Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3728898)   #1351
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gerard, I don't know the Bethune Festival - I can imagine parking could be difficult!

Have you ever been to Christophe Pund's 1st May party?
Not been before but it sounds like a nice event (Christophe's house/chateau is great) and was thinking of taking the Lotus 6 but I can't get it registered in time (and it would take even longer to get my trailer registered)...
Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3728900)   #1352
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jean you will probably be glad to hear that France is coming on the historic racing scene by now… Last year, our good old Asavé through Alain Goupy (who speaks English!) re-introduced the pre 66 series. This year, we have a trophy with Mazda MX5. What is the proverb? Ah, yes, slowly but… slowly!
Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3728901)   #1353
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Not been before but it sounds like a nice event (Christophe's house/chateau is great) and was thinking of taking the Lotus 6 but I can't get it registered in time (and it would take even longer to get my trailer registered)...

It certainly looks fun - there's always next year!
Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3728902)   #1354
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Jean you will probably be glad to hear that France is coming on the historic racing scene by now… Last year, our good old Asavé through Alain Goupy (who speaks English!) re-introduced the pre 66 series. This year, we have a trophy with Mazda MX5. What is the proverb? Ah, yes, slowly but… slowly!
The next step is to persuade all your friends to come to Croix again! The GP Historique used to be a really nice meeting but not for a couple of years.

All the other circuits in France are a long way from here.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3728933)   #1355
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Intrigued by the General Election! No, not ours- the French one.......

'Frexit' maybe?
Old 24 Apr 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3728940)   #1356
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Intrigued by the General Election! No, not ours- the French one.......

'Frexit' maybe?
It's not all over yet! Could well be Frexit - Marine also happens to be my MEP anyway.

Looks like the establishment will stitch her up so we end-up with Macaroon, Hollande's sock-puppet who is in thrall to Brussels.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3728954)   #1357
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I've had better weekends . At least I'm not driving home from Hockenheim. Having a couple or three beers in Airport at Frankfurt.
Had a rather splendid weekend at Kirkistown.

If it's on the calendar again next year just tell your drivers it's there or nowhere.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3728956)   #1358
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Do you too rely on what financial markets "say"? Months ago, France was underrated because Marine could win. Today, the rating suddenly went up, meaning probably "Macaroon de le Touquet" is about to win with no problem. A pure marketing product, sold like any washing powder.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3728958)   #1359
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My vote card is full of stamps. As always. But I think the whole system is rotten. What is voting here? It consists in asking people to give full power to other people they dont really know with absolutely no proof they can do the job. And they still dont have to do what they promised to do. Could be funny but not at all in fact.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3728959)   #1360
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

If it's on the calendar again next year just tell your drivers it's there or nowhere.
Yes I know I know . Missed going .
Old 24 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3728964)   #1361
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Do you too rely on what financial markets "say"? Months ago, France was underrated because Marine could win. Today, the rating suddenly went up, meaning probably "Macaroon de le Touquet" is about to win with no problem. A pure marketing product, sold like any washing powder.
Gerard, you say washing powder, but surely we have a macaroon created by a flamby. Could such a thing be digestible, or will it just leave a nasty taste??

... and continuing the theme, from where will the macaroon cook up a government?
Old 24 Apr 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3728968)   #1362
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

I forgot to ask you yesterday Grant. Were you one of the hardcore who were still in the bar at 04:00 yesterday morning? As you say, a great weekend and I'm going to do all I can to make sure it's on the calendar next year.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3729029)   #1363
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I forgot to ask you yesterday Grant. Were you one of the hardcore who were still in the bar at 04:00 yesterday morning? As you say, a great weekend and I'm going to do all I can to make sure it's on the calendar next year.
No Alan, I wimped out at about 02:00 or a little after, spent a few minutes gazing at the stars as it was a very clear night and then retired.

Although still in the bar area my intake had been controlled, given the early morning drive to the ferry, so there was an opportunity to observe from a sober perspective which was quite entertaining in itself.

I would be tempted to make a longer trip next time and play the tourist for a couple of days in addition to the event. It seemed like a lovely area to visit with or without the added attraction of some racing.

ETA: There were four of us on the Ferry back to Liverpool yesterday so the best part of 9 hours were spent chatting and swapping stories. I had planned to do some work but the chat was far too interesting.

That and the need of some of the other (much younger) passengers to use the the bench seating as beds and so make it a little challenging to gain access to the electrical power points. It was far busier on the return trip than it had been on the way out.

Last edited by grantp; 25 Apr 2017 at 01:56.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 05:57 (Ref:3729046)   #1364
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, quite right. We gonna have a very nasty taste one morning or another. If ever we wake up!La gueule de bois va être terrible.
How things go here? Simple. When Giscard was at wheel he could be spot at 2 am driving flat out a borrowed Ferrari "slightly" done, leaving the famous Castel night club.
Flamby-the-first used a trap door from Elysée to go for a ride with his scooter… Destination? His mistress living rue du Cirque. Poor France. Sad clowns.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3729050)   #1365
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes I know I know . Missed going .
I reckon you probably saved your liver in the process, though!

