Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:44 (Ref:382326)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WARNING: TGF is harmful to F1's health. (The proof!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/2261082.stm

yup Ferrari domminace is hurting F1.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:52 (Ref:382337)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Tgf's dominance must be hurting F1, but that report doesn't mention the fact that last year there was no sky digital service! I don't suppose that sky digital took all those viewers away from ITV but it must contribute!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:55 (Ref:382339)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
With all due respect, is today "Stupid Thread Day"? This is the 3rd silly thread I've read in a row.

How does this prove Michael's dominance is hurting F1? (apart from the opinion of the obviously unbias writer) Who would have thought that after a championship was decided people would be less interested? I'm stunned!

When any team or driver is so dominant, the racing is going to become less thrilling, and obviously less people will tune in.

What annoys me about this thread is that it blames Michael for dominating F1.

How about renaming the thread one of these:

McLaren & Williams inability to perform is hurting F1.

or

Montoya's inability to turn a pole into a win is hurting F1.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:58 (Ref:382342)   #4
alesi95
Veteran

I'm not blaming Michael i'm just lighting the blue touch paper.

I'm staying well away from the Montoya threads if you think ours are stupid take a look at this one

http://www.f1-network.net/forums/sho...threadid=10701

Last edited by alesi95; 17 Sep 2002 at 11:03.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:01 (Ref:382346)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it doesn't blame TGF for dominating F1. What it does is blame Ferrari for fixing the races, which is what some of us have been saying since last season.

People don't bother to tune into a race that they know has been pre-determined, or at least most people apparently don't.

You may believe this is "stupid" of us, but frankly my dear ...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:03 (Ref:382347)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Link still not working alesi95.

If your trying to prove there are some really really really stupid threads, allow me to point out my moderator status. Trust me, I know
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:33 (Ref:382375)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Absolute **** that story... Sounds an awful lot like pro-English sour grapes being spewed out by the bbc...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:37 (Ref:382380)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link IS working now () if it didn't before. Anyway, why should that thread classified as stupid?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:38 (Ref:382381)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a quote from Ayrton Senna, waaaaaaay back in 1992:

"The machines have taken away tje character, and its character that the sponsors and public are looking for".

If only more people had listened back then. And that was during a time when the racing was still top notch.

Senna also made a good point in the same year, which for me, is what separates him most from modern drivers and really sums up the end of an era when the drivers were the key:

"I want to be challenged by my own limits against somebody else's limits, by someone who is skin and bone and where the difference is between brain and experiance and adaptation to the circuit, not challenged by someone else's computer".
Old 17 Sep 2002, 11:53 (Ref:382392)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

Quote:
Link IS working now () if it didn't before. Anyway, why should that thread classified as stupid?
Just don't start!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:00 (Ref:382401)   #11
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that makes me laugth with this article is how the BBC proudly state that all of the F1 fans switched over to watch their CART coverage..... what all 25 minutes of it??

I personally can't stand F1 anymore... its boring, predictable and at times an embarrasing Farse... Compared to the wealth of other motorsport that is now televised with Real racing, its rather like the old doddery aunt that is wheeled out of the oap home for sunday lunch, who reminises about 'the good old days' and farts loudly when everyone is about to tuck into desert's...

Everyone respects it... but no one is really interseted or understands it...

But for the BBC to compare what they rather embarrasingly call coverage, of CART to ITV's live F1 package is a bit rich in my opinion.... However, they have got a point about people watching the race... I only ever watch the start to see if there are any pile ups at the first corner, and then switch off... And I use to treat F1 as a religion....

Not anymore.... the F1 glory days are long gone...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:21 (Ref:382412)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95

Just don't start!
Start what? And why me? Certainly that link was unaware to me until... let's see.... at about 1 hour and 20 minutes ago? And that question was just a question: why is that thread "stupid"?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:32 (Ref:382423)   #13
alesi95
Veteran

To say that Montoya should be sacked and replaced by Villeneuve is absurd.

