Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:02 (Ref:380662)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Next year for Rubens?

This year has seen Rubens drive better than at anyother time in his career, now that Michael has wrapped up his 5th WDC, and Rubens has been allowed "more freedom" with regards to the spare car and not supporting Michael, i wonder how he'll handle the situation come next march when he has to "help" Michael again?

After Rubens second pit stop today, where he came out in front of Michael, Michael dropped right back, wether or not he would have won the race, if they'd been allowed to fight for it will never be known, but it can only inspire more confidence in Rubens. I just wonder, come the early races in 2003, should Rubens be asked to give up any positions, knowing that he can get the job done, how he'll take it, or wether he'll find it easy to revert back to the "No 2" role?
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:06 (Ref:380665)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
He will complain bitterly about unequal treatment - but then they will wave the contract he signed in front of his face, and he'll jump straight back into Michael's lap, tail wagging...
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:07 (Ref:380666)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happened in Austria this year wont be happening again in such a big way .

Im sure Rubens will find it hard to support TGF next year , but it will be alot easier for him than it was this year for sure.

TGF looked so embarresed at the A1 Ring , it wont be happening like that again.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:10 (Ref:380671)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure a A1-ring wont happen. More likely lots of Spa's....
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:16 (Ref:380676)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rubens will do what he's told, mainly because as this season, the sooner Michael has the WDC wrapped up the sooner they'll let Rubens win races!

I bet he's secretly willing Michael to retire in 2004 though!

In a many ways it would be nice if Ferrari changed tack and allowed the drivers to begin the season as equals. Sadly their contracts say otherwise.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:20 (Ref:380680)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Rubens will do what he's told, mainly because as this season, the sooner Michael has the WDC wrapped up the sooner they'll let Rubens win races!

But surely, thats not all that Rubens wants out of his career? The chance to win races, surely he'd like the chance of a WDC?

Quote:
I bet he's secretly willing Michael to retire in 2004 though!

Agreed on that!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:35 (Ref:380708)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rubino must now believe that he could have a good crack at the WDC. If he thought he had a better chance of that with another team before Michael retires, then I'm sure he'd be tempted, but instead he re-signed for Ferrari. I think that shows he doesn't believe he could win it in a different car so he's willing to wait for Michael to step down.

He's a patient man. I hope and pray his patience is rewarded.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 15:38 (Ref:380713)   #8
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the F-2002 is so good that it makes Rubens look far better than he really is. Next season, Williams will be much stronger and Michael will be in a dog fight to win the title against the BMW Williams team so Rubens in all probablity will once again go back to playing second fiddle.

On the other hand..if next year's Ferrari is a second a lap quicker than everyone else then Rubens may win a few more races as well....but no...he wont win the title and he wont be allowed to race Michael.

Todt is still around remember!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:27 (Ref:380773)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Rubens, given equal treatment, beat Michael fair and square for the championship?

We'll never know. That's the real tradgedy of the situation.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:29 (Ref:380776)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I think that "you'll never accept" would be far more accurate. :confused:
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:30 (Ref:380777)   #11
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Could Rubens, given equal treatment, beat Michael fair and square for the championship?

IMHO, not a chance. But you are right... it would be nice to see him at least being given the chance to try.

Luca, Jean... you've proven that your car is the class of the field, and that you have the best team. Please let your drivers race next year..
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:31 (Ref:380778)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

We'll never know.
I think i know, and the answer would be..........NO, Rubens is a good driver, Michael is a fantastic driver, which, to me makes it even worse because Michael would still win the WDC (in the F2002) without Rubens help.

Last edited by Mr V; 15 Sep 2002 at 16:32.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:36 (Ref:380784)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
C'mon Mr V! Don't be so harsh! Winning the WDC by midseason is not exactly the same as "winning with Rubens help"
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:41 (Ref:380793)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
C'mon Mr V! Don't be so harsh! Winning the WDC by midseason is not exactly the same as "winning with Rubens help"
so you still think that Michael would have won the WDC so fast without Rubens help? What about Austria? or having to give up his car to Michael in Imola?

Michael would still have won the WDC without Rubens help, but not maybe so early.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:50 (Ref:380804)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hmm.... you know what Mr V? Last year, when I went to Hungaroring I witnessed Michael winning, Rubens getting second, and winning BOTH Championships! That was good!! That was really GOOD!!! This year I only "won" a Constructors championship. Granted that "I won" a Ferrar 1-2, I agree (but somehow I wouyld've liked Michael win). Anyway, yes! I DO HATE THEM FOR WINNING THE WDC AT MAGNY-COURS!!!! They could surely wait till Hungaroring!!!!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:55 (Ref:380810)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Ah, now I see!

