Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jul 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3838548)   #51
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are the extra grandstands going to situated ........ hadn't heard about this at all????

Setting off early tomorrow morning for a midday train from Folkestone - should be at Spa before the parade starts with a bit of luck.

Great entry and could be any of 12 cars to win this one if not more.

Weather looks scorching for practice but possibly a bit damp at times for the race - that should spice it up a little bit - hoping for a Bentley win although wouldn't be too disappointed if R-Motorsport got the Aston going quickly as probably the last year of the awesome sound!

Safe trip to those that are going ..........
Old 24 Jul 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3838554)   #52
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Where are the extra grandstands going to situated ........ hadn't heard about this at all????

Setting off early tomorrow morning for a midday train from Folkestone - should be at Spa before the parade starts with a bit of luck.

Great entry and could be any of 12 cars to win this one if not more.

Weather looks scorching for practice but possibly a bit damp at times for the race - that should spice it up a little bit - hoping for a Bentley win although wouldn't be too disappointed if R-Motorsport got the Aston going quickly as probably the last year of the awesome sound!

Safe trip to those that are going ..........
There is one at La Source, an extra one on the outside of Eau Rouge (inbetween the permanent ones with no cover and the one up the hill with cover) and one on the inside of Eau Rouge as you turn left out the foot tunnel.

TV screens have been moved about to accomodate

There may be more futher round, but as the bronze test was only 3 hours and it was 32 degrees I couldn't be bothered to walk up the Kemmel.

It needs a thunderstorm to clear the air, this afternoon basically everyone was hiding in the shade it was just too hot. A full week of this (and it's due to get up 35 before it cools down) will be properly unpleasant
Old 24 Jul 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3838555)   #53
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
And both the Muehlner Motorsport Porsches in the Nationale Class are yet to be filled so question marks over them.
They have been withdrawn.

I will definitely be going on Thursday (got tickets for that).
Depending on the temperature, I will decide then and there if I return on Saturday or not.

I can't stand the current heat, I'm very sensible to that.
I will probably climb the Raidillon and go towards the Kemmel straight. There's always a bit of a breeze there. Maybe that will help me.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3838588)   #54
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that Ford man Olivier Pla is now in the Pro Mclaren.

And curious the factory employed Andrew Watson is now in the Mclaren in the AM class... Would have thought his factory status would have affected that
Old 24 Jul 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3838609)   #55
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
And curious the factory employed Andrew Watson is now in the Mclaren in the AM class... Would have thought his factory status would have affected that

Indeed Andrew Watson is not factory-driver blood. He'll do well in the AM class car.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3838637)   #56
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No Fords in Blancpain, just like there are no Fords in ELMS. Guess that if there's no chance of competing against his main employer's cars, he's allowed to race elsewhere.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3838647)   #57
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
No Fords in Blancpain, just like there are no Fords in ELMS. Guess that if there's no chance of competing against his main employer's cars, he's allowed to race elsewhere.

Fair point.

Wonder how much he’s been in the mclaren.

Watson showed brilliant pace in the last round, setting pole overall in his qualifying and holding a strong lead in the race...

They must be pretty certain of Pla’s pace in the mclaren to sub him in out of nowhere

Not denying his general pace of course, he’s pretty lightning in everything else he’s driven
Old 25 Jul 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3838660)   #58
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
There is one at La Source, an extra one on the outside of Eau Rouge (inbetween the permanent ones with no cover and the one up the hill with cover) and one on the inside of Eau Rouge as you turn left out the foot tunnel.
Wow that is great news! Are any of the new stands covered?
Old 25 Jul 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3838680)   #59
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Wow that is great news! Are any of the new stands covered?
The La Source one and the one on the inside of Eau Rouge are. The one on the outside isn't. It's worth saying the former wasn't actually open yesterday, but it looked complete so I can't imagine it won't be open this week
Old 25 Jul 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3838717)   #60
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wonder how much he’s been in the mclaren.
Watson was in a McLaren all of last season.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3838740)   #61
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Watson was in a McLaren all of last season.

Yes, talking about Pla not Watson
Old 25 Jul 2018, 23:03 (Ref:3838800)   #62
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I’m sure Pla’s raced for McLaren before. Maybe last year at Spa?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3838819)   #63
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
I’m sure Pla’s raced for McLaren before. Maybe last year at Spa?

