Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2007, 17:52 (Ref:2037895)   #1
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA appoint Alonso his own Scrutineer for Brazil

"The FIA plans to appoint a special official at next weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix to ensure that McLaren’s Fernando Alonso and team mate Lewis Hamilton receive equal treatment"

This is an absolute disgrace, Mclaren have said they will give them equal treatment, and so they should.

However it is Mclaren who pay the wages for these employees, it has got nothing to do with the FIA how Mclaren treat their drivers, what equipment they give them and who they want to win (obvious team orders aside - Ferrari/Austria).

Funnily enough it never bothered them about Schumacher for all those years (Austria an exception)

If I were Ron Denis, Alonso would be cleaning the hospitality unit in Brazil, not racing for the team, good riddance to the sneaky cry baby – send him to Flavio next year.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:00 (Ref:2037899)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed, they didnt do it for Senna and Prost either...

F.I.A. = F<ahem> Inadequate A<ahem>!!!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:14 (Ref:2037907)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
indeed, they didnt do it for Senna and Prost either...

F.I.A. = F<ahem> Inadequate A<ahem>!!!
Nope.

F.I.A. = Ferrari International Assistance.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:18 (Ref:2037908)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I completely disagree

This is just for the final round so incidents before involving Mr S or anything like that doesn't come into it

Obviously the FIA have been drawn to something, namely the alleged tampering with Alonso's tyre pressures at China. They wouldn't send someone in to keep an eye on it if they didn't think there was a problem or Fernando was making it up. IMO it's very likely that something has happened there - where there's smoke, there's fire

I think it's a good decision. Hopefully it'll keep it fair on that side of things, although I should imagine there are other things which they don't have control over
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2037910)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
where there's smoke, there's fire
There you go then. Conclusive proof that every accusation, especially those spread on the internet, is true. No doubt.
Remember though, lightning never strikes the same place twice...

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Oct 2007 at 18:26.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:30 (Ref:2037918)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a thought....if Alonso goes one way and Hamilton another with their setup, how can anyone other than someone with the knowledge of how McLaren operate in such a situation possibly hazard an opinion as to whether equal treatment is being given?

Which begs the question where does the FIA find such an impartial person with such knowledge?

And that person could never be seen talking to anyone from another F1 team, since he will - by having to monitor everything - be privy to McLaren methods and systems. And we wouldn't want another scandal of other teams suddenly using Mclaren methods would we......?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:37 (Ref:2037921)   #7
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The FIA chap won't actually do anything, its just the FIA trying to lend some credibility to Hamilton's Championship win after the fiasco this year has been with cheating / qualifying / press / etc..

Its pretty obvious from comments Bernie has made that F1 needs Hamilton to extend its global appeal / new sponsors / etc..

That's the only reason Alonso and Hamilton kept their points, imo
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:37 (Ref:2037922)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what will the FIA do if:

Either McLaren has a huge accident because of a faulty wheel gun ......disqualify the other driver ?

either driver has a tyre delamination.....disqualify the other or ban Bridgestone ?

an engine or anything breaks in qually or the race.....

the team forget to fuel one driver in qually 2 ??

It's a total farce
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2037932)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think "equal equipment" should read "equal opportunity". It's impossible to make both cars the same, but I'm sure McLaren will ensure both drivers have the same chance to win if they can.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2037935)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
So what will the FIA do if:

Either McLaren has a huge accident because of a faulty wheel gun ......disqualify the other driver ?

either driver has a tyre delamination.....disqualify the other or ban Bridgestone ?

an engine or anything breaks in qually or the race.....

the team forget to fuel one driver in qually 2 ??

It's a total farce
Quite, if the team genuinely make a mistake then I fear that McLaren will be convicted because there is no smoke without fire.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:56 (Ref:2037937)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So then Alonso has to win the championship otherwise Mclaren will be guilty. Lovely how the FIA must try and meddle in the best showdown in years. Another ludicrous decision. The list is growing.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2037938)   #12
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It must be plain to all by now that McLaren want Hamilton to win the championship (and why not?),and will part company with Alonso at season's end.

On this basis, why doesn't Ron Dennis simply fire/suspend Alonso BEFORE the Brazilian race and save himself an awful lot of hassle. Based on Alonso's recent outburst's,I'm sure a good lawyer could find grounds for "suspension" at the very least!

Alonso's off to Renault next year anyway so why should McLaren give him a sniff of lifting the title - he's not exactly been the model employee!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:58 (Ref:2037939)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But surely the FIA wouldn't send anyone in if they thought Fernando was bulling, as that would just be a waste of money and time. He wasn't way down on Lewis' time in Q3 at China for no reason when the tyre tamping supposedly happened, and neither did Fernando throw his helmet around the room for no reason

It all sounds suspicious. Until recently I'd have thought McLaren would be above such things but my opinion has changed lately
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2037956)   #14
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
But surely the FIA wouldn't send anyone in if they thought Fernando was bulling, as that would just be a waste of money and time. He wasn't way down on Lewis' time in Q3 at China for no reason when the tyre tamping supposedly happened, and neither did Fernando throw his helmet around the room for no reason

It all sounds suspicious. Until recently I'd have thought McLaren would be above such things but my opinion has changed lately
What explains all the other times Hamilton has beaten Alonso during the year ?