Here's hoping you "win" both Championships next year!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 16:58 (Ref:380813)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Dammit... the way I see it I should book tickets for Imola!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:17 (Ref:380824)   #18
Surtees
Rookie

Surtees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
........I think that shows he doesn't believe he could win it in a different car so he's willing to wait for Michael to step down.....
But who's to say that if Michael steps down, Ferarri won't get another fab driver in his place, ie Montoya, then give HIM number 1 status over Rubens? Or would they be loyal to Rubens and let him have the no.1 status after all his years as the bridesmaid?
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:41 (Ref:380834)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Fullerton

But who's to say that if Michael steps down, Ferarri won't get another fab driver in his place, ie Montoya...
Sorry, does not compute!

There's no other driver out there who could justify number one status above Rubens. I think when Schumacher steps down it'll either be:

1. Even status between Rubens and a.n.other (Ralf?! JPM if he sorts his act out? Kimi??), or,

2. Rubens will be number one supported by an up and coming star - which was supposed to be Massa, but that's not looking too likely at the moment!
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:46 (Ref:380836)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

There's no other driver out there who could justify number one status above Rubens.
Sorry Garcon, don't agree here, i honestly don't see how, after spending years of being Number 2 to TGF, they think that Rubens is good enough to be Number 1. When Michael does deciede to call time on his career, i believe that Ferrari will decide that thats the time to start a new era within the team, and imho, Rubens won't be part of that era, especially as number 1.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:56 (Ref:380840)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
We shall see. Even though Rubens is a true Ferrari fan, I think he would rather move than accept number 2 status to any new driver. In which case, a new era it will be. Who is part of that era really depends on how things pan out over the next two seasons. Despite Ferrari's domination at the moment, I'd be surprised if Ralf, Kimi or JPM would (be allowed to) move. Which means finding new blood, and gambling on those on the periphery.

Jenson?! Now THAT would be good!

Last edited by garcon; 15 Sep 2002 at 17:57.
Old 15 Sep 2002, 17:59 (Ref:380842)   #22
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the day, Barras will never be world champ (in a Ferrari) as long as Shu is still there. Simply cos Ferrari and more importanly, Shu will not let that happen.

Sad but true
Old 15 Sep 2002, 18:06 (Ref:380845)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

Jenson?! Now THAT would be good!
Agreed on that!

With regards to Rafe, Kimi and JPM being allowed to move, Michael, Rubens and JPM are all contracted to their respective teams until the end of 2004 i believe, Rafe till 2003 (?), not too sure about Kimi, but, if TGF does retire at the end of 2004, JPM will be up for grabs, Ferrari will be contractually able to "out" Rubens, Should TGF decide to go at the end of next year, Rafe could be a possibility to replace his brother, or maybe bring in another driver in preperation to bring JPM in to partner the new driver when Rubens goes? Could Williams even "sell" JPM to Ferrari? (although i seriously doubt this, after all, Williams are not Jordan )

As you say though, we shall see, blimey, all this "off-track" action seems more exciting than what goes on "on the track!"
Old 15 Sep 2002, 21:47 (Ref:381013)   #24
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Next year for Rubens?

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
This year has seen Rubens drive better than at anyother time in his career, now that Michael has wrapped up his 5th WDC, and Rubens has been allowed "more freedom" with regards to the spare car and not supporting Michael, i wonder how he'll handle the situation come next march when he has to "help" Michael again?
This is a very interesting question by mr v. Rubens has driven some great races this season and had to face bad luck/bad management decisions during others.

But to be honest, I dont think he's in the same league as Michael, Juan or Kimi. I do hope that he isnt treated like a lapdog/doormat next season... i.e. if Toad and Brawn can let that happen. Logically, it's not possible. Rubens was hired to be a doormat... he was a doormat in 2000/2001/2002 and he will again be a doormat in 2003.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 00:01 (Ref:381111)   #25
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure that Rubens is under no illusions as to his role as Michael's toady. He is certainly aware that he will never be champion as long as Michael is there. So his strategy is to try to secure a drive after Michael leaves by remaining as loyal as possible, as he knows he is in the best car. By outperforming Michael occasionally, he can do a lot more for his reputation on track than if he had decided to seek a midfield drive and have his motivation destroyed by mediocrity. This way he can be seen to be under the yoke of Michael's contract, yet always taking the high road for the team.
So if the new Ferrari is as dominant, next season should play out along the same lines as this year. Lets hope the radical new Williams and Macs take a big step forward.