Not at Spa last year, but maybe he has before, I can’t think where that may have been though
Old 26 Jul 2018, 07:11 (Ref:3838824)   #64
Ad.
Rookie

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Ad. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, this is my first Spa 24 hours and my second ever attendance to a major GT3 endurance race (My first being 2017 Bathurst 12 hours). l am currently staying around 15 mins from Spa and have access to a rental car for the rest of the days.

I wonder what are the places/things I can’t miss during the race both in and out of the track? Is it possible to access all areas of the track by simply driving around?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope you all will have a great time at The race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 Jul 2018, 07:41 (Ref:3838828)   #65
Mountain Man
Racer

Can I be the first to whinge and say it's waaaaaaay too hot. The circuit thermometer showing 35 degrees at quarter past 9 is not fun
Old 26 Jul 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3838829)   #66
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad. View Post
Hey guys, this is my first Spa 24 hours and my second ever attendance to a major GT3 endurance race (My first being 2017 Bathurst 12 hours). l am currently staying around 15 mins from Spa and have access to a rental car for the rest of the days.

I wonder what are the places/things I can’t miss during the race both in and out of the track? Is it possible to access all areas of the track by simply driving around?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope you all will have a great time at The race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I posted this elsewhere for a similar question....

What not to miss? The view from the inside of Bruxelles both the corner itself and the view to the pits straight across the valley. The East Belgian Racing club bar at Radaillion is worth a stop at, cheaper beer and the atmosphere on race night at 4am is brilliant

In terms of locations, most places will quiet on Thursday / Friday, and you want to experience Eau Rouge on those days, thats the best time as you can get to one of the viewing windows. On race day, even at 4am you'll get people with their seats there.

In terms of round the circuit. The old grandstands on the downhill post La Source are good, old, but really atmospheric. I was sat in the old uncovered one last year as it got light and it was amazing. You can get in all the grandstands, all race long, no special tickets needed. If you want to get in the grandstand for the start (opposite the old pits not the F1) you probably want to be there 90 mins or so in advance.

Going round, Eau Rouge is Eau Rouge.

The Kemmel straight is a great place to watch as straights go, its up hill so the engines are pushing it, you get a lot of overtaking and the bank gives you long unobstructed views. There are a lot of "seats" where people have dug into the bank you can get quite comfy. I like it in the evening as its starting to get dark, it stays lighter than most of the circuit and if it isnt raining (which it will at some point) then its great to watch.

Les Combes is a good spot, but quite busy. There is a big boulder people climb post the chicane and thats great for seeing cars as they come down to Malmedy.

Bruxelles is my favourite spot on the entire circuit, possibly my favourite spot to watch motorsport at any circuit in the world. On the inside (accessed via a footpath (until this point you walk the circuit on the outside, then you have to go the inside)) you get really close to the cars coming downhill, often side by side. As you go round the corner, the views open up and you can see all the way to La Source and the pits, its a stunning view. Likewise you can view from the outside of the corner if you walk through the campsite, there is a viewing window you are looking straight at the cars coming down into the corner. Its the easiest spot in the world to get good photos.

From Bruxelles the circuit drops steeply to Pouhon, at points you are virtually looking down on the roofs of the cars which is a crazy perspective. The hill is seriously step, personally I think its easier to climb it in terms of direction as opposed to the long slog walking up the Kemmel

Pouhon the barrier is further away than a lot of spots, but still good view. Last year like a lot of people it seemed I just curled up and fell asleep on the bank at something o'clock in the morning.

Then it become poorer viewing for a bit, you can an ok view of Fagnes, albeit standing in a car pack.

I'm told you can view from the outside of Fagnes and Paul Frere but I dont know where?

As far I am aware you have to cut from Fagnes down the bank along a path and under the circuit at the start of Blanchimont. The speed at that point is insane, especially at night as you are standing in the trees.

You then reach the bus stop which is great to watch from. On the F1 start finish straight there is the one modern grandstand, its a bit souless but you do see cars out the chicane. One word of advice, use earplugs in the stand, the noise bounces around the roof. My ears were ringing for 2 hours after being in there for night quali a few years ago.

