Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2123397)   #51
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
Its been a few days since I last logged on. What a difference a few days makes! Has this thread changed to "Slagging Formula Libre 2008"? Lets remember why we're here people, to discuss the in's and out's of our class, not slag eachother off.
I thought it was the usual good humoured Irish craic rather than slagging.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2123554)   #52
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Panther says, it would be good to get back on topic if we could.

Ignoring all that's gone before and without going into all that again, what is the general opinion amongst the drivers of splitting the class into two seperate races as Ed described earlier?

Also, is there any additional new car news? I'm still hearing from elsewhere about this mysterious Jordan. Has anyone else picked up anything juicy?

I've often wondered what the optimal type Libre car around Mondello would be, the ideal balance between nimbleness and power given the nature of the track. Not sure if they can be bought but something like a Formula Palmer Audi I think would do really well. Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2123643)   #53
libre racer
Rookie

libre racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
As Panther says, it would be good to get back on topic if we could.

Ignoring all that's gone before and without going into all that again, what is the general opinion amongst the drivers of splitting the class into two seperate races as Ed described earlier?

Also, is there any additional new car news? I'm still hearing from elsewhere about this mysterious Jordan. Has anyone else picked up anything juicy?

I've often wondered what the optimal type Libre car around Mondello would be, the ideal balance between nimbleness and power given the nature of the track. Not sure if they can be bought but something like a Formula Palmer Audi I think would do really well. Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers.
Rumor has it there is a Gould with Judd v8 on the way.Lightweight,powerful with great aero and a quick driver.Ticks all the boxes.you read it here .Turbo been done.Quick but unreliable
Old 8 Feb 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2123870)   #54
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by libre racer
Rumor has it there is a Gould with Judd v8 on the way.Lightweight,powerful with great aero and a quick driver.Ticks all the boxes.you read it here .Turbo been done.Quick but unreliable
I often wondered if a top spec hillclimb car would work and glad to see someone trying it. Just out of curioisity, is the aero on those right for racing - with the rear wing set so far back they just look so different to a conventional set up. Does it need to be altered in some way? Like you say, those Goulds are nimble as hell and with a Judd in the back that would be very interesting indeed. How many horses would that be putting out, well over 600 I should think!! Whoever has it, make sure and take the silencers off!!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2123897)   #55
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its no secret that I would not be a fan of splitting the class. It does'nt make sense from either a time point of view for the organising club or lost revenue for Mondello. The only plus side as I see it is for the likes of Noel Mc Intyre who would put less time on his donkey therefore extending his rebuild time as we all know how expensive those things are to rebuild.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2123920)   #56
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ask Michael Roche about how reliable turbo engines are. His was fast when used on hills but gave terrible trouble when asked to complete a race distance. It was some yoke to get off the line though! He actually got the engine pretty sorted but then the gearbox could'nt take it. He is going to run a "normally aspirated" XE this year so hopefully that should do the trick.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2124054)   #57
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
Ask Michael Roche about how reliable turbo engines are. His was fast when used on hills but gave terrible trouble when asked to complete a race distance. It was some yoke to get off the line though! He actually got the engine pretty sorted but then the gearbox could'nt take it. He is going to run a "normally aspirated" XE this year so hopefully that should do the trick.
I always thought Michael Roche was on the right track with that car - good balance between being nimble and lots of power. It was a shame about the reliability but he was defo on to something. The car didn't seem as quick in 07 versus 06 so perhaps he dropped the boost a bit in search of reliability.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2124071)   #58
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
The car didn't seem as quick in 07 versus 06 so perhaps he dropped the boost a bit in search of reliability.
He actually tried a bigger turbo and the engine ran better. It was the 'box that let him down. The fact that he was on 2 year old rubber probably did'nt help either. Maybe we should start a collection to get him new tyres?
Old 8 Feb 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2124169)   #59
Evil Starkey
Rookie

Evil Starkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I always thought Michael Roche was on the right track with that car - good balance between being nimble and lots of power.
That thing is about as nimble as the Exon Valdez and dumps just as much oil
Old 8 Feb 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2124400)   #60
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Starkey
Thought that was just Michael's driving style!!

Speaking of driving styles, any chance we'll see Jonathan Fildes and Simon McKinley go head to head in 08? It would be more like a drifting race! Those two guys are just spectacular and so quick.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2124465)   #61
libre racer
Rookie

Quote:
Thought that was just Michael's driving style!!

