Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 23 Dec 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3347097)   #1
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Heycoop Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Toyota Racing Series Season

Just had a look at the entry list - they are down to 15 cars, and only 1 kiwi in the field!! Do you think this is a good or bad thing.

I think its not so bad, as it gives some of the better kiwi drivers a chance to go head to head with some up and coming drivers from around the globe. However, only having one kiwi is probably not enough, maybe they should at least reserve a space for 2-3 kiwis, even if MSNZ is able to partly subsidise their season kin some way??

Also, it looks like a bit of an average field this season, only four names I recognise is James Munro, Andrew Tang (has raced trs before), Stein Sch... (dutch who has raced TRS last season) and Jann Mardenbourgh (GT Academy winner). Seems like this series, which was at its peak a couple of years ago, is slowly fading away.
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3347101)   #2
Worsel
Rookie

New Zealand
Worsel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure where the entry list is, but I read that there were 23 cars entered, 3 New Zealanders, 19 overseas, including Pedro Piquet, son of 3 times F1 champ Nelson.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3347112)   #3
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link to the entry list?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3347116)   #4
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Link to the entry list?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Toyota_Racing_Series

If wikipedia can be trusted!!

In this case it can, as I've read all these names in different articles on the Toyota Racing website.
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3347118)   #5
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macauley Jones should do well - son of some guy named Brad Jones, and proven to be very handy in a Formula Ford in Australia. He's my smokey pick early

Can't wait til the NZ Motor Cup - been a long time since I've taken photos of these things
Old 23 Dec 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3347136)   #6
FraserGT
Rookie

FraserGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't trust what you read on Wikipedia. It is only a partial list.

They are missing the Leitch brothers out of Invercargill and the four cars being run by ETECH. There were 17 cars shaken down at Hampton Downs last Monday with the two cars from Andy Neale's new team shaken down at Ruapuna on Friday. Victory's four cars have not run yet.

It's looking like there will be 23 cars on the grid at Teretonga with a strong rumor that Kenny Smith will be making an appearance at the NZ Grand Prix - his 49th NZGP.

This is the biggest field ever for TRS - the largest grid they have had before was something like 21 cars for one of the early NZ Grand Prix.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3347137)   #7
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heycoop, can't believe you think the series is fading away. It just shows the lack of knowledge you have about the drivers who are coming over here. They have a great product which is tailored for international drivers. Outside of James Munro (who has a seat!) and probably Tom Alexander, I don't see any other up and coming NZ drivers who would match it with the internationals.

If ETEC Motorsport (http://www.etecmotorsport.com) run their 5 cars, brings us to 20. Comparable to previous years.

I enjoy the TRS meetings as much as any other. Mardenborough or Schothorst for the championship this season.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3347153)   #8
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoskim View Post
Heycoop, can't believe you think the series is fading away. It just shows the lack of knowledge you have about the drivers who are coming over here. They have a great product which is tailored for international drivers. Outside of James Munro (who has a seat!) and probably Tom Alexander, I don't see any other up and coming NZ drivers who would match it with the internationals.

If ETEC Motorsport (http://www.etecmotorsport.com) run their 5 cars, brings us to 20. Comparable to previous years.

I enjoy the TRS meetings as much as any other. Mardenborough or Schothorst for the championship this season.
I completely forgot about ETEC!!!

I said it was fading away simply because of what appeared to be a lack of entries, although as Fraser said its looking like there will be 23 cars at round one - I take back what I said earlier

If I were to place bets, then my pick would be Steijn Schothorst for the championship. I think he was in the top 5 last year and won a race at Manfeild (happy to be corrected here...).

Does anyone know who ETEC are running this season, can't find anything on either their or Toyota Racings website.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3347156)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see the decline of this series-I remember when it was efectively a winter F1 series wirh the likes of Stirling Moss & Jim Clark taking part!
Old 23 Dec 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3347195)   #10
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Sad to see the decline of this series-I remember when it was efectively a winter F1 series wirh the likes of Stirling Moss & Jim Clark taking part!
Those were the Tasman days...
Old 23 Dec 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3347292)   #11
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The world has moved on quite a lot since then