You cant get great views of La Source as its the one place they have multiple layers of fence (for sensible reasons). But there is a good spot if you walk along from the grandstand up to the ramp out the car park. You get a pretty clear view over the fence of cars braking into the hairpin. Also you can get a bit of a view from inside the paddock (the cars use a long pit lane covering both pits, regardless where their box is, they have to enter at the bus stop run all the way through and exit at Raidllon (which makes all the drive throughs for track limits bewildering))

A few other good spots are:
Above the F1 pits, you can access it via the Paddock, its kinda the same view but better from the Le Mans pits grandstand. In the same place is the restaurant which is stunning views of the run up to and includng final chicane from the outside balcony (and you can also see a strange angle of Eau Rouge across the valley). To get in, you need to buy tokens (e2.50 a drink last year), its not cheap, but if you always have a drink they seem content. The food in there is good, its buffet arrangement for e18 or so, so not cheap, but its nice occaisionly to have non stody burger food.

2 other spots worth noting, you can get up on the old pits roof, its busier than the F1 pits but worth a view for a bit. Also at the bottom of the Eau Rouge next to the pits entrance if you have a Paddock ticket you can watch cars leave the pits through a gate, also its where the support races enter the circuit, so if you want to see them lining up its worth going down. Great for photos.

Non viewing related, but make sure you watch the Super Trofeo races, those are crazy with so many Lamborginis. Also at about 11pm they have a big fire work display at Bruxelles, which is watchable from a lot of the circuit.

In terms of driving, it's better to walk. I guess you could drive to avoid walking up the Kemmel straight, but I suspect by the time you park you'll be walking at far anyway

This year there are additional temporary grandstands, during the Bronze test I enjoyed the one on the inside of Eau Rouge, it's relatively shaded and a good view as they can down the hill
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3838869)   #67
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Mountain Man gives great advice. I’ll just emphasise one point: you are very likely to have to park some way from the circuit and from then on you’re on your feet. And Spa is unforgiving! Some of the slopes are very steep, the ground can be rough and at night there is zero light. It’s wonderful, it’s worth it ... but it isn’t easy!

I aim to walk the whole track twice, in the daylight and in darkness, between start and Sunday lunchtime, then park myself in a stand to watch the last few hours. It’s a wonderful event.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3838908)   #68
Mountain Man
Racer

I'd add also, the easiest way to follow the race if you don't speak French is to watch the coloured number panels on the car windscreen. They display position in class depending on the colour
Old 26 Jul 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3838951)   #69
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Bob Varsha is guest commentating on the stream
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3838963)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bob Varsha is guest commentating on the stream
😊
Old 26 Jul 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3838968)   #71
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What time is SRO press conference tomorrow?
Old 27 Jul 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3839021)   #72
Ad.
Rookie

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Ad. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I posted this elsewhere for a similar question....

What not to miss? The view from the inside of Bruxelles both the corner itself and the view to the pits straight across the valley. The East Belgian Racing club bar at Radaillion is worth a stop at, cheaper beer and the atmosphere on race night at 4am is brilliant

In terms of locations, most places will quiet on Thursday / Friday, and you want to experience Eau Rouge on those days, thats the best time as you can get to one of the viewing windows. On race day, even at 4am you'll get people with their seats there.

In terms of round the circuit. The old grandstands on the downhill post La Source are good, old, but really atmospheric. I was sat in the old uncovered one last year as it got light and it was amazing. You can get in all the grandstands, all race long, no special tickets needed. If you want to get in the grandstand for the start (opposite the old pits not the F1) you probably want to be there 90 mins or so in advance.

Going round, Eau Rouge is Eau Rouge.

The Kemmel straight is a great place to watch as straights go, its up hill so the engines are pushing it, you get a lot of overtaking and the bank gives you long unobstructed views. There are a lot of "seats" where people have dug into the bank you can get quite comfy. I like it in the evening as its starting to get dark, it stays lighter than most of the circuit and if it isnt raining (which it will at some point) then its great to watch.

Les Combes is a good spot, but quite busy. There is a big boulder people climb post the chicane and thats great for seeing cars as they come down to Malmedy.

Bruxelles is my favourite spot on the entire circuit, possibly my favourite spot to watch motorsport at any circuit in the world. On the inside (accessed via a footpath (until this point you walk the circuit on the outside, then you have to go the inside)) you get really close to the cars coming downhill, often side by side. As you go round the corner, the views open up and you can see all the way to La Source and the pits, its a stunning view. Likewise you can view from the outside of the corner if you walk through the campsite, there is a viewing window you are looking straight at the cars coming down into the corner. Its the easiest spot in the world to get good photos.

