Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Sep 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3676001)   #1
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2017 World Rally Championship

I see a few renders have been released today of the various 2017 cars, I suppose the Toyota will look beautiful if it's fast.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3676002)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Toyota:
http://nl.motorsport.com/wrc/photos/...lery/?r=159212

Citroen:
http://nl.motorsport.com/wrc/photos/...lery/?r=158587

Hyundai:
http://nl.motorsport.com/wrc/photos/...lery/?r=159182

This shot reminds me of the Hyundai Accent WRC:
http://nl.motorsport.com/wrc/photo/m...d=10851254&i=5
Old 29 Sep 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3676004)   #3
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the Yaris goes better than it looks.....looks like a toy car.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3676005)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Looks better than the Hyundai.

The Yaris WRC is the new MG Metro 6R4.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3676006)   #5
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't like that only factory teams are allowed to drive cars build by the new 2017 rules. I believe all entries should be allowed to use the same rules and conditions. And what are they afraid off? Old cars beating new ones?
Old 29 Sep 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3676022)   #6
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
I really don't like that only factory teams are allowed to drive cars build by the new 2017 rules. I believe all entries should be allowed to use the same rules and conditions. And what are they afraid off? Old cars beating new ones?
Not sure but I think it was because the newer cars are so fast so they decided that only professional drivers should compete with them.

However, the older cars will still be allowed to compete so I guess privateers can enter with those cars?
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3676071)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
I hope the Yaris goes better than it looks.....looks like a toy car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Looks better than the Hyundai.

The Yaris WRC is the new MG Metro 6R4.
I prefer the Hyundai to the Toyota - the Yaris looks awful (far worse than a 6R4!)
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:39 (Ref:3676077)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to admit, you look at that Citroen and you think, is this WTCC all over again! All that budget going into two cars! I think them and Hyundai have come up with a similar concept, a longer than current, low, wide car. Whereas the Toyota looks just like a current car, small, boxy and short wheelbase. Looks like the Suzuki SX4 and that looked wrong from the start, too short and small.

Therefore I am thinking 2017 is a learning year for Toyota, the car looks wrong, and I think they will do the same as they did in F1, start with a base car, nothing flash, prove the mechanicals and the concept, then build a proper car and get in some decent drivers.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3676101)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Have to admit, you look at that Citroen and you think, is this WTCC all over again! All that budget going into two cars!
To some extent it is worrying - but then I suspect VW are spending just as much so there should at least be some competition.

Quote:
I think them and Hyundai have come up with a similar concept, a longer than current, low, wide car. Whereas the Toyota looks just like a current car, small, boxy and short wheelbase. Looks like the Suzuki SX4 and that looked wrong from the start, too short and small.

Therefore I am thinking 2017 is a learning year for Toyota, the car looks wrong, and I think they will do the same as they did in F1, start with a base car, nothing flash, prove the mechanicals and the concept, then build a proper car and get in some decent drivers.
The Toyota looks like it's from a different class doesn't it? Can Toyota afford a 'learning year'? I thought they'd been hacking the Yaris around this year so they could hit the ground running next year. Drivers look to be a problem though - the big names have all said no.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 13:22 (Ref:3676118)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine Bert that you cant just come in and hit it straightaway withotu spending gazillions as VW did.

They were certainly testing a lot, and most teams when they come in take some time, Hyundry certainly did.

I thnk only really Citroen and VW in the past ahve come in and dominated off the bet, and that is highly likely to do with budget, testing mileage and money.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3676129)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well hopefully the competition will be even better next year, hope the Toyota's hard work pays off
Old 30 Sep 2016, 21:40 (Ref:3676182)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I would imagine Bert that you cant just come in and hit it straightaway withotu spending gazillions as VW did.
True - I can't imagine Toyota are spending peanuts though - of the works teams I'd guess Hyundai has the smallest budget.

Quote:
I thnk only really Citroen and VW in the past ahve come in and dominated off the bet, and that is highly likely to do with budget, testing mileage and money.
Citroen had a toe in the water with the Xsara kit car before they went for the full blown WR car and VW of course ran Fabias for a year so neither was coming in cold. I think Toyota may struggle initially.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3676223)   #13
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An don't forget that Toyota back basically wasted about 18 months when they originally started testing the Yaris. TMG had Lindholm & Sarrazin doing all the testing, on gravel and Tarmac...

Then for some unknown reason Akio Toyoda moved the programme from Cologne, and gave it to Tommi - whose team had never run a serious programme before. Which I still find bizarre....and with the result that it turned into a mainly Finnish team....as they struggled to get people to come and work in Finland. So they are playing 'catch up'.

