufacturers have to design bodywork and aero, engine and cooling, and a plan to put that all together.

Can all that happen before the end of the '22 season? Maybe for Mazda/Multimatic who are already linked, but is everyone else waiting around for P2 chassis rules/regs? Or are those done already and I've missed it?
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4031538)   #102
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
If I had to cynically guess, I would say the next gen P2 cars will be largely unchanged from the current gens. Same tubs, maybe tweaked engine/ecu combo to better fit with the decrease in speeds, maybe aero updates. I know the Toyota LMH car isn't the old P1, but they learned so many great lessons that the next generation only appears marginally evolved. I'd expect similar from the P2 constructors - especially Oreca.

And if that's actually the case, the LMDh constructors won't actually care about waiting for next gen cars. Engine, aero, suspension tuning (I think?) are all specific to that constructor. So in theory they could be building up the new cars now with potentially minimal changes required by the next P2 ruleset.

I wouldn't be surprised if LMDh cars start testing before the calendar year is over. I feel like the C8R had maybe a 17 month span of on-track testing before it's competition debut. Without any real evidence to back me up, I think LMDh manufacturers have sufficient data from current P2 chassis to start their own design process with confidence that there won't be any major packaging adjustments to make before actual mock-ups start happening.

Current armchair engineering degree is from Ashley Furniture.

Regarding the current Acura teams wanting to go to Le Mans - they'll be on the first flight to Le Mans as soon as Honda pays for it.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4031539)   #103
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good question. Could just be the usual story of ACO getting their own rules muddled up...

Anyway, Ford chipping in here but sounds more like GT3 than LMDh.

https://racer.com/2021/01/27/fords-r...-gt3-interest/
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4031542)   #104
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche LMDh
Also customer cars?
Porsche have plenty of associated or contracted teams and drivers to draw on.
Porsche confirmed factory programmes for both WEC and IMSA in addition to customer cars.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 22:55 (Ref:4031577)   #105
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both WTR and MSR have said they want to race at LM. Fingers crossed.
no doubts on that, but those teams will be some kind of semi-backed teams, not full private entries.
In my opinion mazda and acura will be full focused on IMSA and will maybe try a LM program in 2024 only if porsche and/or audi will show to have some chance to be equally competitive against toyota and peugeot. Assuming that audi and porsche will race at LM in 2023 for real.
Mazda will keep with 2 multimatic/mazda motorsport entries, Acura will have MSR, WTR and or other backed teams, forget to see a real private effort in lmdh to me for these 2 manufacturers. I think only GM will sell cars to whoever will make request, but I can see them interested on lmdh only if competitive teams like AXR or ganassi will stick with them, I don't expect GM could be interested on a LM program.
About audi I think WRT will be the "audi sport" team tasked for a WEC program and don't expect audi lmdh cars sold to eventually private teams before one or two seasons. Have no clues about porsche, they stated to be interested both in WEC and IMSA and this would require a lot of effort and money... porsche work team could run the WEC program, Core or another top team like penske could run the IMSA program.
But it's too early to make any realistic forecast since we don't know how long pandemic will take place and how will further damage world and automotive economy... not to consider how strange are porsche plans since they would take part to these sportscars competitions despite their strategy to produce and release more and more full electric road cars.

Last edited by canaglia; 27 Jan 2021 at 23:14.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 23:45 (Ref:4031584)   #106
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
If I had to cynically guess, I would say the next gen P2 cars will be largely unchanged from the current gens. Same tubs, maybe tweaked engine/ecu combo to better fit with the decrease in speeds, maybe aero updates. I know the Toyota LMH car isn't the old P1, but they learned so many great lessons that the next generation only appears marginally evolved. I'd expect similar from the P2 constructors - especially Oreca.

And if that's actually the case, the LMDh constructors won't actually care about waiting for next gen cars. Engine, aero, suspension tuning (I think?) are all specific to that constructor. So in theory they could be building up the new cars now with potentially minimal changes required by the next P2 ruleset.

I wouldn't be surprised if LMDh cars start testing before the calendar year is over. I feel like the C8R had maybe a 17 month span of on-track testing before it's competition debut. Without any real evidence to back me up, I think LMDh manufacturers have sufficient data from current P2 chassis to start their own design process with confidence that there won't be any major packaging adjustments to make before actual mock-ups start happening.

Current armchair engineering degree is from Ashley Furniture.

Regarding the current Acura teams wanting to go to Le Mans - they'll be on the first flight to Le Mans as soon as Honda pays for it.
I wonder if the LMPH will be 2 meters wide, 5 meters long and cabs a bit bigger than the LMP1(LMP2) like the Hypercar, in that case could the OMS build an LMDH using the current LMP2 chassis?
Old 28 Jan 2021, 04:14 (Ref:4031604)   #107
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Have no clues about porsche, they stated to be interested both in WEC and IMSA and this would require a lot of effort and money... porsche work team could run the WEC program, Core or another top team like penske could run the IMSA program.
Porsche have clearly stated that one of the most attractive aspects of the new regulations is the fact that they will be able to compete in the "big races" on both sides of the pond with the same car. This is obvious when you look at Porsche geographical sales distribution.

