Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Mar 2015, 03:31 (Ref:3513543)   #1
alfred1976
Rookie

alfred1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda 2015 IndyCar Series Aero Kits

Crazy front end.

from the press release:
Honda today debuted the package of aerodynamic upgrades and components its teams will use in the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series, as the manufacturer seeks to add to an already impressive list of accomplishments in American open-wheel racing.

The 2015 Honda Indy car "aero kit", produced by Honda Performance Development, Honda's racing arm in North America, includes nearly 200 individual pieces that can be fitted to the existing Honda-powered Dallara Indy car chassis. All are intended to give Honda's six IndyCar Series teams the ability to maximize performance at each of the 15 circuits that make up the 2015 championship schedule.

4 pictures and press release

Old 10 Mar 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3513592)   #2
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needs more winglets? Holy crap!
Old 10 Mar 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3513595)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Worse on a real car..

So... who exactly asked for these new aerokits??

Jeez...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Mar 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3513612)   #4
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Worse on a real car..
I disagree. I think both cars look great.

of course, looks are meaningless in racing; They're designing these to win races, not beauty contests. Save the styling exercises for the road cars.

Quote:
So... who exactly asked for these new aerokits??
Everybody that wanted visually distinct cars in IndyCar. Not the series' fault that today's designers don't want to build things that line up with the aesthetics of the fans who demanded it.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3513613)   #5
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1976 View Post
Crazy front end.

from the press release:
Honda today debuted the package of aerodynamic upgrades and components its teams will use in the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series, as the manufacturer seeks to add to an already impressive list of accomplishments in American open-wheel racing.

The 2015 Honda Indy car "aero kit", produced by Honda Performance Development, Honda's racing arm in North America, includes nearly 200 individual pieces that can be fitted to the existing Honda-powered Dallara Indy car chassis. All are intended to give Honda's six IndyCar Series teams the ability to maximize performance at each of the 15 circuits that make up the 2015 championship schedule.

4 pictures and press release

Talk about a multi-tiered car, does each tier represent a level in the Road to Indy development ladder? I can't tell if I'm looking at the front of a car or about to walk up the steps to an art museum.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3513670)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the better looking one of the two aero kits, at least to this observer. Let's hope it's also the faster one!
Old 10 Mar 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3513679)   #7
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to check the calender to see if it was April 1st.

You've got to be kidding me. Both of them have turned an eyesore of a car into something much worse. The future of IndyCar racing?

Eyesearingly ugly.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3513683)   #8
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is awesome. I cannot wait to see these crazy-a$$ things in person.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3513689)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I could see it in the grey but it looks 20 times worse in the yellow.

You need to see these in anger to make a final judgement. If they look fierce and terrifying in competition, then we've got something.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3513694)   #10
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I could see it in the grey but it looks 20 times worse in the yellow.

You need to see these in anger to make a final judgement. If they look fierce and terrifying in competition, then we've got something.
More downforce with the same horsepower. Doubt they'll look fierce. The only thing these bodykits will provide, other than making the previous generation irl sleds look somewhat decent, is the longer caution periods to clean up all the extra carbon fibre bits that will be littering the track.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3513704)   #11
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like they had some good Peyote for dessert.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3513786)   #12
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Looks like they had some good Peyote for dessert.
i tried peyote a couple of times. each time tossing my cookies was one of the preliminaries.

apt comment.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3513846)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the restrictions placed on the designers, I'm not sure what people were expecting.

I saw this on the Mulsanne Corner facebook page:

Old 11 Mar 2015, 06:04 (Ref:3513945)   #14
hotlavaaaa
Rookie

hotlavaaaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
With the restrictions placed on the designers, I'm not sure what people were expecting.

I saw this on the Mulsanne Corner facebook page:

This is hilarious.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3514011)   #15
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not usually one to blow my own trumpet (ok, thats exactly what i'm doing now), but that's my work that I posted on autosport forum yesterday AM. Now it's being tweeted all over the show. If only i could monetise it!
Old 11 Mar 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3514042)   #16
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well then congrats Peat. Job well done!

Wonder if any of the new front aero design will spill over to F1 ?
Old 13 Mar 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3514835)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When it comes to this series you just can't make stuff up, they always do it to themselves. I think they are short a few winglets. Maybe they'll put a few on the drivers helmet.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 07:20 (Ref:3515009)   #18
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love the Honda from the side view, especially Jakes'. http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/03/...-kits-on-track
Whether or not these new cars are your cup of tea, a step away from the spec chassis is a positive. I think the next gen will get way more open, Walker gets it.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3515124)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hunter Reay's car still looks completely and utterly daft.

The other cars I can come to terms with I think. When the livery is darker, the winglets tend to blend in more and overall seems a 'little' more shapely.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3515525)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I'm not usually one to blow my own trumpet (ok, thats exactly what i'm doing now), but that's my work that I posted on autosport forum yesterday AM. Now it's being tweeted all over the show. If only i could monetise it!
Fame at last, .
Old 15 Mar 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3515526)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally I think the Chevy kit has the 'edge' aesthetically.

Anyway there are loads of photos of both aero-kits, testing at NOLA.

http://www.indycar.com/Photos/Gallery?g=2690
Old 15 Mar 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3515536)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
The winglets spring up like a field of wild mushrooms on those cars. They are overgrown with winglets like an unkept garden. I'm morbidly interested in seeing how these cars fare in entanglements.

The Chevy does look better but even there there's these strange attenna like winglets sprouting upwards...

But the cars being ugly doesn't faze me per say. If they look ugly and fierce, that's cool. I'll be able to judge that seeing them racing in anger.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3515538)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The winglets spring up like a field of wild mushrooms on those cars. They are overgrown with winglets like an unkept garden. I'm morbidly interested in seeing how these cars fare in entanglements.

The Chevy does look better but even there there's these strange attenna like winglets sprouting upwards...

But the cars being ugly doesn't faze me per say. If they look ugly and fierce, that's cool. I'll be able to judge that seeing them racing in anger.
F1 cars in 2008 had enough appendages, like this Sauber.

Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:40 (Ref:3517911)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
An interesting article regarding Honda's aero-kit.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/03/...haracteristics