Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Mar 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1559153)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new probans for a trianee marshal

hi guys, as i mentioned in the anglesey post i have 2 friends who are both trainees, the only problem we have is that one of the guys is at the moment on jobseekers allowance having been made redundant a few weeks ago. he wants to start marshalling as much as he can this year and plans to attend most of the oulton and anglesey events plus a few at mallory, the problem is money, i am taking him to and from the events and also i am paying for his bmmc membership so he can get his grading cards but a set of probans is over a months worth of his money and as much of a mate he is i cant just throw, in all with his membership £60 away.
i asked allistair for some advice which i will follow up on sunday at anglesey ( nadine aka marshalgirl look out because i have been asked to see you) but does anyone either have any ideas or even an old set of probans we can get or buy off you?
Old 24 Mar 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1559416)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure someone will be able to help - an idea of his height and build would probably be helpful. Probably more chance if he's a skinny lad - I don't know about anyone else but my Probans certainly shrink in the wardrobe over the winter and I doubt I'm the only one!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1559430)   #3
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I can't help him much with the Probans. But make sure he gets the marshalling down on his CV. Employers do like to see willingness to work as part of a team, initiative, etc etc.

Can you give him our best wishes in his job hunt. It can be a tiresome, soul destroying experience, but if he keeps trying, there'll be some thing somewhere!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1559465)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Get your friends measurements etc and post them here. There may well be someone who has an old set of overals who would be willing to send them free of change to help your friend. If you get the measurements I will aslo see if we have any old stock at the BMMc which we may be able to help with.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1559543)   #5
burly
Rookie

England
Near Mallory Park
burly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are doing any 750MC meetings they have a scheme which will help towards cost of new overalls. PM me for more details as I run the scheme. If, as suggested, you give us an idea of your friend's size I have several pairs of overalls and maybe able to help. I am a Mallory regular and live nearby so would be easy to get them to you. May be able to help with one or two other bits as well. The FC and I will be there on Sunday if that's any help.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1559570)   #6
tidykiwi
Rookie

New Zealand
Derbyshire, UK
tidykiwi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have the official orange proban overalls to marshal. You can pick up ordinary overalls from a builders supply yard for next to nothing (less than £10), which will do the job fine. I spent my first season marshalling in a set of borrowed blue workman's overalls before investing in the orange probans.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1559703)   #7
burly
Rookie

England
Near Mallory Park
burly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I would agree it is not absolutley necessary to have orange probans, I would suggest the alternative as orange welding overalls which offer a bit more protection but at the very least they need to be cotton overalls, not a man made fibre and avoid the colours of the flags, that is red, yellow and blue. Wearing orange does help you to feel one of the team as well and helps to identify you to other people as a marshal.

If anyone needs contacts for clothing, including outer wear PM me as I have several contacts that are reasonable in cost whilst providing what we need.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1559833)   #8
TVRtoe
Rookie

United Kingdom
Warrington
TVRtoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free Probans

My marshalling pal has a pair of probans you can have for free. We are going to the Oulton Park meeting on 1st April. So let me know if you want them & we'll meet up at sign on.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1559881)   #9
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should have an 'Excess Kit' Thread!!!!

All these probans coming out of the closet!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1559882)   #10
GreenSaxo
Racer

England
Ashford, Kent
GreenSaxo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that would be a good idea.. as im looking to purchase some soon!!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1559885)   #11
oaf
Rookie

oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

if the lad wants a water proof coat i have one he can haveallso a set of pro bans if tvroes dont fit him . let me now before april 7 as i will be in angellsy fore rallycross supper serris on the sunday just come to start line and i wiill sort you out.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1560406)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have said this elsewhere, but could there not be a scheme where we recycle our old overalls - assuming they are in reasonable condition (and who minds the odd tear) and clean.

I know I have outgrown overalls (or did they shrink?) in the past and have passed them on to newbies.

Would be happy to consider a role as "national clothing equipment re-cycler" if it ever got that far (and especially if it could be managed through 10-10ths).
Old 25 Mar 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1560420)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Looks like he'll get something sorted eventually, but that may not be in time for tomorrow. I've got a spare, non-proban orange boiler suit which I keep in the car - he's welcome to borrow that tomorrow. Come to think of it, didn't I make that offer at the Plum Pudding, only to find that I'd taken it out of the car?

I'll also have my 'summer' waterproof jacket with me - it's always in my bag for those days when 'surprise' showers happen - so if he hasn't got fixed up with waterproofs, he can borrow that as well.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1560429)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
I have said this elsewhere, but could there not be a scheme where we recycle our old overalls - assuming they are in reasonable condition (and who minds the odd tear) and clean.

I know I have outgrown overalls (or did they shrink?) in the past and have passed them on to newbies.

Would be happy to consider a role as "national clothing equipment re-cycler" if it ever got that far (and especially if it could be managed through 10-10ths).
They shrink Shelagh - it can't possibly be us ladies growing!!!

I think that's a fantastic idea, there must be a lot of kit out there that is perfectly useable but living in wardrobes because people don't want to throw it away.

I'm endeavouring to get back into my probans but I'm sure there are others who have given up!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1560439)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I keep my old ones in the back of the car. Handy if you want to change a wheel at the side of the motorway, or extinguish the odd car fire (I've done both!). That way I can lend them to new marshals for the day to tide them over until they get their own. So rather than fully recycled, they're available for free hire.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1565603)   #16
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gravel Monkey- If you look on the marshals club website there is a list of clearance clothing and contact details. You might be lucky and find something.