Last edited by ArnageWRC; 1 Oct 2016 at 10:42.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3676224)   #14
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Have to admit, you look at that Citroen and you think, is this WTCC all over again! All that budget going into two cars! I think them and Hyundai have come up with a similar concept, a longer than current, low, wide car. Whereas the Toyota looks just like a current car, small, boxy and short wheelbase. Looks like the Suzuki SX4 and that looked wrong from the start, too short and small.

Interesting thoughts chunder, I tend to agree. I joked a while back that the cars are getting smaller and smaller and that it would get to a point in time where we would struggle to distinguish the real ones from their radio-controlled racing versions. The Toyota is already there in that respect.

Maybe they will come out and surprise everyone with their pace especially on tarmac. Let's wait and see.
Old 1 Oct 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3676225)   #15
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
An don't forget that Toyota back basically wasted about 18 months when they originally started testing the Yaris. TMG had Lindholm & Sarrazin doing all the testing, on gravel and Tarmac...

Then for some unknown reason Akio Toyoda moved the programme from Cologne, and gave it to Tommi - whose team had never run a serious programme before. Which I still find bizarre....and with the result that it turned into a mainly Finnish team....
Maybe he felt Cologne handling the WEC car development and racing activities and a full-on WRC program would be a bit much given that the former is quite an intensive program.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3677425)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The Citroen lineup has been confirmed:

Meeke
Lefebvre
Breen

Looks like a pretty good lineup to me although maybe lacking a bit of experience (other than Meeke).
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3677447)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
And now Hyundai have confirmed Neuville for next season - lineups taking shape.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3677627)   #18
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
And now Hyundai have confirmed Neuville for next season - lineups taking shape.
I heard in the highlights program that Sordo had 2yrs confirmed as well unless I was imagining.

I didn't know Camilli has only being rallying for 4 years! 4 years! Remarkable. Talk about a vertical learning curve.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 08:12 (Ref:3677765)   #19
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I hope that the Yaris goes well, because it looks like a brick! The way the Toyota program has been run thus far doesn't fill me with confidence, but fingers crossed they have the pace.

2017 Fiesta WRC in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngH2...ature=youtu.be

I was expecting to like the look of the Fiesta more, but I'm not convinced yet, it looks "stretched" to make the extended track width rather than chunky like the current car. I'm sure there are refinements to come in the styling though, plus it is hard to gauge the lines with all the camouflage.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3677766)   #20
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting to hear the 2017 revs so much higher than the older 2.0 34 mm cars. I know this is due to a shorter stroke, but I guess the 36 mm restrictor frees the top end.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3677811)   #21
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am much more impressed by the WRC's "return to power" than I expected to be. The cars do look much better and the new body kits mean each has its own character.

I am wondering a bit about safety with people saying these could be so much faster than current models (and obviously very much faster than group B). Yes, I know the body kits are meant to give more impact protection but most serious injuries and fatalities tend to be caused by frontal impacts and objects entering the cabin through the front of the car - these areas don't seem to have improved that much. And then there are the spectators/photographers who still stand in stupid places and will have even less time to react to errant cars...
Old 6 Oct 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3677919)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Do they really sound that much different?

it isn't really that different to the current cars, juts a bit more raucous, and I mean a bit more.

With a load more aero and body contouring.

Now, they look kind of like time attack cars!!
Old 20 Oct 2016, 23:55 (Ref:3681683)   #23
cg7aa
Veteran

Very interesting thoughts throughout this thread, good discussions! I too was excited about the power increase but I'm questioning that now, as someone said earlier, who asked for more power? Thinking about it, it's an answer to a question nobody I know of has asked!

Arguably, the power of the cars is the least of the WRC's problems; the core one it seems to me being the disappearance of the sport from the minds of the general public. Those of us in the know will probably enjoy the faster cars but will it bring new converts? Are they preaching to the choir?
Old 21 Oct 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3681727)   #24
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've hit the nail on the head.

The current cars are the fastest through a stage we've seen; faster than the brutally fast in a straight line, but agricultural Gp B cars. So, the cars aren't really the problem.

It down to promotion, and the series of bland, identikit WRC events, and muddled thinking from those at the top and the Manufacturers.

As you say, they're only preaching to the converted; your modern day 'general motorsport fan' isn't really interested in the sport anymore - you only have to look on various motorsport websites/ forums, and the rallying/ WRC threads fare poorly compared to F1, BTCC, MotoGP, WEC, etc
Old 21 Oct 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3681777)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm old enough to remember when they showed the Silverstone Rallysprint stage of the 97 RAC on the Beeb, but it seems that a great sport has been forgotten about. It's a shame because proper promotion should get more people interested