Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3239137)   #226
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Wolfgang Hatz

"But the final decision was the only logical one. F1 was an alternative, but the road relevance is not there.

Also, there is a lot of publicity around politics and tyres, but not so much about the engines and chassis.
Very very good points Mr Hatz.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3239346)   #227
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The quote ended with: "The aero, too, is incredible, but so extreme that it cannot result in any development in our road car understanding."

Of course, when Porsche engines were last used if F1, the regulations were geared more towards road cars. Not! When were they ever?

Pirelli say that the majority of the teams are happy with the tyre situation. If they weren't, I'm sure that Pirelli would do something other than make the hard tyre a bit harder.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...compound-tyre/

Last edited by Marbot; 25 Apr 2013 at 17:18.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3239352)   #228
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The real reason Porsche won't come back is the sudden proliferation of on-track debris I am sure.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3239357)   #229
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Pirelli say that the majority of the teams are happy with the tyre situation. If they weren't, I'm sure that Pirelli would do something other than make the hard tyre a bit harder.
most teams celebrate mediocrity these days so why wouldnt they love the lottery?

i know a tad harsh because most teams cant spend on the same level as the big boys but among my many other complaints cutting spending is still a better option than tires and rules which negate the aero and money advantage.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3239358)   #230
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The real reason Porsche won't come back is the sudden proliferation of on-track debris I am sure.
Agreed. The FIA must really do something about the cars hitting each other unnecessarily, but instead it comes up with more rules to make parts of the bodywork even stiffer.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3239365)   #231
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
most teams celebrate mediocrity these days so why wouldnt they love the lottery?
That's a tad harsh.

Quote:
i know a tad harsh because most teams cant spend on the same level as the big boys but among my many other complaints cutting spending is still a better option than tires and rules which negate the aero and money advantage.
I agree. Which is why I was all for the budget cap and major regulations shake up, back in 09.

The rest is history, and so I'll champion the cause of a tyre manufacturer that aims to provide tyres that don't mean that the highest spending teams always grab the limelight, even though that still seems to be the case, anyway.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3239391)   #232
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just pleased Pirelli haven't completely caved in to Horner's incessant moaning.

That would have been very wrong.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3239467)   #233
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Probably the most devastatingly accurate post ever, WOW!
Old 25 Apr 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3239473)   #234
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I'm just pleased Pirelli haven't completely caved in to Horner's incessant moaning.

That would have been very wrong.
Who is going to moan more, Horner over the Pirellis or F1 fans and media in general when Vettel and RBR inevitably win their 4th consecutive championship this year?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3239474)   #235
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed. The FIA must really do something about the cars hitting each other unnecessarily, but instead it comes up with more rules to make parts of the bodywork even stiffer.
That's because they do not understand that something is actually wrong with the sport.... They assume that everything is all right so they simply move in one direction (strength) to deal with the problem rather than analysing why it is happening.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 05:04 (Ref:3239510)   #236
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I love f1 I agree with Porsche that the tech development, especially with relation to road cars, is going to come from LMP. I'm hoping next years rule changes will negate the need for tires like we have currently.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3239712)   #237
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Probably the most devastatingly accurate post ever, WOW!
thanks

i hope it didnt come across as saying that i hate F1 though. like most of us on here i really do love F1 but also love to hate it at the same time.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3239719)   #238
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Porsche R&D chief, Hatz, also added these comments with regard to hybrid technology being used on its sports car range. He was at the Chinese launch of the Porsche Panamera plug-in hybrid limousine.

"There is no desire to use the technology in our pure sports cars today," before adding: "Nobody can pretend Porsche is a green company…"

It seems that F1 is (or soon will be) too 'green' for Porsche.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3239830)   #239
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche R&D chief, Hatz, also added these comments with regard to hybrid technology being used on its sports car range. He was at the Chinese launch of the Porsche Panamera plug-in hybrid limousine.