Speaking of driving styles, any chance we'll see Jonathan Fildes and Simon McKinley go head to head in 08? It would be more like a drifting race! Those two guys are just spectacular and so quick.
No point .Fildes is at a different level.Put Roche in the Lant and you will have a race.The pup couldn't live with him on the hills.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2124485)   #62
libre racer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Starkey
At least he is out there racing and we are the ones who have to clean up the oil.Anyway ,i don't think anyone can claim 100% reliability in the Libre class!
Old 9 Feb 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2124905)   #63
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No point .Fildes is at a different level.Put Roche in the Lant and you will have a race.The pup couldn't live with him on the hills.
I wouldn't necessarily rate Fildes ahead of McKinley..... or vice versa.
Be interesting to see them race against each other though. That's why this class is so popular!!
Old 9 Feb 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2125017)   #64
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
I wouldn't necessarily rate Fildes ahead of McKinley..... or vice versa.
Be interesting to see them race against each other though. That's why this class is so popular!!
Speaking of the various drivers in the class, who are regarded as the top dogs? Ignore the cars they're in because obviously there are such huge differences. We've mentioned a few already but there are others - James Lyons for example?
Old 10 Feb 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2126028)   #65
libre racer
Rookie

Quote:
Speaking of the various drivers in the class, who are regarded as the top dogs? Ignore the cars they're in because obviously there are such huge differences. We've men tioned a few already but there are others - James Lyons for example?
Here's my top ten if anyones interested.Hope this doesn't upset anyone.
1 J Fildes
2 S Mullins
3 M Roche
4 S Mckinley
5 D daly
6 J Lyons
7 K Fildes
8 S Ryan
9 B Copeland
10 E Mateson
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2126306)   #66
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Here's my top ten if anyones interested.Hope this doesn't upset anyone.
1 J Fildes
2 S Mullins
3 M Roche
4 S Mckinley
5 D daly
6 J Lyons
7 K Fildes
8 S Ryan
9 B Copeland
10 E Mateson
I woudn't disagree too much with that. I'd probably slip Jim Hutchinson in there somewhere based on his occasional outings. He is always quick.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2126367)   #67
Evil Starkey
Rookie

Evil Starkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Put Roche in the Lant and you will have a race.
He'd only break it
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2126642)   #68
stealth1
Rookie

stealth1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Libre Racer, the view from the gravel trap is not that bad then! See NEWS page soon for some breaking news re Jonathan Fildes! Agree Graz, Jimbo v quick, sold his Jade 2 & has a new Jade 3 on order ... my favourite car, cant wait to see the new one. Donal Griffin & Paul O'Connell are 2 v quick guys I'd like to see out more & F 5 drivers Mark Reade & Stephen Kershaw have big futures in motorsport if they stay involved ... like to see them test a decent 2 litre car. Eamonn M wickedly quick when that car stays going ... caught and passed Jimbo in Kirkistown one day last season, but then broke down !!**?*
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2127790)   #69
eugeneheary
Rookie

eugeneheary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the dates for the 2008 season?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2127794)   #70
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mondello events are on http://www.mondello.ie/calendar.php and Kirkistown has a sparkly new website - http://www.kirkistown.com/index.php?pid=3 -that also has their dates (although there is some confusion as some are listed as Fridays).

Not sure what events Libre are running at though.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2127868)   #71
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneheary
Does anyone know the dates for the 2008 season?
Mondello: Apr 6th, May 17/18th, June 7/8th, July 20th, Sept 13/14th.
Kirkistown: April 26th, Aug 30th.
Anglesea: July 5/6th.
Phoenix Park: Aug 9/10th.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2127940)   #72
eugeneheary
Rookie

eugeneheary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks a lot!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2128551)   #73
Panther
Rookie

Ireland
Panther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneheary
Thanks a lot!
Any truth in the rumour that you have bought a World series by Renault? Have you sold the Reynard?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2128678)   #74
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1
Nice one Libre Racer, the view from the gravel trap is not that bad then! See NEWS page soon for some breaking news re Jonathan Fildes!
Ed you're killing us - when will the news be updated or do you want to give us a morsel now?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2128739)   #75
Panther
Rookie

Ireland
Panther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ed you're killing us - when will the news be updated or do you want to give us a morsel now?
Fildes has bought one of Dan Dalys Reynards. How exciting......