Thers has been a lot of unfair Montoya bushing recently saying that it is his fault that Ferrari are winning everything. Yet he is the the highest place non-ferrari driver in the championship.

If he is doing such a poor job then why is no one doing better?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:38 (Ref:382432)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an interesting point:

Even the INVISIBLE RACING LEAGUE produces better racing than F1 at the moment. Now THAT is scary!!!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:41 (Ref:382437)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Actually I couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread, but actually a guy "Williams FW14" did not say to sack Montoya; I actually noticed a question mark there, as in "It is time?"

Anyway, I appologize for the attempt to hijack the thread. MGF, did they really say that "all the fans switched to CART"? "All" of them? And I believe that I've noticed a thread like "Half of the seats at Rockingham empty!!" in the CART forum just a couple of days ago......
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:45 (Ref:382445)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
f1s problems were summed up with itvs piece on launch control -

"activate launch control with one hand, press go button with the other" what happened to first gear and a clutch?!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:53 (Ref:382452)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh gosh.... I read the BBC article. Of course "the flow of traffic departing ITV1 may well have consisted of dissatisfied fans heading for BBC[...]" was of course just an innocent and friendly remark.

Last edited by Red; 17 Sep 2002 at 12:53.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:55 (Ref:382455)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
"I want to be challenged by my own limits against somebody else's limits, by someone who is skin and bone and where the difference is between brain and experiance and adaptation to the circuit, not challenged by someone else's computer".
Damon, I agree with you. But I'm sure this is the same opinion Michael, Juan and the rest of the field would also say if you asked them.
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
To say that Montoya should be sacked and replaced by Villeneuve is absurd.
Yes , that is dumb.

I think some of the "Montoya" bashing is mainly because his supporters (like alot of Michaels) have blown him up to god like status. From this we can only be disappointed. Some members believe he can (and should be) taking the fight to Michael. The reality is very different.

At this point in time, Michael is at the top of his game, driving the best he ever has. His confidence, skill level & experience are at his peak. To make things harder for the others, he's driving the best car & backed by the best team. And has been mentioned, its centered around him.

Juan on the other hand, is still a rookie by comparison. His raw talent is brilliant to watch, and he's obviously a natural racer. Unfortunatly, mentally, he's nowhere near Michael.

Even more unfortunate, is by the time Juan has it all together (and Williams for that matter), it will be too late. Michael will have become bored with the whole thing, and Juan will be handed the Mantel (unless Kimi takes it) rather than earning it.

Shame really, because I believe eventually he would have gotten the better of Michael.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:09 (Ref:382466)   #19
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offence taken Red.... but it seemed to me that was what the BBC were hinting at....

I beleive that Rockingham was far from full, but it looked like they had a fairly decent haul.

Anyway, the Rock is a great circuit in its Oval or road form and it deserves more racing there...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:15 (Ref:382475)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hmmmm..... after I've learned that "all of the tifosi" did not attend to the Italian GP.... I really am curious to see the atmosphere of "sold-out" GP...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:27 (Ref:382485)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Senna -- although today you could change it to read not challenged by someone else's contract .

The most telling question asked of TGF at Austria, which he did not answer out loud, was "Do you want to win the championship because you are the best driver, or because you have the best contract?"

"Duelling Contracts." Now that's sport for you.

Last edited by Liz; 17 Sep 2002 at 13:27.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:31 (Ref:382487)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
The best question ever, which noone even tries to answer is "why does he have the best contract". Any clue?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:35 (Ref:382492)   #23
alesi95
Veteran

Cus' the man knows how to communicate.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:41 (Ref:382495)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Not good enough. 7 years in a row being the best paid sportsman (plus he signed for at least 2 more years) requires more than just good communication. Any other guess?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:45 (Ref:382498)   #25
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because he uses L'oreal?