"There is no desire to use the technology in our pure sports cars today," before adding: "Nobody can pretend Porsche is a green company…"

It seems that F1 is (or soon will be) too 'green' for Porsche.
Porsche is required per the LMP1 regulations to use a hybrid system
Old 27 Apr 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3239934)   #240
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is getting a bit off topic but...

In my opinion, the simple reason Porsche don't want to be in F1 is that it will cost a lot of money and time to be successful. It will also be embarrassing if they do badly.

Their Sportscar budget can be smaller, they will be against less competition, they have a higher chance of success for their desired budget.

I think it has nothing to do with Tyres or Technology.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3240562)   #241
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
With no moaning from Red Bull about the tyres at Bahrain, and with a "tweak" from Pirelli, I fear I will be cheesed off with most if not all of the remaining GPs because Vettel will romp to another easy title. Mark Webber, with the only car to challenge that, will not do so because he's broken now I reckon. I can hope for rain at every race I suppose.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3240632)   #242
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's sounds like Horner has been lobbying them. Let's hope things haven't been too conspiracy-led. Reminds me of the Schumacher/ Ferrari days, but nowhere near as bad.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3240650)   #243
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't believe that RBR can push for changes that the likes of Ferrari don't want to happen.
If Horner had so much power RBR would still be running blown diffusers.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3240793)   #244
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Can't believe that RBR can push for changes that the likes of Ferrari don't want to happen.
If Horner had so much power RBR would still be running blown diffusers.
Exactly right!
Old 30 Apr 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3240872)   #245
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
It probably is exactly right, but they did complain about the tyres because their downforce advantage was negated to an extent, and basically, their better designed car was "dumbed down".
Ferrari or anybody else will just have to grin and bear it from now on, if tyres are like those at Bahrain for the remaining races, and you won't be hearing RBR moaning about tyres.
Old 30 Apr 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3240975)   #246
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Marko wants further tweakings : source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Marko
"We want a tyre that does not restrict our potential," Marko told a group of journalists at the Red Bull Ring in Austria. "It ought to be that you can get the maximum out of the car. Currently it is a compromise, the car has to be adjusted to minimise pit-stops.
"We have two top drivers, which is not cheap. Then you have to tell them not to drive flat out through certain corners and that is not easy. This distorts competition."
Old 30 Apr 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3240977)   #247
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marko and Red Bull can shut their traps. It's their fault they didn't design a car to the regulations. I wish they would shut up.
Old 1 May 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3241194)   #248
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Marko and Red Bull can shut their traps. It's their fault they didn't design a car to the regulations. I wish they would shut up.
Bernie does not agree with you ...
Old 1 May 2013, 02:50 (Ref:3241195)   #249
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Marko is a destructive prick, I like the sentiment from you though...
Old 1 May 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3241306)   #250
jsTrecu
Veteran

Well, it seems they won't stop moaning anytime soon...
Mateschitz joins Marko : source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateschitz
"Formula one no longer has anything to do with 'classic' racing," said the Austrian, according to the Daily Mirror.
"Today, it's not the fastest driver in the fastest car who wins, but the one with the optimum tyre management."We've even had to scale down our car, because the tyres were not lasting," he added.
"If we really went as fast as we can, we would need ten to fifteen pit stops."

Do you think it's possible to see Ferrari and/or Mercedes start complaining soon if they continue to suffer punctures and delaminated tyres on their cars ? I mean, Mercedes problems with these Pirellis have been worse than Red Bull's so far, and those punctures on Massa's car weren't pretty either...
I don't think Ferrari will, but even if Mercedes can fight for a pole their race pace is not good enough to win a GP with the actual amount of degradation. Is it safe to assume that better tyres would give them a better chance ? Both Hamilton and Rosberg have shown some serious pace in the right conditions.
And it wasn't pretty to see Nico dropping back form 1st to 9th in Bahrain, was it ?