Grant, sounds like Donington this weekend will be a bit of a let down for you.....
Old 25 Apr 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3729057)   #1366
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
But I think the whole system is rotten. What is voting here? It consists in asking people to give full power to other people they dont really know with absolutely no proof they can do the job. And they still dont have to do what they promised to do. Could be funny but not at all in fact.
Nothing different there!

Quote:
Do you too rely on what financial markets? Months ago, France was underrated because Marine could win. Today, the rating suddenly went up, meaning probably "Macaroon de le Touquet" is about to win with no problem. A pure marketing product, sold like any washing powder.
Yep. Soon as our election was announced the Pound shot up in value, but because of that, the FTSE dropped similarly.

Fingers crossed at least the diesel I will have to buy in Belgium and France during the next couple of months will cost me less! But of course it could all change again.....
Old 25 Apr 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3729062)   #1367
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Nothing different there!

Yep. Soon as our election was announced the Pound shot up in value, but because of that, the FTSE dropped similarly.

Fingers crossed at least the diesel I will have to buy in Belgium and France during the next couple of months will cost me less! But of course it could all change again.....
Diesel's not particularly cheap here at the moment, at around 1.23. It was cheaper in Germany when I was in Essen a couple of weeks ago. Somebody over from England last week commented that petrol was about the same in England & France.

I notice the Remoaners were quick to blame Brexit for fuel prices in England, but of course that's not the case.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 07:53 (Ref:3729063)   #1368
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John, quite right. We gonna have a very nasty taste one morning or another. If ever we wake up!La gueule de bois va être terrible.
How things go here? Simple. When Giscard was at wheel he could be spot at 2 am driving flat out a borrowed Ferrari "slightly" done, leaving the famous Castel night club.
Flamby-the-first used a trap door from Elysée to go for a ride with his scooter… Destination? His mistress living rue du Cirque. Poor France. Sad clowns.
I guess Macaroon will be dancing to Merkel's tune - he does seem to like older women!!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:37 (Ref:3729072)   #1369
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Diesel's not particularly cheap here at the moment, at around 1.23. It was cheaper in Germany when I was in Essen a couple of weeks ago. Somebody over from England last week commented that petrol was about the same in England & France.
Sorry, I meant from the exchange rate aspect, not actual cost.

Spain still the place to buy diesel- bit off route though.....
Old 25 Apr 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3729076)   #1370
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I guess Macaroon will be dancing to Merkel's tune - he does seem to like older women!!
Are you a naughty boy, John? Yes, many things are cheaper in Spain compare to F.

Mike, you can avoid to pay your diesel in France en route to Spa.
Did you clear the mandatory pit stop thingy from analyzing the different stops at Jarama? Last year in Belgium, the pit marshall checked us with his wrist watch. Not very accurate I think…

Yesterday, we went to Tour Auto parc fermé. I wonder how Yvan Mahé will manage with a monstrous '63 Galaxie on our B roads. Any U turn is out of question!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3729092)   #1371
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Sorry, I meant from the exchange rate aspect, not actual cost.

Spain still the place to buy diesel- bit off route though.....

To save you going to Spa via Spain, do you know there's a big Auchan supermarket right beside the motorway at Dunkerque? I forget the junction number but it's near the chemical works & signposted as Zone Commerciale.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:18 (Ref:3729094)   #1372
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, if Mike passes after our elections may be he should look for a Zoll Kommercial sign… And may be pay with DM bank notes!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3729095)   #1373
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John, if Mike passes after our elections may be he should look for a Zoll Kommercial sign… And may be pay with DM bank notes!
It won't be long now. There'll be sauerkraut everywhere!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3729098)   #1374
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I reckon you probably saved your liver in the process, though!

Grant, sounds like Donington this weekend will be a bit of a let down for you.....
Not too bad assuming we are doing the Curry thing on Thursday evening.

The full weekend is a bit unknown as yet. There is a suggestion of grandson caring at some point so I'm not yet sure how much of the time is my own not when that time might be.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3729103)   #1375
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
To save you going to Spa via Spain, do you know there's a big Auchan supermarket right beside the motorway at Dunkerque? I forget the junction number but it's near the chemical works & signposted as Zone Commerciale.
Most supermarche fuel stations appear to be designed so that trucks can't get in, so I don't even consider them. When I'm in a van, then of course!

I get pee'd off in France now when I have to pre-pay for diesel, and tell the attendant how much I need. I've always been used to brimming if the price is right, so they are losing out! In Spain the other week I could fill to the top without any concern.....

Talking of access, the other day there was a constructor type 8 wheeler on the pumps at JS in town. Apart from it blocking access to about 3 other pumps, imagine how long it would take to put 300 litres in via a normal pump! I'm guessing some safety feature would shut it down after 100 anyway.......