I too suspect that the IMSA program will look similar to the RS Spyder program of old.

Quote:
But it's too early to make any realistic forecast since we don't know how long pandemic will take place and how will further damage world and automotive economy... not to consider how strange are porsche plans since they would take part to these sportscars competitions despite their strategy to produce and release more and more full electric road cars.
Its actually not strange at all. Porsche has also clearly stated that they are going to try and market ICE engined cars (911 and especially the GT versions) for as long as they can. In fact Porsche is now investing heavily in synthetic fuels , and is in discussion with the ACO in order to allow these fuels in future regulation changes.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/p...nto-high-gear/

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/...rsche-in-lmdh/
Old 28 Jan 2021, 06:51 (Ref:4031612)   #108
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Core exploring LMDh possibilities

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...possibilities/
Old 28 Jan 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4031722)   #109
Mike E
Veteran

Well...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...from-2022.html
Old 28 Jan 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4031743)   #110
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you think corvette would consider moving their cars to WEC rather than redeveloping them?
Old 28 Jan 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4031749)   #111
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Do you think corvette would consider moving their cars to WEC rather than redeveloping them?
extremely unlikely, GM runs in IMSA to promote domestic US market.
What's the main difference between 488 GTE and GT3? some aero parts, ECU, geometry suspenions and ABS/TCS.... I'm sure C8R can be converted in a GT3 in a couple of months if not less.
Old 28 Jan 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4031755)   #112
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
extremely unlikely, GM runs in IMSA to promote domestic US market.
What's the main difference between 488 GTE and GT3? some aero parts, ECU, geometry suspenions and ABS/TCS.... I'm sure C8R can be converted in a GT3 in a couple of months if not less.
I agree. Would be shocked not to see those cars on the grid in GT3Pro next year.

This has to be considered positive news for teams and especially factories looking for a place to send their drivers!
Old 28 Jan 2021, 22:08 (Ref:4031758)   #113
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
WEC will follow soon.
IMHO.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 03:41 (Ref:4031792)   #114
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I think that's the hope of many of us.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 07:08 (Ref:4031796)   #115
Mike E
Veteran

There were lots of GT drivers on Twitter yesterday very excited about this. I wonder SRO make of it.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4031805)   #116
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, to kill an engineering class and replace it with just another BoPped one. It's a new definition of noun "Excitement". I should put a note in my dictionaries.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:51 (Ref:4031894)   #117
Mike E
Veteran

Ganassi also keen on a return to LM.

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...return-in-lmdh
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4031897)   #118
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if I'm mis-understanding something I read on Facebook, but it seems that Michelin are now spec tire supplier for LMP2 and GTE-Am, in addition to LMH/LMDH. That means that if true, only GTE-Pro is now open tire, and no one there is buying Goodyears.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4031902)   #119
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I wonder if I'm mis-understanding something I read on Facebook, but it seems that Michelin are now spec tire supplier for LMP2 and GTE-Am, in addition to LMH/LMDH. That means that if true, only GTE-Pro is now open tire, and no one there is buying Goodyears.
Goodyear are the spec tyre supplier for LMP2 in WEC and ELMS. Not sure about IMSA.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4031904)   #120
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There were lots of GT drivers on Twitter yesterday very excited about this. I wonder SRO make of it.
Who knows. They'll be ok though, hopefully. Although im curious to see what happens after their sim racing announcement.

This is great news though, ive wanted this for a few years, genuinely really pleased with this.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4031995)   #121
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Link to source? It does sound like a large misunderstanding, as surely we would have seen it reported that goodyear is effectively leaving the classes they were chosen as the spec tire.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 10:56 (Ref:4032005)   #122
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Well, to kill an engineering class and replace it with just another BoPped one. It's a new definition of noun "Excitement". I should put a note in my dictionaries.
GTE ceased being an engineering class years ago. It has been BoP regulated for 5-6 years or so now. When they did that, it became a pointless class.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4032024)   #123
canaglia
Veteran

plot twist incoming... gt2 "evolved" in gte was actually a bop class even before GT3 was created... main difference was that over 10 years ago, before GT1 demise and the entry of other manufacturers like corvette, bmw, work AMR etc... gt2 was mainly a ferrari vs porsche class + small/indipendent tuners.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4032111)   #124
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
GTE ceased being an engineering class years ago. It has been BoP regulated for 5-6 years or so now. When they did that, it became a pointless class.

Weren't they allowed to make some developments more frequently than in GT3? There were different tyre manufacturers too. Even from this point of view, with all the "waivers", I can not see where's the "excitement" to get just another GT3 series.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4036667)   #125
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HOLY *******ING ****!!!!!

https://twitter.com/FerrariRaces/sta...90989168545801

Inject this news into my veins (and the vaccine)!