Pat Symonds said in an interview before China "He (Alonso) only had one very, very small chink in his armour when he drove for us," Symonds explained, "and that was the inability to accept being beaten".

That is what we have been seeing all year, if Hamilton beats Alonso in qualifying and/or a race it must be McLaren favouring the rookie, if Alonso is ahead he is quiet.

The Spanish Federation have stirred the FIA into this action and it's a farce.

Paranoid isn't the word
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2037962)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
It must be plain to all by now that McLaren want Hamilton to win the championship (and why not?),and will part company with Alonso at season's end.
I dare say that they do want Hamilton to win, that doesn't mean they won't give Alonso the chance.

Ron loves his fair treatment thing and (I think) in a perverse way will like how it shows that they are fair if Alonso wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
What about Indy and Canada and other races where Hamilton suddenly got it in the last run? Is that smoke too?
How does Alonso scoring more points since Hungary fit in with the suspicions? Is not McLaren leaving Hamilton out too long on the wrong tyres not suspicious? Does that mean that they favour Alonso, like they did in Monaco? If it the other way round would it be suspicious? How does Alonso finishing ahead in all the races after Hungary where both McLaren's finished fit in with the hinder Alonso's chance theory? If McLaren are trying to do that then they aren't doing a very good job at it, and why wait until the final race to do it either?
Quote:
There is nothing to dispute that they aren't, only previous examples to say they are fair.

You suspiciously sound like Luca de Montezemolo, does that mean you are a plant to push these rumours? Suspicion says you are...
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2037973)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I hate the modern incarnation of Ferrari

It's not just because Lewis beat him. It's because Lewis beat him by 0.7s with about the same fuel level and having made no mistakes - having been quicker than him the whole weekend

And for the record I think Lewis' accident was his own fault. But that's a different debate
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:26 (Ref:2037974)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Lewis was lighter, wasn't he? Even if not, it is possible that Hamilton put a very good lap together and Alonso didn't. It has happened before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
And for the record I think Lewis' accident was his own fault. But that's a different debate
Yes, er, who mentioned it?

I'm Sorry jab, but I do not accept that as even an indication, let alone proof.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Oct 2007 at 19:36.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2037980)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
I hate the modern incarnation of Ferrari

It's not just because Lewis beat him. It's because Lewis beat him by 0.7s
Alonso drives for Ferrari? You know something we don't?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:36 (Ref:2037981)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Lewis was lighter, wasn't he?
3 laps, but that's not worth 0.7
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:38 (Ref:2037983)   #20
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was hoping things couldn't get any worse! This is utterly ridiculous. If such a scrutineer is necessary now where has he been for for the last 57 years. I hope that the FIA disqualify Fangio from the races where he took over a team mates car. Schumacher's whole Ferrari career was based on designated number 1 status, with no chance of equal treatment, so all those races must all be under investigation. I think this may be the last season I put up with thiss farce. The mardy boys have taken over the sport and it stinks.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:38 (Ref:2037984)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
3 laps, but that's not worth 0.7
Fine, but I still fail to see how this means McLaren tampered with Alonso's car! Maybe, just maybe, Alonso was slower/Hamilton faster.

BTW, how much is 3 laps of fuel worth?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:39 (Ref:2037985)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It will all be a moot point anyway as Alonso and Hamilton will take each other out of the race Prost & Senna @ Suzuka style, and Kimi will take the championship.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:40 (Ref:2037987)   #23
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab

It's not just because Lewis beat him. It's because Lewis beat him by 0.7s with about the same fuel level and having made no mistakes - having been quicker than him the whole weekend
Hamilton pitted 3 laps earlier than Alonso, beat him in Qually 1, was always close to Alonso during practice and would be expected to improve session by session as he had never seen the track before, let alone driven it.

There have been tracks where Alonso was clearly better, some where Hamilton was faster and some where it was close and an error or perfect lap made the difference......I believe it's called competition
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:51 (Ref:2037991)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Suspiciously at the British Red Bull Team, who's technical director has worked with David Coulthard for years, many of which were at McLaren, we saw DC out qualify Webber by 0.534s! Presumably he was nobbled to a lesser degree? DC was four laps lighter, BTW.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2037998)   #25
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Maybe, just maybe, Alonso was slower/Hamilton faster.
Impossible man, it's far too simple an explanation.

3 laps won't explain the 7 tenths, but if you combine the fact that Alonso maybe had a badish lap, Lewis a perfect one and Alonso running slightly heavier it could.