From Bruxelles the circuit drops steeply to Pouhon, at points you are virtually looking down on the roofs of the cars which is a crazy perspective. The hill is seriously step, personally I think its easier to climb it in terms of direction as opposed to the long slog walking up the Kemmel

Pouhon the barrier is further away than a lot of spots, but still good view. Last year like a lot of people it seemed I just curled up and fell asleep on the bank at something o'clock in the morning.

Then it become poorer viewing for a bit, you can an ok view of Fagnes, albeit standing in a car pack.

I'm told you can view from the outside of Fagnes and Paul Frere but I dont know where?

As far I am aware you have to cut from Fagnes down the bank along a path and under the circuit at the start of Blanchimont. The speed at that point is insane, especially at night as you are standing in the trees.

You then reach the bus stop which is great to watch from. On the F1 start finish straight there is the one modern grandstand, its a bit souless but you do see cars out the chicane. One word of advice, use earplugs in the stand, the noise bounces around the roof. My ears were ringing for 2 hours after being in there for night quali a few years ago.

You cant get great views of La Source as its the one place they have multiple layers of fence (for sensible reasons). But there is a good spot if you walk along from the grandstand up to the ramp out the car park. You get a pretty clear view over the fence of cars braking into the hairpin. Also you can get a bit of a view from inside the paddock (the cars use a long pit lane covering both pits, regardless where their box is, they have to enter at the bus stop run all the way through and exit at Raidllon (which makes all the drive throughs for track limits bewildering))

A few other good spots are:
Above the F1 pits, you can access it via the Paddock, its kinda the same view but better from the Le Mans pits grandstand. In the same place is the restaurant which is stunning views of the run up to and includng final chicane from the outside balcony (and you can also see a strange angle of Eau Rouge across the valley). To get in, you need to buy tokens (e2.50 a drink last year), its not cheap, but if you always have a drink they seem content. The food in there is good, its buffet arrangement for e18 or so, so not cheap, but its nice occaisionly to have non stody burger food.

2 other spots worth noting, you can get up on the old pits roof, its busier than the F1 pits but worth a view for a bit. Also at the bottom of the Eau Rouge next to the pits entrance if you have a Paddock ticket you can watch cars leave the pits through a gate, also its where the support races enter the circuit, so if you want to see them lining up its worth going down. Great for photos.

Non viewing related, but make sure you watch the Super Trofeo races, those are crazy with so many Lamborginis. Also at about 11pm they have a big fire work display at Bruxelles, which is watchable from a lot of the circuit.

In terms of driving, it's better to walk. I guess you could drive to avoid walking up the Kemmel straight, but I suspect by the time you park you'll be walking at far anyway

This year there are additional temporary grandstands, during the Bronze test I enjoyed the one on the inside of Eau Rouge, it's relatively shaded and a good view as they can down the hill
Thanks Mountain Man and Anyopenroad for the great tips. I never expected such an detailed respond and it got all my questions covered. I was at the circuit for the first time last evening and stayed at the temp. grandstand at the inside of Eau Rouge and the experience with the GT3s flying past is amazing.

Just one more question though, I was instructed to park at Parking Lot 4, which is a 15 minutes walk from the circuit. Is it possible for me to park at Parking Lot 1/2 which is a lot closer or it is being reserved to specific ticket holders?
Old 27 Jul 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3839039)   #73
Mountain Man
Racer

Really unfortunate for Bentley, they would easily have made Super Pole, instead it's 61st
Old 27 Jul 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3839060)   #74
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im disappointed with the Castrol Honda entry, i thought with all the PR around the NSX competing in the race that they would run with a pro line up.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3839064)   #75
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ad

Have to agree with everything Mountain has said ............
To add my ten pence worth - we drove to LEs Combes yesterday and got parked easily and spent FP1 around Bruxells and the general area. Great viewing and easy access - this WILL change over the weekend as the campsites at LEs Combes get busier and parking then will certainly be a issue. Spa becomes one big party at night with a great atmosphere and lots too watch and do .......

But just a small warning - Les Combes will get VERY lively at night and not the safest place to be as there are many very drunk people up there. So far we have found BElgiuns to be incredibly friendly and polite ....... Not sure that it will stay the same on SAt night when the GErmans arrive!

One other word of warning - however much water you take with you this weekend - it will not be enough - yesterday was almost unbearable att times and had to take refuge in the pit bar/Resturaunt quite a few timesI hope you are fit because this place will kill you - great event but very very hard work physically if you want to see as much as possible

Have a great time and let us all know how you got on