Old 12 Aug 2003, 03:18 (Ref:685776)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carl Haas may retire at end of year

Fellows,

Due to health concerns (he has had some "scares and calls", particularly high blood pressure, in the last years) - and also feeling that "he has done his share for the sport" - it is possible that Carl Haas will retire from motorsport at the end of the year.

Haas has always stated that "once I decide to go, I would be out that same day" - but then, on the other hand, I heard from two insiders (one of them Toninho da Matta, Cristiano's father) that Haas had several conversations with Paul Newman last year regarding his (Haas') retiremeent.

One should also pay a closer look on how the Newman-Haas has restructured himself twice in recent years. It was not a mere change of names and titles: instead, the team created an organization that foster the development of people that can be at (its) very top in years to come. I also remember an interview with Paul Newman when he - on a somewhat veiled manner - expressed concepts and ideas very close to this sort of "training filiere".

Now, in parallel, on a rather conjectural mode...

Ten Tenths' member The Snout opened a thread about Paul Newman's statement that "Wednesday is the day". Linking both things, it is possible that...

1.) Paul Newman, a very savvy businessman with excellent contacts inside and outside of the sport, becames the catalyzer of a CART buy-out;

2.) Newman, a man universally recognized for his business ethics, would step down of Newman-Haas due to conflict of interest reasons;

3.) Haas, for the motives above exposed, annouces his retirement;

4.) Newman-Haas reshapes itself as a complete new organization, with the managers that now are waiting on the winds of Paul and Carl.

Very hypothetical, but - at least to me - it makes some sense.

Cheers,

Muzza

(P.S.: I might have posted this under the "Paul Newman saying Wednesday's the day", but as a matter of respect for Haas - a man I had to learn to like, and who I came to appreciate with the passing of time - I opted to create another thread on its own)

Last edited by Muzza; 12 Aug 2003 at 03:18.