TRS does provide an excellent concentrated series for a different group of younger racers
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3347446)   #12
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I cannot wait for it to start, sure looks to be the most promising field for TRS that we have ever had. Looking forward to seeing some youngsters trying to make their future in the sport. Also looking forward to seeing Nelson Piquet in person around and about our NZ circuits.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 02:49 (Ref:3347467)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although the TRS may well be our top single seater series and attracts some great young and not so young drivers, I'd still rather watch the variety in the F5000s.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3347469)   #14
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take the top three or so from F5000 field and it really is a high speed procession as the owners do not want to do any damage

Prefer to watch racing, myself
Old 24 Dec 2013, 03:54 (Ref:3347472)   #15
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
Take the top three or so from F5000 field and it really is a high speed procession as the owners do not want to do any damage

Prefer to watch racing, myself
I have to agree. F5000 are fantastic machines, sound great. But how many of them are genuinely being pushed??

Most are driven by guys who seem to be well past it, or out on a bit of a Sunday drive because they can.

I certainly perfer hungry young up and comers battling wheel to wheel forging careers.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 05:24 (Ref:3347491)   #16
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Those were the Tasman days...
Pity it isn't like that today, but Moss was last here in 62, and Clark 1968 just before he died
Old 24 Dec 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3347513)   #17
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1s View Post
I have to agree. F5000 are fantastic machines, sound great. But how many of them are genuinely being pushed??

Most are driven by guys who seem to be well past it, or out on a bit of a Sunday drive because they can.

I certainly perfer hungry young up and comers battling wheel to wheel forging careers.
Your right, very few cars are being driven to the limit. Look at what that young guy does in the high winged Lola t140 - beating some of the much quicker Lola T330'or T332s
Old 24 Dec 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3347520)   #18
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough. I was a keen spectator when you could tell a P99 Ferguson from a BRM, from a Lotus, From a Ferrari from a Cooper, but the permanent memories I now have from recent meetings are photographs of the cars and as they all look the same, half the interest has gone.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3347536)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's reasonably similar, the TRS, to what it was back in those Tasman days, but just lower down the ladder. Still, this field looks quality and one or two of these guys could well end up in F1 in the not-too-distant future.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3348656)   #20
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
It's reasonably similar, the TRS, to what it was back in those Tasman days, but just lower down the ladder. Still, this field looks quality and one or two of these guys could well end up in F1 in the not-too-distant future.
No comment really, just got tired of looking at the name "Biscuits In A Red Bull" no offence intended. According to my old buddy Kenny Smith there are 23 TRS cars running this season with 4 kiwi's amongst that field.

Ken said that he intended to run the GP meeting only and that would make 24 cars, if Mitch Evan's does the same that would be a record breaking 25 car TRS field. Congratulations to Toyota NZ on their persistance, it just goes to prove if you throw enough money at something for long enough it will generally work out in your favour.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3349558)   #21
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Here is the entry list as was published by Toyota Racing New Zealand... looks like a great feild numbers wise, and some seriously young competitors!

Old 6 Jan 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3350739)   #22
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to be at Teretonga, looking forward to the TRS races
Old 8 Jan 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3351460)   #23
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Going to be at Teretonga, looking forward to the TRS races
Any body seen a list of TLX and TL NZV8 cars entered for Teretonga yet? Its this weekend coming unless I am mistaken and everything is quite as a door mouse so far.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3351465)   #24
DRIFDY
Rookie

DRIFDY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 TLX: Bargs, Ross, Varney, Hughes, Lauder
8 TL : Matt / Ian Booth, Bronson Porter,James McLaughlin,Brock Cooley, Grant Molloy, Liam MacDonald, Ross Cameron

20: Formula Ford mix of Nz and SI camps, classes 1,2 and 3

22+ NZ Sports Sedan Challenge
Mostly just a mix of OSCA, Sports Saloons and a few NI guys.

12: NZ Six
12: Clubmans

My lists are a few weeks old so the numbers are + or -
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3351727)   #25
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFDY View Post
5 TLX: Bargs, Ross, Varney, Hughes, Lauder
8 TL : Matt / Ian Booth, Bronson Porter,James McLaughlin,Brock Cooley, Grant Molloy, Liam MacDonald, Ross Cameron

20: Formula Ford mix of Nz and SI camps, classes 1,2 and 3

22+ NZ Sports Sedan Challenge
Mostly just a mix of OSCA, Sports Saloons and a few NI guys.

12: NZ Six
12: Clubmans

My lists are a few weeks old so the numbers are + or -
So I guess we will have to wait for tomorrow's practice times to see who actually shows up.